How to deter gift giver??

gayl

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I don't need anything. In fact I often wish people would just give me some homemade consumable. My eldest sister exists on social security so she can barely afford anything. Yet she has decided that I need all the Jerusalem glass that she can ever find. I can see on the tag at the bottom of the items that she is paying regular price in a regular store for them. How can I approach this matter with her? I would like to let her know that although l appreciate her intent, I would rather have a box of homemade cookies

FYI I wouldn't buy Jerusalem glass for me, I'm more of a clear glass person

"Thank you for all the glass you've given me in the past. There is so much I don't have room for any more. You know what I would really like now? Your delicious homemake cookies."

I thin the main point is to give them an alternative. We’re trying to limit gifts from our adult kids and grand kids, but of course they want to give something. I would (and plan to) just say how blessed I am to not need anything else that it would really be great if they think about consumables or giving to charity on our behalf.

In the OP case, I wouldn’t focus on the glass, instead pointing to not needing “anything”.

Maybe hint for a gift card to a favorite restaurant? My GF told me she wants experiences, not things, for such occasions.

"We're thinking of becoming minimalists and unloading a lot of (unnecessary) 'treasures'."

"how about we exchange <homemade things> instead this year. I'd love some of your cookies, can I make you a pie?"

Last edited:
I realize that, thanks to you, my Jerusalem glass collection is complete. In fact, all my collections are complete and I don't want to go through downsizing in the future. So, I propose that we switch to consumables. My choice would be your delicious cookies!

I got a puzzle with a random meaningless pattern on it from a sister in law. It has 1,000 pieces in it. We are not puzzle people so it will get donated to charity. I have an entire house full of candles that people have given me over the years. I never burn them so they last forever. I’ll eventually just throw them away.

Unless you really know a person well I think it’s inappropriate to give material items as gifts. Cookies, restaurant gift cards, anything that is consumable makes a nice gift.

I would like to let her know that although l appreciate her intent, I would rather have a box of homemade cookies.

I agree, this wording is just the way to express it. We said similar things to our family (family members to us), and it works out fine.

the vast majority of our family is or was military. Very A to B. We tell people straight out NO GIFTS. The exception is a practical needed gift. On my birthday my family replaced my 27 year old shop vac and my old corded leaf blower with a cordless.

Some people are shopping addicts and it doesn't matter what you say. For example, my MIL. She can't afford it but can't stop shopping. It's painful to watch.

Back
Top Bottom