Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-11-2009, 04:01 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A big fat 20.
Some of the questions were redundant with simple phrasing changes. It was interesting to see how varying degrees of a certain trait were queried.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2009, 04:17 PM   #22
Give me a forum ...

What is this, 1950? We have to write down our answers and compare them against a key and add up the results?? Let me go get my slide rule so I can calculate my score.
Old 04-11-2009, 04:43 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

17. My guess is that most ex-military are at the high end, but not from narcissism, more from wanting to taking the reins and getting the job done.
FinallyRetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 04:58 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

OK, I am a 26! But then my husband calls me "the Til of his Hun".
blessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 05:38 PM   #25
Administrator

I scored 18, and like others wonder what I would have scored 30 years ago.

At 16 I tried to win a scholarship in the RAF as a junior officer and went through 3 days of testing. The feedback I received was that I passed all the technical and aptitude tests, but was too shy a person to be become a leader. Well, I proved to myself 35 years on that nice guys CAN become good leaders - we just do it in non confrontational ways.
Old 04-11-2009, 07:48 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
What is this, 1950? We have to write down our answers and compare them against a key and add up the results?? Let me go get my slide rule so I can calculate my score.
Yes...the test required some work so I didn't take it....
Old 04-11-2009, 08:25 PM   #27

I'm taking a wild guess here that those who score very highly on this test would have a difficult time working for a megacorp--unless they were in charge of their own destiny (i.e., Lee Iacocca who with an engineering degree chose to go the sales route).
Old 04-11-2009, 08:40 PM   #28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
I'm taking a wild guess here that those who score very highly on this test would have a difficult time working for a megacorp--unless they were in charge of their own destiny (i.e., Lee Iacocca who with an engineering degree chose to go the sales route).
Speaking personally, yes, I agree. After several career moves, in 1989 I ended up on a large site (800+ workers, >$1B in sales) with a lot of autonomy and small company mentality and for over 10 years I had a huge amount of success and personal satisfaction, but in 1999 we were bought by another Megacorp that introduced increasingly restrictive control to the point that these last few years have me suffocating and I can't wait to get out.
Old 04-11-2009, 08:46 PM   #29
Gone but not forgotten

My result was 3 !
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 09:42 PM   #30

If they cant bother to set up automatic scoring for me. Then to hell with those peons.
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 11:09 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

I got 6...
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 06:12 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

another 7, prefer to stay under the radar -
F-One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:37 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post
You think correctly. The people who got bought out at my mega corp did nothing but complain for the first year after the acquisition. Those who came over but had worked for other mega corps before had a slightly easier time adjusting. The rest behaved about as well as wild dogs that are forced to wear a tutu.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Not necessarily. Perhaps those who scored higher would be more inclined to find the "corporate ladder" more difficult to tolerate and would be more likely to ER. After all, this provides more power over your life and what you do with it.
Yep. That's why I'm drawn to smaller organizations because even though the perks (ha) aren't as good, I get a sense of enterprise control that I just don't get when I have to fill out 5 forms to spend $4000 on some low-end computer equipment.
BunsGettingFirm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 07:49 AM   #34

Those who score in the lower end of the scale would have what type of personality then? Maybe more community-oriented? Fit better into a culture? Plays well with others? What?
Old 04-12-2009, 08:03 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
I suspect a lot of the high scores are some of the "climb the corporate ladder types" who are drawn to power and leadership. If so, it would make sense that we, as folks trying to step off that ladder completely, would score lower.
My score 14.

Never had any interest in the corporate world. More of a vagabond who got paid to have adventures.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #36

For those who think narcissism is all bad, here is a link to what is "healthy" narcissism (vs. narcissistic personality disorder or worse):

Narcissism (psychology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

OR read this simple explanation:
Dr. Young then explains the difference between healthy and unhealthy narcissism. Healthy narcissism is having a sense of your basic rights -- for example, not allowing someone to cut in front of you in line, or even feeling proud of your accomplishments and not hiding them. Unhealthy narcissism is becoming obsessed with having people think you are special, and not just having a sense of your own rights, but not caring at all about the rights of others.
Old 04-12-2009, 10:10 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Interesting. When younger i had a very high opinion of myself, but with no accomplishments to justify that opinion. The older i get, the larger i realize the world is and the smaller my accomplishments seem. Still, i've measured myself against others...
12: 5 in authority, 5 in self sufficiency, and 2 in superiority.

At the end of my days i would be well pleased if there was a bit of a Babe reprise:

"And though every single human in the stands or in the commentary boxes was at a complete loss for words, the man who in his life had uttered fewer words than any of them knew exactly what to say.
Farmer Hoggett: That'll do, pig. That'll do".
calmloki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 02:02 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

I scored so high - I ain't gonna tell nobody.

It's a good thing I retired back in 1993(actually I was layed off) as a 'mild mannered en ga neer' on the Space Program.

I spent a good deal of time in ER trying not to take myself so seriously.

heh heh heh - hmmm the test seems to indicate it hasn't worked. At least I don't do w^*k anymore.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #39

Quote:
Since the website wouldn't calculate my score, I couldn't be bothered to take the test. My time is far too valuable and I'm much too important to waste my time validating their questionable questionaire.
Old 04-12-2009, 04:08 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Location: South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering Creek
Quote:
Would you like to borrow my pencil Al. The calculations are really quite simple.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote