Join Early Retirement Today

How to deal with cinema PITAs? (Rant alert)
Old 10-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How to deal with cinema PITAs? (Rant alert)

Far too often lately I am finding that going to the movies is a game of chance, as in, chances are my enjoyment of the movie is going to be lessened by spoiled kids or clueless alleged adults with no idea how to behave in a shared environment. Most recent case in point, going to see Gravity (in 3D) on a Saturday afternoon. A combination of punky adolescents, screaming infants, gleaming cellphone screens makes me consider dropping way too much dough on a 3D TV so I can experience the waycool 3D experience without having to deal with d-bags. <end of rant> Thanks, I feel better now.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2013, 06:46 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

We haven't been to a theater in a couple of years.....for these same reasons. With bigger TV's now.....and the fact that movies come out on DVD so quick....we don't have an urge to go sit with a bunch of other people......although....I have been working on my Harry Potter "Stupefy" spell for these kinds of people.....not having much luck yet.
F4mandolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:11 PM   #3

Someone posted on facebook one day - Anyone want to go see a movie and let the kids run around? I need a break.

I bit my tongue because it was my cousin's daughter. No one replied to her.
tinlizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #4
Dryer sheet aficionado

My wife and I got so fed up with other inconsiderate theater goers a few years ago that we splurged on a decent home theater system. The projector, receiver, and speakers were a little pricey, but we now thoroughly enjoy watching Hi-Def movies on our 92-inch screen in the privacy of our own home. We don't see movies right as they come out, but to be free of all those other irritations, for us, it was money well spent.
Old 10-13-2013, 08:15 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I cannot recall the last time we went to a theater. I have to ask my wife, and she does not remember either, but agree with me that it was between 5 to 10 years ago.

We stopped going because of lack of interest in new movies, but I still find disturbing what the above posters wrote. Is it another sign of societal decay?
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:29 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I stopped going to movie theaters on a regular basis years ago because it is more both cheaper and more comfortable at home, and nowadays the home entertainment options are such that I can no longer justify being one of the first people to see a movie. When you are ER, the water cooler argument disappears!
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You should complain to the management and demand your ticket cost be refunded. If other s did the same they would enforce quiet and no cell phone use. I can tell you that where I live we have the fortune of over 3000 screens to choose from in my City and disturbing others in any fashion will get you kicked out pretty fast. I love seeing movies on the big screen even though I have a home theater system. I relegate second tier wish list movies to watching DVDs later at home when they come out on DVD.
Old 10-14-2013, 05:01 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Where we used to go once or twice a month 30 years ago, we probably see 4-6 per year now, and almost only in winter. Some movies are better on the big screen and/or 3D. Fortunately we don't have much of an issue with kids or adults misbehaving in the local theaters, ushers quickly show them out. Our problem is how few movies are made these days that are even of interest...but probably more reflection on us.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:33 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Doesn't anyone else carry pea shooters anymore?
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 05:45 AM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
Far too often lately I am finding that going to the movies is a game of chance, as in, chances are my enjoyment of the movie is going to be lessened by spoiled kids or clueless alleged adults with no idea how to behave in a shared environment. Most recent case in point, going to see Gravity (in 3D) on a Saturday afternoon. A combination of punky adolescents, screaming infants, gleaming cellphone screens makes me consider dropping way too much dough on a 3D TV so I can experience the waycool 3D experience without having to deal with d-bags. <end of rant> Thanks, I feel better now.
We go to the cinema frequently, and I completely share your frustration. Please don't leave out the old pharts. Used to be they were the best behaved. Now, they take out their giant smartphones and use them as well to light up the room.

What we need it that flying thing Luke Skywalker used to teach him to use the light saber. The one that would fly around and zap him. Every theater should have a couple, and every a$$hat that talks or uses the phone should get zapped!
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #11

Haven't been to a theatre in a few months but I think the afternoon is the best time to go.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

We only go to the movies 3-4 times a year - not as many interesting ones, the urge to "be the first to see something" has died, and for the cost these days I just want to be entertained and not preached to. But we really haven't noticed any bad behavior, perhaps because we live in a more suburban/rural area, and avoid going during high density times.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:29 AM   #13

We go semi-regularly. Some films were made for the big screen. We usually go to the first showing in the day. Less people and definitely less kids.
Old 10-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #14

We only go on Monday (senior day) or the first show on other week days when the cost is the lowest and then we have a late lunch out afterwards. Only a few people (10-12) so we get great seats. On occasion we have been the only ones in the theater. No movie is worth it to us to put up with all the people and rude behavior.

We bought a 52 inch TV a few years ago for watching movies on netflix. I still haven't sprung for a home theater speaker bar. I just can't seem to justify more than a $150 but maybe that will change by Christmas. Any suggestions?

Cheers!
Badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:18 AM   #15

I'm appalled at how people spend money for a movie and then sit there with there stupid technotoys...the same ones that endanger our lives on the roads.

We're amazed that there as so FEW movies we want to see these days, it's almost all crap. However, being retired we find that when we do go, weekdays afternoons, we don't have the annoyance factor.

Did enjoy Gravity, but I'm one of those who finds himself rolling his eyes at the technical impossibilities! Damn engineers! Would Sandra Bulluck really have worn those little panties and no socks inside a spacesuit? Well, it was a better watch that way.
H2ODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 07:31 AM   #16

We haven't been to a theater in years, partly because of lack of interest, partly because of other's rude behavior, and partly because we just don't like crowds. There are enough other options in home entertainment that movies in theaters just aren't on the radar anymore. And if it's one we do want to see, well, it'll be out on DVD, cable, or online soon enough.
Old 10-14-2013, 07:45 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2ODude View Post
....Would Sandra Bulluck really have worn those little panties and no socks inside a spacesuit? Well, it was a better watch that way.
Hey, that was DH's favorite part of the movie!
Old 10-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Hey, that was DH's favorite part of the movie!

Now I have to go see the movie....

Old 10-14-2013, 10:04 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

The last movie I saw in the theater was "Titanic".

The theater was packed, except for a few single seats sprinkled thru the theater.

About an hour in to the movie, a group of young men came in and took the available seats, then proceeded to yell conversation to each other across the theater.

People complained but the management must have been too afraid to deal with them.

Last trip to the theater for me. Totally ruined the movie for me and a lot of others.

You can't say anything to morons like these, and then you have to worry if you DO say something, they will follow you out to the dark parking lot.
Lcountz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tree-dweller View Post
I hear ya. Last time I went to see a movie in a theater was when "Ghost" came out back in the late 80's.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote