Join Early Retirement Today

How old is your laptop?
Old 02-10-2011, 02:44 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How old is your laptop?

I purchased a Dell Insperion 17" almost 3 years ago. Have already had to replace the battery for over $100. It has been acting bad lately. Don't really want to have to buy another one. Paid over $1,300, so expected to get a little longevity on it. Is three years all we can expect from one of these now a days? Just curious what make you guys have and how old they are.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Toshiba Tecra 2003. Had a 3 year warranty. At 2 years 11 months, the hard drive crashed and they installed a newer, faster biger hard drive for free. Still going strong.

Computer: 8 years
Car: 16 years
House: 87 years
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post
I purchased a Dell Insperion 17" almost 3 years ago. Have already had to replace the battery for over $100. It has been acting bad lately. Don't really want to have to buy another one. Paid over $1,300, so expected to get a little longevity on it. Is three years all we can expect from one of these now a days? Just curious what make you guys have and how old they are.
Have a Compaq Presario, a cheepo bought for $375 almost 4 years ago. Original 2 hour battery still works over an hour before conking out. I only use the computer for internet, thus not needing an expensive one. Hoping it breaks down so I can justify buying an Ipad, but it doesnt appear willing to retire any time soon.
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:55 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Dell Studio, 1 1/2 years old. I should have bought a Mac., this things is melting my privates.
73ss454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post
Dell Studio, 1 1/2 years old. I should have bought a Mac., this things is melting my privates.
My old back-up laptop is a Dell. +1 on the melting!!!
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 02:59 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Have a (~) three-year-old Dell, no issues. Son still uses my old Compaq, seven years old or more.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

2004 PowerBook G4 12" - Battery was replaced under a recall in 2007. No other work done on it. It just keeps on running.

2004 iBook - Originally DD's, and 'inherited' when she got a MacBook three years ago. Replaced the keyboard ($40, 5 minutes to swap) in 2008, and still going strong.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:13 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Are we supposed to only say what we use Or just anything in the house...

I have an OLD IBM something or other that has a 10 inch screen... it runs on Win 95.. had a whole 256K of memory... it was the in thing back then... very small compared to what you could get... I think mega paid about $3500 to $4500 for it... I pulled it out and used it a couple of years ago when my desktop blew up... I have not tried the battery in over 10 years...

My wife has a nice Sony we got about 2 1/2 years ago... going strong..

My son has a Compaq that is 3 1/2 years... going stong...

We bought a netbook about 1 1/2 years ago... still going...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:15 PM   #9

Dell Inspiron 1200 ... left mega corp with it so it's 7 or 8 yo. Battery? What battery ... it's always plugged in somwhere. Dropped it a couple years ago and the bulb that luminates the screen popped. So I use an old monitor (much better than the laptop screen).
Old 02-10-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

In the past, I have used mostly Toshiba laptops, with an occasional Sony or HP tossed in for good measure. Usually after 3 years I start WANTING a new laptop, to get the new OS (I am a sucker for new operating systems). Sometimes a laptop will crater after 3-4 years. I think I have always gotten at least 3 years out of all my laptops, sometimes 4-5 years.

My present Dell Inspiron is two months old. My last laptop was a very cheap Toshiba. It was 3-4 years old and still had a lot of good life in it, so I found it a good home and bought my lovely new expensive but nicely tricked out Dell Inspiron. Always wanted a laptop like this one, and it has Windows 7.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:46 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

What does "acting bad" mean? Being slow could mean you have some extra programs running that you don't need, or a virus. If it's slow on web pages the problem could be your internet connection. If it's crashing it could be a bad hard drive.

I bought a new laptop this year because the battery on my old laptop went and I didn't want to spend $100 on a new one, and the 3rd party one I bought didn't work well with it--don't remember the details. So I just keep that one plugged in and use it like a desk top, but didn't want to rely on it so I got the new one. The old one was an Inspiron as well, maybe 3-4 years old at the time, now 4-5 or so?

I spent less on the new one (Gateway NV79), since it's enough for what I use it for (no gaming or other heavy duty graphics or processing) and I won't feel bad if I replace it in 3 years or so.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 03:56 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by modhatter View Post

I bought my Dell Inspiron 17" in December 2008, and also had to replace the battery about 9 months ago. First time in my computer using that I ever had to replace a battery. Ever.
Also, paid the same amount as above. So, what the heck is going on with these Dell computers now?

I can say that it runs well, tho, and mine isn't acting up at all in any way...at least, right now it isn't. It was crashing repeatedly until I found out that if you hold a computer on your lap use a cooler under it. Now I use the laptop across the garbage can while I sit and type in a Laz-Y-Boy...it works..haha! (I do have a nice, big desk to use but it's filled with papers right now.)
Old 02-10-2011, 04:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73ss454 View Post

And, for gosh sakes, buy a cooler for under the laptop like I did or you'll ruin your chances of becoming a father if you want to.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:09 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

My current laptop is maybe a year or two old. A Lenovo. Working fine. It's predecessor also was a Lenovo, a fancier hoity toity one. It had a three year warranty. During that three years it got a new keyboard, new touchpad, and a new fan. Finally, about a month after the warranty expired the motherboard went. Despite the problems I liked the computer as it had an anti-glare screen and the touch for typing was perfect as was the trackpad. I was extremely disappointed of its lack of durability.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:20 PM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have a gateway FX. One of my older sons had two non working laptops. I fixed one of his for him, but the other had a missing hard drive and a shattered screen. He said it cost too much to fix and I could have it if I wanted. I located a used screen and hard drive cheaply and installed an operating system on it I had bought for another purpose. I had never installed a laptop screen before so it was a fun project. So far successful on 2 of 3 laptops attempted to repaid.. #3 went up in smoke though despite my best soldering attempt. ; ) Still looking for a cheap motherboard.
Ready-4-ER-at-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:24 PM   #16

Hey, folks! You have to realize that in the IT world, three years is OLD for any kind of computer, whether a laptop or a desktop. If you're still getting good use out of one after that point, you're WAY ahead of the game.

As for me, my desktop is a 3 year-old iMac, with a 1 yo MacBook, and DW has a 1.5 yo MacBook Pro. We also have a 1 yo Mac Mini that runs the security system. We're probably good for about another year, when the iMac will most likely get replaced with a new one.

Since I bought my first Apple computer in 1980, my first Mac in 1987, used to run the tech support for a Mac software developer, and did some consulting for Apple many years ago, I'm kind of a nerd guru in the Apple area. I can do Windows, Unix, Linux, and a few other operating systems, but I always gravitate toward Apple.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:25 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

My son has a 2004 iBook ($999) still running fine. Battery is still holding over 2/3rds capacity after ~ 5 years (the original battery was part of a recall).

DW's 13" Aluminum MacBook Pro ($1,099) ~ 2 YO - Battery still ~ 97% (I should run it through a 'conditioning' cycle).

DD's 2007 Intel MacBook ($999) running fine - battery replaced under the 3 year warranty at year 3 because it was running below 80% (IIRC) capacity.

My ASUS PC901 netbook ($280) (running Ubuntu linux) ~ 2 years old, used daily by DD battery >85% capacity.

My E-Machines EM725, ($380) (running Ubuntu linux) ~ 1 years old, my main machine >95% capacity, seldom unplugged.

Macs and Linux have a report on battery 'health', I'd suggest checking that under your OS of choice, and also see what the mfg reccs for 'conditioning' the battery - usually a matter of running it completely down for hours, then a full charge for hours.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:40 PM   #18
Gone but not forgotten

Two and a half year old Dell Ispiron basic budget package . Works fine no battery problems . My Toshiba is six years old still works but the screen went and Gary replaced so it's a back up .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 04:48 PM   #19
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Dell Inspiron E1705, at least 4 y o; no problems.
Old 02-10-2011, 04:54 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I have a 1 yr old HP elitebook for work - replaced my Dell Inspiron that blew up a few days after the 3 yr warranty expired. No problems with the HP. Same with my 2 yr old Asus netbook and DW's Macbook - 3 or 4 yrs old. I never have battery problems because we are very seldom unplugged.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote