Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #41
Full time employment: Posting here.

When the owner is the server
erkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2019, 12:19 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Actually, not tipping is unethical. You do realize that the tipped minimum wage is $2.13 an hour, and has not been increased for inflation since 1991, right?
Federal yes. State, not quite.

In my state tipped people get the full state minimum wage plus tips. I think that is something like $12 an hour plus tips.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 12:36 PM   #43
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
You don’t have to tip anyone. But let’s see, tipping 10% on a $3.00 muffin would be 30 cents. And 20% on a $5.00 coffee is a dollar. That’s going to break you? For someone probably making minimum wage or a little more, it’s not a practical matter IMO. Most of us here have been relatively fortunate, why not just give a dollar or two as long as whatever service provided is satisfactory? First world problems...
Just to play devil's advocate, why not tip your cashier at the grocery store, clothing store, etc. if the service is satisfactory? Or at a fast food restaurant? They usually make roughly the same wages and put in as much work into your order as someone pouring a coffee or putting a muffin in a bag, in fact, often times more. When did it become common to tip for such a trivial task for people guaranteed to be making minimum wage at a minimum, rather than the server wages, which are often far below minimum wage?

For the record, I generally tip at these types of restaurants/coffee houses if there is a tip jar. However, I do find it silly that the tip jars exist. Truth be told, I do it because I'd feel like a cheapskate if I didn't, not because I think they deserve the tip for the work they've performed.

I post this as something to think about. Why we tip cleaning staff at a hotel, but wouldn't even consider tipping the janitor at work or the guy cleaning the floors at a restaurant we frequent. Why we tip baristas, but not cashiers. And the list goes on. I'm not advocating against tipping these people, just food for thought.
dirtbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I recently ate at an airport restaurant at HNL on my way to Japan. The restaurant had many Japanese clients (who don't tip in Japan). Our server was inattentive, borderline-rude, and did not bring us a check (we had to ask another server). I wrote down on the ticket that her attitude was too poor to deserve a tip. I routinely give 15% for average (Hawaii) service, which isn't all that great, typically, or 20% for great service (which we rarely encounter here). If the service is ok, but barely acceptable, I give 10%.

In Japan, and in New Zealand, there is no tipping!
Old 10-15-2019, 01:48 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

Actually, I did leave a tip, a penny, ....... I wanted to make sure she knew I didn't just forget to leave one.
++
Only happened to me once or twice where service was abysmal, and each time I left a penny so the server would not think I forgot to tip appropriately.
Old 10-15-2019, 01:55 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cosmic Avenger View Post
Actually, not tipping is unethical. You do realize that the tipped minimum wage is $2.13 an hour, and has not been increased for inflation since 1991, right? Whether you think it's a good idea or not, that is how it works now. If you don't like it, work to change the minimum wage laws (I am, even though I tip well, because I think the uncertainty and disparity in tips based on race and gender are harmful). But if you don't want to tip (and you don't live in an area that has eliminated the tipped minimum wage), then you shouldn't go to restaurants. The wait staff is depending on your tips to make the Federal minimum wage.
They get the the base wage + tips, or the employer has to increase payment to make up for a lack of tips.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage

"The tipped wage is base wage paid to an employee that receives a substantial portion of their compensation from tips. According to a common labor law provision referred to as a "tip credit", the employee must earn at least the state’s minimum wage when tips and wages are combined or the employer is required to increase the wage to fulfill that threshold. This ensures that all tipped employees earn at least the minimum wage: significantly more than the tipped minimum wage."
Old 10-15-2019, 02:09 PM   #47

Count me in the always tip group. Over the years I have even dropped a twenty on a group of 8 to leave after being forgotten after water and trying to place a drink order. It was bad enough to move my guests but I didn't want somebody chasing me down.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:16 PM   #48

Like most I normally tip generously but one time ~30 years ago I did leave a one cent tip. We were out with some friends so I was much more patient than usual. The waitress ignored us for 20 minutes, I had to hunt her down to get drinks, and after we'd been there an hour she still hadn't taken the meal order. The place was not that busy.

Finally we all agreed to leave and again I had to hunt down the waitress to get the bill. So I paid that plus the one cent just to make sure she knew the tip wasn't forgotten. And of course we've never been back.
Old 10-15-2019, 02:20 PM   #49
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
How often do you guys stiff a server?
Every time they don't deserve anything.

It's rare that we experience service that bad, but when it happens, I won't hesitate. I've also been know to complain to management as well.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 02:28 PM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I just don't see why I have to make up for the poor wages the employer is paying. I have no problem if the employer decides to give everybody a healthy raise and charge me $4 for a muffin rather than $3.50.

What gets me is that I am made to feel guilty because I don't pay the cashier enough for handing me a muffin. His pay is not my responsibility. Period. For all I know the guy routinely come in late causing all sorts of problems for the owners and other workers. Or he may go out of his way to train new people and help old folks find a comfortable seat. Who knows? His boss knows. I don't.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:33 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
They get the the base wage + tips, or the employer has to increase payment to make up for a lack of tips.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage

"The tipped wage is base wage paid to an employee that receives a substantial portion of their compensation from tips. According to a common labor law provision referred to as a "tip credit", the employee must earn at least the state’s minimum wage when tips and wages are combined or the employer is required to increase the wage to fulfill that threshold. This ensures that all tipped employees earn at least the minimum wage: significantly more than the tipped minimum wage."

Yes, that was the law when I waited tables back in the early 90s. However, just because it was the law did not mean it was practiced. People who didn't claim enough tips and had to be paid more by the employer suddenly weren't scheduled for any shifts, or worse, were scheduled for the shifts when the restaurant was dead and there were no tips, and they still wouldn't pay you the difference.
Old 10-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #52

This is an area where the DW and I disagree.

We have both worked in restaurants (I bussed tables and washed dishes; she waited tables) and know how hard those folks w*rk. But, I still say tipping is discretionary and is for good service; she says you have to tip no matter what.

When we've had bad service, I know she will still insist on leaving something and so we end up negotiating on how much it should be reduced to reflect the poor service (I think the least she's ever tipped is 10% when the service was truly abysmal).
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:13 PM   #53
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbiker View Post
Just to play devil's advocate, why not tip your cashier at the grocery store, clothing store, etc. if the service is satisfactory? Or at a fast food restaurant? They usually make roughly the same wages and put in as much work into your order as someone pouring a coffee or putting a muffin in a bag, in fact, often times more. When did it become common to tip for such a trivial task for people guaranteed to be making minimum wage at a minimum, rather than the server wages, which are often far below minimum wage?

For the record, I generally tip at these types of restaurants/coffee houses if there is a tip jar. However, I do find it silly that the tip jars exist. Truth be told, I do it because I'd feel like a cheapskate if I didn't, not because I think they deserve the tip for the work they've performed.

I post this as something to think about. Why we tip cleaning staff at a hotel, but wouldn't even consider tipping the janitor at work or the guy cleaning the floors at a restaurant we frequent. Why we tip baristas, but not cashiers. And the list goes on. I'm not advocating against tipping these people, just food for thought.
We can’t tip everyone. But not all jobs are structured to rely on tips like restaurants, travel and personal care - those traditions are generations old. And we tip all sorts of people that others may not, but I don’t see any reason to brag about the details. We do it to show appreciation to the recipients, not for ourselves or what others think about it.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 06:20 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

Actually, I did leave a tip, a penny, in the mustard. I wanted to make sure she knew I didn't just forget to leave one.

I did something similar (pre DW).

My waitress was both slow and surly. They did not have bus boys and so I knew she'd be clearing the table.

I had an ice cream sundae for dessert. I put a dime on the table and put the ice cream dish upside down on top of the dime. That way she'd find the dime when she was cleaning up the mess. It was a petty thing to do, but she'd earned it.
CoolRich59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 07:07 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

I used to own a restaurant with my family, so I certainly understand how important tips are. So, my policy is simple: if the service is so bad that I'm not going to leave a tip, I get another wait person to call the manager, so he/she KNOWS what the problem is. Learned that from being in the business, & I can't recall a single time where the manager was angry for being informed.
catii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 08:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by catii View Post
I used to own a restaurant with my family, so I certainly understand how important tips are. So, my policy is simple: if the service is so bad that I'm not going to leave a tip, I get another wait person to call the manager, so he/she KNOWS what the problem is. Learned that from being in the business, & I can't recall a single time where the manager was angry for being informed.
That reminded me of an incident years ago. We went into a restaurant, placed our order and ordered a bottle of wine. It took the waitstaff 3 tries to get the right one. We got our salads from the salad bar, and waited for our main course. And waited... Finally the waitress comes over and asked how our dinner was. I said, "I do not know, we never got it. Please send the manager over".
I told the manager what happened, and he wanted to comp the bill. I told him we drank the wine, so we will pay for it.
As a side note, tipping is a "hot button" issue on cruise boards. In the days before cruise lines added the service charge to your account, dinner the last night on board was a ghost town because of all the people stiffing the waitstaff.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 09:18 PM   #57

In US, I tip 15%. But looks like the norm is 18% or 20% now? Some restaurants print the bill with a suggested tip table for 18%/20%/22%. There is not even a 15% choice.

In Asia, there is no tipping. But some restaurants have learned to add a service charge (anywhere between 10% to 18%) automatically in the bill.
fh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:13 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
In Asia, there is no tipping. But some restaurants have learned to add a service charge (anywhere between 10% to 18%) automatically in the bill.

I returned from Peru 3 months ago. I noticed the hotel restaurant added a 10% service charge to the bill automatically. So my girlfriend and I simply paid the bill. I noticed the waiter who picked up the check and payment glanced at it and appeared a little sad.

The next night, 4 of us went out to a restaurant in Lima. I had since learned from the tour guide that although the 10% service charge used to go to the wait staff, now it is taken by the management and distributed in some way, but with very little actually going to the wait staff. The tour guide asked that we leave 10% extra so that the wait staff receive a tip. So I mentioned it to my 4 dinner companions that evening after we ordered. Later, after our waiter picked up our 4 separate checks and payments, he suddenly returned bursting with happiness. He was soooo happy! Gushing. Handing out business cards. Asking us all to leave a positive review on social media. All over a 10% tip from each of us.

My girlfriend and I returned to our hotel and thought about our hotel waiter the evening before and how disappointed he appeared. My friend looked up the receipt and noted the waiter’s name on it. We returned to the hotel restaurant and standing at the bar requested the waiter by name. He came out, recognized us, and appeared puzzled. Both my friend and I handed him a 10% tip and said we just wanted to thank him. He look momentarily astonished, then nodded quietly said thank you. Other employees came over to him asking what happened as we quickly left. It felt good to right a wrong.

I can’t recall ever stiffing a waitstaff for slow service. I would not tip for rude service.
swakyaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 11:49 PM   #59
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by catii View Post
The recent time a few years ago I left the famous 1 cent tip, I also told the manager when he asked me how was dinner. He surprised me by comping 1 of the 2 meals.
We still never went back.

Sadly even knowing which staff person was bad at the job didn't save the restaurant, and it closed down, a year later the lot was bulldozed and is now for sale as land.
Old 10-15-2019, 11:50 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolRich59 View Post

I did something similar (pre DW).

My waitress was both slow and surly. They did not have bus boys and so I knew she'd be clearing the table.

I had an ice cream sundae for dessert. I put a dime on the table and put the ice cream dish upside down on top of the dime. That way she'd find the dime when she was cleaning up the mess. It was a petty thing to do, but she'd earned it.
There is also the coin under the upside down glass of water trick if you ever wanted to be cruel.