Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How Much Is A Haircut?
Old 06-05-2017, 06:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How Much Is A Haircut?

Sticker shock (and i'm young). I've been living around the world for a while now and just back visiting the good ol' USA. Having sticker shock at times. I've been having some haircuts for $2-$3 and many for $10 - all overseas. In rural(ish) Texas, I just went to two places that charge $19 or $20. I'm talking standard men's haircut. These are just regular barber shops?

What do you pay?

The one that charges $20 gives you a dedicated 1/2 hour. So by my calculations, that is $40 an hour or an equivalent salary of $83,000. That is assuming he is full up for 8 hours a day. When I checked his calendar he was pretty full.
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2017, 06:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

$12 in mid state NY.
Just_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:02 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

$12 in Connecticut, usually just give him $15. He's been cutting my hair and my boys hair for years.
SteveNU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:18 PM   #4

$17 in Southern Cal, plus I give a $5 tip.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:19 PM   #5

I bought an $18 clipper 18 years ago...DW does the clipping. My hair gets cut round 20 times per year. So, by one way of reckoning, we're now down to about 5 cents per cut. Since I keep it clipped pretty short, I have trouble dishing out $15 plus tips to have it done for me...about 3-4 minutes in the chair...not a whole lot of styling going on there. I'm hoping to get another 18-20 years out of the clipper...more if I can. I'm targeting 2 cents per clip average over time, if I can keep it running that long.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:20 PM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

$12 for me too. I've paid more at other places, and I've paid less. Pretty sure I paid more a few years ago when I lived in the Austin area.

$83K, but what about overhead? If it's his own place, he's renting the space, and paying electric, insurance, water, etc. If it's not, he's probably renting the chair.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:36 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

$15 to 20 including tip depending where I go.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Looks like Texas might be a high COL state for men's haircuts. I pay $16 - $20 with tip.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:37 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by clobber View Post
Sticker shock (and i'm young). I've been living around the world for a while now and just back visiting the good ol' USA. Having sticker shock at times. I've been having some haircuts for $2-$3 and many for $10 - all overseas. In rural(ish) Texas, I just went to two places that charge $19 or $20. I'm talking standard men's haircut. These are just regular barber shops?

What do you pay?

The one that charges $20 gives you a dedicated 1/2 hour. So by my calculations, that is $40 an hour or an equivalent salary of $83,000. That is assuming he is full up for 8 hours a day. When I checked his calendar he was pretty full.
Come on. That barber does not pocket what you pay him. Somebody has to pay the shop's rent, utilities, property tax, etc.
MikeWillRetire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:45 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWillRetire View Post
Come on. That barber does not pocket what you pay him. Somebody has to pay the shop's rent, utilities, property tax, etc.
As does every business
clobber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:49 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
As does every business
Yes, but you're the one who did simple math and called it equivalent salary, when it's not.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

W. NY state: 2 different places $20 each. One includes a wash for that price the other doesn't.
Bflotomny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #13

I get slapped around i think its up to 17 bucks. This is a no frills barber shop. No bookie, no smoking , no boxing matches on the tv's. I lay a 10 dollar bill on the guy for a tip. I should get charged by the numbers of hair they cut. i would only owe them a buck. You can still go the beauty school and they charge 3 dollars. Im not a big extravagant tipper but the bride found out i was only giving him 2 bucks tip about 3 years ago and she called me a cheap skate, so im trying to make up for the past. The beauty school is a good deal if you have time to kill they take forever and put about 15 clips in your hair then the teacher comes over to inspect. I stopped going because my wife got jealous, they had all young ladies in there and she thought they were "givin me the eye". hahahah
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 07:55 PM   #14

It's $9, but my husband usually gives him $12. This guy has been cutting my husband's hair for 12 years now.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:02 PM   #15

$15 + $5 tip every 6 months.
RetireAge50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:07 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

About 15 years ago I sent some scissors to a professional sharpener recommended by a local barber. The gal uses them on me when I get shaggy; I use them on her (nothing fancy - she dunks her head in the tub, I comb it straight back and cut it straight & level across the back). She adjusts what I've done to suit herself. So pretty close to zero bucks for us both. She also colors her own hair and does a much better job than many of the pro coloring jobs I've seen done to different women.
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:10 PM   #17

Quote:
The one that charges $20 gives you a dedicated 1/2 hour.
I'd be more likely to pay him $20 to get me out of there in 10min or so. What's he do for 1/2 hour? Talk to you?

I'm paying pretty much in line with what I see here. It's about $12 and I give a $5 tip, so $17.
Jerry1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 08:12 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I was doing my own for awhile, but even for an easy cut like mine, #4 all over, it's not that easy to do. Between making sure I don't miss a spot, getting around the ears, getting the back even, and cleaning up, it's just not worth it. Plus I just like the feeling of having my hair cut, whether it's with scissors or electric.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:14 PM   #19

$28 dollars + $7 tip. Haircut takes an hour. I get a haircut about every 2 months.
Old 06-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow you guys are cheap (or LBYM). Here in Mn the toll is $37 + tip and I am losing my hair. Go every 5 wks
Idnar7 is offline   Reply With Quote