Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2016, 10:38 AM   #21
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
plus I believe that makes you a target for a potential lawsuit by the business owner?
My post was not intended to discourage Amethyst from posting her review on AL, and I do not believe an honest review, however bad, should have consequences, if one sticks to the facts.

I worked in customer satisfaction back in the day and believe well run businesses want feedback that is honest and factual.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2016, 10:49 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You have another option, which is not to rate at all. Not a bad option if they fulfilled their obligation to the best of their ability but you are not satisfied.
Yes, in eBay this is called a "no feedback" -- where you weren't quite satisfied enough to give an unqualified thumbs-up, but they delivered sufficiently that anything less than a "good" or positive rating when it comes to online feedback -- seen as entirely negative by most people -- isn't deserved, either.

Generally in the eBay world a "no feedback" is considered somewhere in between positive feedback and neutral feedback (and neutral is usually treated as a negative).
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:02 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
My post was not intended to discourage Amethyst from posting her review on AL, and I do not believe an honest review, however bad, should have consequences, if one sticks to the facts.

I worked in customer satisfaction back in the day and believe well run businesses want feedback that is honest and factual.
if it's factual then the lawsuit would have no standing - I'm just a wimp I guess - I don't post negative reviews due to fear of being sued

well run business definitely should get feedback - we do. I provide honest feedback privately, just not publicly.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:18 AM   #24
Administrator

Quote:
if it's factual then the lawsuit would have no standing - I'm just a wimp I guess - I don't post negative reviews due to fear of being sued
Negative or critical feedback is not a basis for a lawsuit. Libel is, but that is when you deliberately write something you know is false. When writing negative reviews it makes sense to stay away from terms like "lying weasel" and "lazy SOB" and stick to things that are descriptive and measurable, (just like Amethyst did in her previous posts).
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

I think the tree service screwed up by sending out too small of a truck to hold all the chips. That is not the OP's fault. When you bid a job, you also imply that you are prepared to come prepared to complete the whole job.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Was there a written contract? If not, there is your lesson on this one. When dealing with contractors...ALWAYS get it in writing.
Old 04-13-2016, 11:55 AM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't post negative reviews due to fear of being sued
Thankfully many people are courageous enough to give negative reviews when they are justified, preventing many others from also having a bad experience.
Old 04-13-2016, 12:01 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I think the tree service screwed up by sending out too small of a truck to hold all the chips. That is not the OP's fault. When you bid a job, you also imply that you are prepared to come prepared to complete the whole job.
That's right, it's their responsibility to come prepared to complete the job they bid on and are being paid to do. If the truck is too small, then they simply take the time to make extra trips instead of leaving part of the job unfinished.

Also, it usually makes more sense to pay a contractor/trade for a job instead of by the hour.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:12 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Thankfully many people are courageous enough to give negative reviews when they are justified, preventing many others from also having a bad experience.
doing nothing is always an option; an option I use frequently according to DW
Old 04-13-2016, 04:06 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
plus I believe that makes you a target for a potential lawsuit by the business owner?
I never do these reviews, unless I have an unqualified positive experience. Likewise, I pay very little attention to other reviewers.

These reviews can be extremely important to a business. Bad ones especially. Enough trouble finds me without me looking for it.

And I would not expect online reviews to be very accurate.

Ha
Old 04-13-2016, 05:01 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

In OP's situation, I would have told them to leave the chips on the property beyond what their truck would hold.

After the fact, I'd probably ask to be comped an hour or two (12.5% or 25% off the bill) since they cut the day short. Maybe a little less since they probably priced a 12 hour day for $3,000. 2 hours travel time each way + 8 hours work time. Presumably their guys get paid at least straight time, possibly time and a half for anything over 8 hours.

If I didn't get anything off the price, I'd probably leave a decent review (4 out of 5 stars) and mention the part about paying for 8 hours but getting 7-ish hours. If they did good work, mention that too since that would be as important to me as a consumer of their services as much as the contractual/pricing part of obtaining services.
Old 04-14-2016, 08:10 AM   #32

I had no intention of posting a review for a recent purchase, but I got an email from the manufacturer saying they would send me a gift if I posted one.

So I posted a "3 stars out of 5" review, wherein I said it was basically a well made product but had one major weakness that I considered significant.

Sure enough, they sent me the gift anyway and encouraged me to post additional reviews on other sites. I found that odd, but maybe they didn't bother to actually read my review.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I wasn't happy, since we had purchased an 8-hour day and there was plenty of work left to do. They said they could continue to trim, but would have to leave all the branches on our lot - something I did not want.
It seems like they were willing to continue the labor - but had a capacity issue with the chipper.

You declined their labor.

That's my take on it.
Old 04-14-2016, 09:59 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
It seems like they were willing to continue the labor - but had a capacity issue with the chipper.

That's my take on it.
Good point... kinda missed that on my first reading....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:03 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That's my take on it.
Yes, there are several factors at play here - hours versus job, chipper capacity limits, expectations, etc. I think the situation is unique enough, and convoluted enough, that a good or bad review based on the hours worked would not help anyone else.

Quote:
. The estimator was very clear that for the price charged, we should try to get all the trimming done we possibly could in 8 hours - there was no limit placed on number of trees and shrubs. The contract mentions the willow tree, which was not very big, and then "Prune and trim all over property."
So you agreed to have them "Prune and trim all over property"? That does not specifically say "and chip and haul away all chippings". So it does seem like you declined the extra trimming that was offered?

Let's just say - it's all pretty fuzzy? And we have not heard the contractor's side.

If for some reason the OP wants to do a review (I'm not sure why? Why not just skip it?), I'd just stick to the quality of the work, and avoid this whole "8 hours" issue.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 04:45 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

That's my take on it.
Around here, the job is cut, chip, and take away. Most successful companies do all of that.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:26 PM   #37
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

Let's just say - it's all pretty fuzzy? And we have not heard the contractor's side.

If for some reason the OP wants to do a review (I'm not sure why? Why not just skip it?), I'd just stick to the quality of the work, and avoid this whole "8 hours" issue.

-ERD50
Yep I agree.
contracting work is fuzzy, it is the nature of the beast.

It isn't like buying 3 pounds of ham and they gave you 2 1/2 pounds which is quantified and easily measured. You are dealing with nature and estimates, things get fuzzy and you should allow for the fuzziness in reviewing the work.

I wouldn't leave a review at all myself personally.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:33 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Another classic thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 04-19-2016, 06:39 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Update: The company gave me a 10% discount ($300) because the team shorted me on time and their own records proved it. There is a timer on the truck that showed they arrived at 0745 and left at 1500. Furthermore, they had not "declared" their lunch break, so apparently, lunch is not supposed to be on the customer's time, as I had assumed it was.

On the other hand, the time they spent repairing the rut THEY made was still part of the customer's time.

I also learned that the crew chief had lied, or at least dissembled, about not being able to come back later to pick up the branches they could not chip. Oh, that's not true! They could have come back the next day! He thought you meant you expected them to come back that evening!

For the high price they charged, this company expected too much of this particular customer. Yeah, buyer beware and all that...but it's a bit much if I have to caveat emptor their lunch policies and quibble over what the workers "meant" by what they "said." Not going back to this company, even if their main tree guy did remind us of Spider-Man while he was dangling in the big maple with his chainsaw.

And I'm so not serving home-made chocolate chip cookies and brewed coffee to the next crew...in fact, Mr. A.'s take was that the crew misinterpreted my kind gesture as the mark of a soft touch.

Amethyst
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 06:47 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Update: The company gave me a 10% discount ($300) because the team shorted me on time and their own records proved it. Amethyst
Am glad you were able to get some type of reasonable correction to the price for the shorted service.

I would work all day long if I was fed homemade chocolate chip cookies!
Lucantes is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
angie's list, customer rating, tree service, value for money, yardwork