Join Early Retirement Today

Old 11-12-2021, 04:33 PM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._Graybeard View Post
What brand/model did you buy?
Weil-McLain, selected by the contractor since I know nothing, and they were able to get this one sooner than the Burnham it replaced. Thank you supply chain.
cranberryjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2021, 05:42 PM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Anyone get their hands on a Tesla HVAC !?!
FIREarly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 08:00 PM   #63
Recycles dryer sheets

Replaced the oil fired boiler in June, old Weil McLain was about 35 yrs old. Put in a Peerless with a Arielle burner. Also supplement with the Vermont Castings insert in the fireplace.
rick55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 07:54 AM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

The last time I had a furnace was a kerosene burner until it finally gave up the ghost in 1985. It was probably original to the house in 1955. I wanted air conditioning as well as heat so I bought a heat pump. Unfortunately those don't last more than 12-15 yrs in Florida next to the ocean.

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2021, 09:27 AM   #65

Original system in this house was gas, forced air from about 1963, about 65% efficiency. Fan motor replaced twice. Replaced in 1996 with A/C added to the system with an 80% efficient unit. Replaced again in 2019 when combustion fan intermittently squeal (a shot of lube was a temporary fix) but the control board failed. Estimates to fix both problems would cost about $800. Replaced the furnace with a 95% efficient unit (Bryant) at a installed cos of $3000.

It really pays to obtain multiple quotes as the mark-up on these items can be high. As the cost of natural gas in my area was quite low, at first I did not seek a high efficiency unit, but one contractor bid a HE unit for the same price that another contractor bid a standard 80% unit installed, and the installation work on the HE unit was much more work ( running PVC piping). Extremely satisfied. Took about two months to get bids and installation and had to live with recirculating fan hot wired at 100% duty during the time. It was Feb to March but we had heat, just noisy. Still have the 25 year old A/C that worked flawlessly this summer (but in our area, some summers it is only used intermittently but this last summer used two solid months.).
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 10:17 AM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Our furnace was installed (well, first used) in 1970 (Nov). That's 51 years! The only mechanical work that has ever been done was replacing the thermocouple a year ago. Of course, the filter has been replaced on a regular schedule without fail.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:12 AM   #67

Our gas furnace is from 2001, and replaced the blower last year...
not bad for a camper....
Old 11-23-2021, 08:35 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

I said this up thread, but one thing we learned when we replaced our old furnace with a new one was it was way more efficient and quiet. We wished we would have done it sooner to enjoy the benefits of it before we sold. Had we stayed in the house, it would have paid for itself just in energy costs.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2021, 08:29 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by COcheesehead View Post
I said this up thread, but one thing we learned when we replaced our old furnace with a new one was it was way more efficient and quiet. We wished we would have done it sooner to enjoy the benefits of it before we sold. Had we stayed in the house, it would have paid for itself just in energy costs.

I know most of the reasons why newer units are more efficient, but what makes them quieter? We replaced a 12 yr old R12 heat pump and the new condenser motor and compressor are very quiet but I believe you went from no AC to AC.
Old 11-23-2021, 09:14 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz4cash View Post
I know most of the reasons why newer units are more efficient, but what makes them quieter? We replaced a 12 yr old R12 heat pump and the new condenser motor and compressor are very quiet but I believe you went from no AC to AC.
No clue. It went from a low rumble to a whisper.
COcheesehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2021, 05:00 AM   #71

30+ years on home furnace, over 22+ years on 2 rental furnaces.

The home furnace had the heat exchanger replaced after 5 years due to manufacturer's recall.
Old 11-24-2021, 12:36 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Almost 40 years ago, DW and I remodeled the old family "homestead" on the mainland. We replaced a steam-heat boiler (radiators that clanged all night) with a super-high efficiency gas unit that sat outside (like an AC - in fact it included AC.) Over these past 40 years, we have averaged about 12 years between replacements. For whatever reasons, these units do not last. I think there is more complication in the heat transfer process (glycol solution pumped inside to a blower, etc. etc.) They ARE efficient (90+%) but do not last, even though we rarely are there in winter, so they work against a 55 degree inside temperature. Heh, heh, the old steam furnace was what I grew up with in the house and it lasted for more than 30 years. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote