Join Early Retirement Today

How the brain measures time
Old 01-06-2010, 12:44 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How the brain measures time

Mind - Research on How the Brain Perceives Time - NYTimes.com

I found this article interesting. It argues that the brain records the passage of time by events and not time itself. One example it used is that other people's children always seem to grow up really fast, because you do not share that many "events" with them, and the brain "telescopes" time.

I thought about the last decade as we entered the new year. The parts I remembered the most are great vacations and our wedding. I have very little memory of w*rk, even though that's where I spend most of my time.

I hope when I ER eventually I will be more engaged in things that my brain is willing to remember!
GoodSense is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

I find time still seems to fly by but when retired the memories are pleasant.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:29 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSense View Post
I have very little memory of w*rk, even though that's where I spend most of my time.
The brain tends to block out traumatic events and experiences.
Old 01-06-2010, 07:37 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
The brain tends to block out traumatic events and experiences.
I'm not sure that I agree with that entirely. I know that's a popular opinion but in my own experience I'm not too sure. Course maybe my traumatic events weren't that traumatic...that could be the reason.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Great article and I agree with its findings.

For example, I feel like I only left work recently when I quit over 20 months ago. On the other hand, the trip that we took right after seems like a long time ago because we have taken so many trips in the intervening time. I think of my last camping trip like it was in the recent past, but it has been over 10 years! (got to fix that in 2010)
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:58 AM   #6

One of my favorite t-shirts was one that said "Inside every 80-year-old is an 18-year-old wondering what the hell happened".

There was a time when someone 60 years old was "old". Later this year I'll be 60. Now "old" is 85. How did that happen?

I spent 29 years with the same employer, and that now seems like a "past life". The major events stick out and the boredom and tedium are forgotten.
But I look at DW and still see the pretty girl I married 21 years ago.