Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-12-2010, 05:49 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
( like: ERD50 is being ignored by 311,364 members)

But yeah, I think what we mean is unexplainable... apparently.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2010, 05:52 PM   #62
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonBoyd View Post

But yeah, I think what we mean is unexplainable... apparently.
...double secret probation?
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:38 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 2 people on ignore.

I'd like to put some of the mods on ignore. I'm serious.
We should be able to do this.

Nothing personal, just don't need to see some of the posts I see.

If they need to say anything to me, they could make a sticky post or send PM/email.

It's the thing I hate most about this forum.
ikonomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 06:41 PM   #64
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikonomore View Post
Just curious - what are the other things about the forum you hate?
Old 07-12-2010, 06:44 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

If they need to say anything to me, they could make a sticky post or send PM/email.

You don't need an ignore feature to ignore people or posts you don't like.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:17 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I have seen this subject coming up time and time again, and I am relatively new here.

I still do not have anyone on "ignore", and probably never will if I have survived up to this point. It's not that I do not find some posts obnoxious or at least annoying, but I always like to give people a second chance, or a 3rd or 4th or 5th chance :-)

I usually try to get a chuckle out of some outrageous posts, and definitely do not want to take personally anything people say, unless it is directed at me specifically and I don't think this has happened. I do go through every one's post when reading a thread, and the ones that I found offensive in the past, I just glimpse over and do not take seriously.

Life is too short to get upset over someone else's opinions, particularly on an Internet forum. I have even learned to ignore my own brother when he is ranting over some political silly things. Yes, I can ignore him conditionally at the dinning table when I need to, but we still invite each other to family functions. And I can still talk to him about non-political issues.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Just curious - what are the other things about the forum you hate?
Wow, I hope it's me!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:26 PM   #68
Administrator

Quote:

See? Now this is the reason folks get pushed out of shape by the ignore feature... mods are people too

IMO the ignore feature is best used and then not mentioned in polite company; akin to personal hygiene products or various medications. Use them as you feel you need to but please don't tell the rest of us about it.

It does seem only fair that since mods can't ignore anyone, that they cannot be ignored. An odd bit of ether-equity.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:56 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have never put anyone on ignore. I enjoy reading most people's opinions on various subjects. If anyone puts me on ignore, please don't tell me, because I know that my feelings will be hurt. I will also say that I would be truly sorry for anything that I said that would upset anyone else.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

I use the ignore feature mostly for those posters which are borderline spam.
Old 07-12-2010, 09:21 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

I am POSITIVE I am on a few forum member's ignore list.........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:48 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

I imagine I'm on a few ignore lists as well. Of course this doesn't bother me much as I don't have anything important to say...more than likely this fact will remain the same. They ain't missin' much!
Old 07-12-2010, 09:51 PM   #73
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I have never put anyone on ignore. I enjoy reading most people's opinions on various subjects. If anyone puts me on ignore, please don't tell me, because I know that my feelings will be hurt. I will also say that I would be truly sorry for anything that I said that would upset anyone else.
Words like these come from the heart of a good and decent person. Hurt feelings is something I hope you never experience.
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I guess I should clarify my earlier post. I said my ignore list consist mainly of doom and gloom posters, but it's not just that. It's the manner in which they deliver their opinion. I don't mind negative opinions. Heck, a lot of your post are not always cheery with respect to economics or the markets. But I enjoy listening to your POV. I just can't tolerate these 'I told you so' posters.
Dawg, I do know what you mean about this, and also about some of my economics posts not being exactly cheery.

Ha
Old 07-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #75
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude View Post
I am POSITIVE I am on a few forum member's ignore list.........
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
I imagine I'm on a few ignore lists as well. Of course this doesn't bother me much as I don't have anything important to say...more than likely this fact will remain the same. They ain't missin' much!
I prefer to look at it this way- You aren't on the ignore lists of those who care about you- Once someone puts you on ignore, they cease to matter, anyway- it's a two way street.
Old 07-12-2010, 11:55 PM   #76
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I haven't put any forum members on the ignore list, but I have ignored a few threads here and there. Threads sometimes pop back up after being quiet for weeks or months. I'd never remember it for that long, so onto the list it goes.
kyounge1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 12:02 AM   #77
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
IMO the ignore feature is best used and then not mentioned in polite company; akin to personal hygiene products or various medications. Use them as you feel you need to but please don't tell the rest of us about it.
+1, unfortunately some view it as a source of power and feel the need to let folks know that they can use it...like kryptonite or spinach.
Old 07-13-2010, 05:36 AM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westernskies View Post
+1, unfortunately some view it as a source of power and feel the need to let folks know that they can use it...like kryptonite or spinach.
Hmmmm.......well maybe you guys should just lock the thread if you don't want us to honestly answer the question to the thread.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:11 AM   #79
Full time employment: Posting here.

I do not have anyone on ignore and probably will not. I have an effective built in noise and BS filter for both written and verbal communication.
My reasons for visiting this forum are
1. Entertainment
2. To gather information
3. On occasion to provide some helpful advice or tidbit of information based on my individual knowledge and experience. What people think or do with it is their own business.
Old 07-13-2010, 06:20 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Well, I bow to the supposed moral superiority of those celestial beings who would never consider using the ignore feature, but I am required to deal with enough @ssholes in the workplace, so I see no reason to deal with them here (where I actually have a choice). Plus then I don't have to find space for all that moral superiority or learn to do the "Church Lady" dance.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote