how to clean off grease from inside grill

No I haven't, after each time using the grill I turn the burners to high for 5 minutes or so to allow the grease to burn off. It cleans the grates also.
BTW if you ever do have a grease fire the worst thing to do is open the lid. That only adds more oxygen to the fire and it could quickly get out of control. Leave the lid closed and let the fire burn itself out.

I have a Weber E 210 gas grill. I needed to replace the flavorizer bars, and in process of doing so I saw all the built-on grease on inside of the grill box.
After Googling I used my bristle brush with dish soap and water. Yeah it's coming off but quite a bit of work - I'm about 1/3 done - and I'm taking a break to send this.
Any products or tips that reliably make this an easier job?

Dawn Powerwash is a good degreaser... spray let it sit for a while and then scrape with a putty knife and scrub with scrubber or wire brush. Might take more than one application.

No I haven't, after each time using the grill I turn the burners to high for 5 minutes or so to allow the grease to burn off. It cleans the grates also.
BTW if you ever do have a grease fire the worst thing to do is open the lid. That only adds more oxygen to the fire and it could quickly get out of control. Leave the lid closed and let the fire burn itself out.
I haven’t either, and I do the same 5 minute burn off after the cook.

I occasionally scrape off the gunk at the bottom of the grill and off the favorizer bars. Scrape it down into the drop pan. Most stuff ends up in the drip pan which I scrape out occasionally.

Last edited:
Dollar store oven cleaner. Get 3-4 cans assuming your grill is larger size. Oven cleaner cuts through the grease really good. Spray on, let it soak 5-10 minutes, and then wash off. I do this to my grill couple times per year. Clean the whole thing out of loose stuff, then use the oven cleaner. Trust me, it works great and washes off easily with water. After it dries out some I turn it on full heat and bake it out real good.

Edit to add: if it's real greasy, you may need a couple rounds of the oven cleaner.

I have heard of this being a popular way to clean the inside of a grill. That sounds like the easy way to go. Since grills don't last long near the ocean mine have usually rusted out before it gets to be a problem. I would, however, scrape out the thick grease into an empty can first before using the oven cleaner.

Cheers!

Just last weekend, I pressure washed both grills. It worked well but was a pain, so I’m glad to learn about the oven cleaner/Dawn/Simple Green methods and the 5-Minute Afterburn techniques. As always, thanks for teaching me something new, ER Forum.

I run my gas grill on high closed for 15 or 20 minutes after most every use and it seems to self clean that grease so it doesn’t build up. But yeah oven cleaner and a brush will get the rest of it.

Yes, thank you for the ideas. My grill gets a bit greasy. Now I know how to clean it more easily, and to not worry about getting it into pristine condition.

Back
Top Bottom