Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-10-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Dell Vostro 1500, paid $450 or so, almost 3 yrs old, no issues

Before that had a Dell Inspiron for 4 yrs
Lakedog is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2011, 04:57 PM   #22

Bought my Toshiba Satellite in July, 2007. The AC adapter went bad a few months ago and paid about $27 for a new one. Still going strong.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:04 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

'bout 7 yrs old Dell 600 something or other.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM   #24
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Also have ASUS EEE, at least a year old, have traveled with it, no problems.
Old 02-10-2011, 05:55 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

HP laptop purchased in August 08, no problems yet.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #26

Compaq Presario, about 4 years old. It's getting slow so I plan to buy another laptop computer this year.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:24 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Cheap Acer (2006) Lasted 2 weeks (Lightening - got everything in the house with transistors) Got another. Just replaced the HD for about 80 bucks. Saved/ghosted all the data OK. Whew.
waltwill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:29 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I purchased a Dell Insperion 17" almost 3 years ago. Have already had to replace the battery for over $100. It has been acting bad lately. Don't really want to have to buy another one. Paid over $1,300, so expected to get a little longevity on it. Is three years all we can expect from one of these now a days? Just curious what make you guys have and how old they are.
I have a Dell Inspiron 8600, 15.6" that I bought maybe 2003-2004 that I am still using. Paid $1200 at that time. The prices now are low that I am tempted to replace it. But what for? The laptop is still good and perfectly serves my purpose. I bought a spare battery from EBay for less than $20 that I rotate with the original battery.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 06:37 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I purchased a Dell Insperion 17" almost 3 years ago. Have already had to replace the battery for over $100. It has been acting bad lately. Don't really want to have to buy another one. Paid over $1,300, so expected to get a little longevity on it. Is three years all we can expect from one of these now a days? Just curious what make you guys have and how old they are.

Dell Inspiron - 7 years
HP widescreen - 3 years
Toshiba Netbook - 1 year
Honda Accord - 10 years
Mid life crisis car - one year
DW - 36 years
MDJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:31 PM   #30

I use a desktop that my son built for himself a few years ago but DH has a Lenovo laptop that is at least 4 or 5 years old. He upgraded to Windows 7 and is just fine with what he has. Lately he's been shopping online for a new battery as his does not last long and keeps giving him messages that it's low. He has to be plugged in all the time now.

Prices have come down so much that I would not mind if he got a new laptop. He uses it much more since he retired.
Old 02-10-2011, 09:11 PM   #31
Dryer sheet wannabe

7 year old R51 IBM ThinkPad. Bought it used about 5 years ago. Works great!
madcityacct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:15 PM   #32

Gateway NV series. Use it nearly every day, all day. Had it a 14 months and it's going strong. Cost about $500. I run the virus protection and mal/adware scans now and then. For the price, if I get another couple years out of it, I'd be happy. If I had to upgrade the OS, replace the battery or the like, I'd likely just buy a new one and donate this one for he tax write off.

I do like my son's 17 inch. Has a bigger screen and hard drive and much better speakers. Only cost about $150 more. Honestly, these things are so cheap anymore, that they are approaching disposable territory, especially considering the cost of repairs and upgrades. Even if the hardware lasts a while, the operating system, software and such eventually become obsolete. Not to mention all the crap that inevitably builds up in your registry and slows down the system unless you keep up on it.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Dell Studio, 1 1/2 years old. I should have bought a Mac., this things is melting my privates.
Well - I changed to a new model Mac 'cause my older mac laptop was melting my privates! Some of the older Apple powerbooks were real burners!

We actually measured how hot it got on my lap one time. 118 degrees F!! I take some meats off the grill at 125 degrees F!

I'm sure it was because I had web several pages up running Adobe Flash which is a serious CPU power-hog for no good reason.

My newer model Mac laptop doesn't get nearly as hot.

Audrey
Old 02-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Compaq Presario turning five years old in May. Dell Inspiron Mini netbook just one year old. When Presario goes (or before), I'm replacing it with a desktop with lots of memory.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:33 AM   #35

I got a new MacBook Pro last year. DW has a Sony Viao that is nearly 4 years old. It crashed and died a couple years ago, while still under extended warranty, so it was fixed without cost. DW has no clue about PCs and I have only a little more of a clue about them than she does. So, we need laptops that work without too much trouble. DW's is getting to the point that I just don't feel like fiddling with it after traveling all week. I will probably get a MacBook Air sometime this year for ease of use in traveling, and will cede the MacBook Pro to DW. We probably won't go back to Windows anytime soon...fed up with having to spend time fiddling with it to get it to run rathe than actually using it. Also, we both have iPads that we use for most web browsing and email, and for shorter trips.

R
Old 02-11-2011, 07:02 AM   #36
Administrator

I have an ThinkPad purchased in 2003. Hard disk fried in '05, otherwise no problems. Previous laptop was '99. Before that I had a new laptop each year - but that was work related.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:23 AM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Fujitsu P1610 here. 4 years old. I don't know why but I love this tiny computer with its 8.9" screen and cramped keyboard. I can take it anywhere. I hook it to a big monitor when I need the extra real estate. It needed a new battery at 3 years.

We take this one when we travel. We check email and dump pictures on it from the camera. DW uses a more normal laptop, HP in a docking station, at home. That one is 2-1/2 years old.

I want to keep this one through the summer and buy a high-end ultraportable in the fall.
flotsamandjetsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchidflower View Post

And, for gosh sakes, buy a cooler for under the laptop like I did or you'll ruin your chances of becoming a father if you want to.

I thought you were supposed to warm them up if you wanted to be a father....
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:07 AM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I thought you were supposed to warm them up if you wanted to be a father....

Hot testicles may lower sperm count
Old 02-11-2011, 08:13 AM   #40

My Toshiba Satellite A205-S4577 is about 4 yrs old, I believe. Somewhere in that range, anyway. I bought it new, for $1000. It came with Windows Vista, which I dumped within the first 6 months & replaced with Win XP that I got cheap from a friend. The only problems I've had with it have been a couple of viruses. I did have to get it reformatted once about a year ago, & it's been running fine since. I've got a lot of stuff on it now, and don't have much hard drive space left. It still does ok, but has slowed down a little. I need to do some serious clean-up & file size reduction, just need to find the time. The battery is down to only about an hour of performance, but rather than spend the $100 plus for a new one, I just keep the power cord handy. About a year after I bought this computer, I happened across a Consumer Reports article on laptop ratings & it turned out they had rated mine as number one in it's category. This is my first laptop, and my first Toshiba, but I like it enough that I'll look at Toshiba again when it's time for a new one. My destops have been 1 Gateway & 2 Dells. At work I have 3 Dells (2 owned by the US Govt. & 1 owned by the defense contractor where I work).

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote