Join Early Retirement Today

how to clean off grease from inside grill
Old 08-10-2022, 07:44 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have a Weber E 210 gas grill. I needed to replace the flavorizer bars, and in process of doing so I saw all the built-on grease on inside of the grill box.
After Googling I used my bristle brush with dish soap and water. Yeah it's coming off but quite a bit of work - I'm about 1/3 done - and I'm taking a break to send this.
Any products or tips that reliably make this an easier job?
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2022, 07:54 AM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Not sure how fragile the parts are, but could you get it done using a power-washer with soap in the well? It would be a terrible mess, but might do the job with less elbow grease.
Kork13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:20 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Simple Green is a pretty good degreaser. I use it full strength on the gas grill.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:20 AM   #4

With our small Weber "Q" grill we use a cheap plastic scraper from the dollar store or Walmart paint department. Scrape all the crud toward the hole in the middle. That empties into the drip tray with disposable liner.b
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:21 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

I have made initial attacks using a putty knife or some other means of scraping the bulk of the layer off. No reason to turn 100% of the goop to liquid goop with an initial soap attack.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
With our small Weber "Q" grill we use a cheap plastic scraper from the dollar store or Walmart paint department. Scrape all the crud toward the hole in the middle. That empties into the drip tray with disposable liner.b
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
I have made initial attacks using a putty knife or some other means of scraping the bulk of the layer off. No reason to turn 100% of the goop to liquid goop with an initial soap attack.
Agree. You just scrape it and get what you can. It’s never going to be pristine. You’re just keeping the grease buildup in check so you don’t have an out of control grease fire. Remember, it’s a grill, not the oven inside your house.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:34 AM   #7

Dollar store oven cleaner. Get 3-4 cans assuming your grill is larger size. Oven cleaner cuts through the grease really good. Spray on, let it soak 5-10 minutes, and then wash off. I do this to my grill couple times per year. Clean the whole thing out of loose stuff, then use the oven cleaner. Trust me, it works great and washes off easily with water. After it dries out some I turn it on full heat and bake it out real good.

Edit to add: if it's real greasy, you may need a couple rounds of the oven cleaner.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:34 AM   #8

Another thing I like about my Big Green Egg. Since it's all ceramic, I just do what's called a "clean burn" by cranking it up to 600-700°F for an hour (with the dome closed). Grease buildup solved.
Old 08-10-2022, 08:35 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

I just scrape as a few have suggested. I do not try to get it "clean". Every once in a while I power wash the grates.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 08:47 AM   #10

Scrape off what I can then run the parts through the dishwasher
MC Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:56 AM   #11

OP here. After I posted....and had a bit of a rest.... I just went back to it with the brush, soapy water, some elbow grease, patience and as others noted didn't try to get it spick and span clean. But it's now multiple times cleaner than before!
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 09:59 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
Dollar store oven cleaner. Get 3-4 cans assuming your grill is larger size. Oven cleaner cuts through the grease really good. Spray on, let it soak 5-10 minutes, and then wash off. I do this to my grill couple times per year. Clean the whole thing out of loose stuff, then use the oven cleaner. Trust me, it works great and washes off easily with water. After it dries out some I turn it on full heat and bake it out real good.

Edit to add: if it's real greasy, you may need a couple rounds of the oven cleaner.
This works great.
Old 08-10-2022, 10:04 AM   #13

I presume the OP is referring to grease buildup on the inside of the top cover and the edges of the inside of the bottom of the grill. That's kind of hard to remove. I haven't tackled that yet.

I have a Weber Spirit II E-310 and I recently cleaned it out. Surprisingly, the greasy gunk and ashy buildup in the bottom of the box (below the burners), sloughed right off and I pushed it through the grease trap opening into a paper bag I had positioned underneath the grill. It seems the bottom of the burner box is polished, allowing for easy removal. So that part was easy.

Slightly off-topic but the disposable aluminum foil trays in the grease catch drawer can be bought much cheaper on Amazon than buying the Weber replacement trays. I have a Weber E-310 grill and I bought 25 trays for $11.99 recently. The Weber replacement parts are typically 10 for $9.99. Make sure you measure an old tray for proper size, especially the height of the tray and make sure the replacement trays are the same size.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:06 AM   #14

My grill is on my deck. You folks that use oven cleaner--do you spray it off with a hose? Or how do you remove the softened and gooey grease? I don't want to get a greasy mess on my deck.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:11 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qs Laptop View Post
My grill is on my deck. You folks that use oven cleaner--do you spray it off with a hose? Or how do you remove the softened and gooey grease? I don't want to get a greasy mess on my deck.
Yes, just use a hose with a nozzle. I do it over concrete, but the rinse doesn't come off and leave greasy residue on ground. Oven cleaner is sodium hydroxide as the active ingredient. It does not hurt to rinse into the grass. Especially since volume of water vs oven cleaner. Once grill is washed off, rinse concrete off into grass.

No real scrubbing required, let chemistry do the work.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 10:16 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I have never used Purple Power on my grill but this is really a good degreaser and the price is right at Autozone. Works good on engine blocks. I put it in a old foaming sprayer and it seems to work better.

https://www.autozone.com/miscellaneo...1362&gclsrc=ds
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 11:13 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
I have a Weber E 210 gas grill. I needed to replace the flavorizer bars, and in process of doing so I saw all the built-on grease on inside of the grill box.
After Googling I used my bristle brush with dish soap and water. Yeah it's coming off but quite a bit of work - I'm about 1/3 done - and I'm taking a break to send this.
Any products or tips that reliably make this an easier job?
Weber Genesis E-320.

I just use a plastic pot scraper to scrape what’s coming off, then maybe a small wire brush for grooves, and scrape it all into the drain pan which I scrape out into the trash later. I’m very careful with the gas tubes, a light dry brush and wipe to make sure they are free of debris.

I have never washed the inside. This is all a “veneer” and gets well baked at high temps, and a lot gets burned off.

I leave the underside of the lid/top cover alone. That has earned a nice veneer.

I’ve never used soap or a degreaser, or even water.

I always preheat my grill to 500+, let it burn for 5 mins, then give the grates a good brush off with a wire brush before grilling. Occasionally when cool I’ll turn the grates over and give the underside a good brush.
Old 08-10-2022, 11:18 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Yep!
Old 08-10-2022, 01:42 PM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

The Webers of 35 years ago had instructions to place heavy aluminum foil shiny side down, high heat for 30 minutes. Let it cool down and scrape the burnt stuff off with a putty knife.
Tried that on my 12 YO Weber when new and melted the knobs and igniter. Purchased after market knobs and igniter from Amazon and the igniter was a POS. Bought the Weber replacement.
Now I just burn it off without the foil for 30 minutes then scrape into the grease pan. Amazon does sell stainless flavor bars that so far last forever. I go through 3 20lb tanks a year.
Piper20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2022, 03:28 PM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

The thing that works is a paste made from baking soda and water. Smear it over all the stubborn carbonized grease and let it sit a while (probably an hour max). Then light scrubbing with a scrubby pad. Repeat as necessary.

Someone probably has found the faster more 'chemical' solution, but the above works for me and just rinses into the ground with the garden hose.