Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
FWIW, I tried to draw the lot lines as best I could based on the road's perspective lines and T-Al's tape measure. If this is anywhere close to being accurate, clearly both the rock jetty and the evergreens are in violation.
True, but keep in mind that pavement in older subdivisions is rarely perfectly centered in the right of way.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2019, 01:45 PM   #122
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
FWIW, I tried to draw the lot lines as best I could based on the road's perspective lines and T-Al's tape measure. If this is anywhere close to being accurate, clearly both the rock jetty and the evergreens are in violation.
That's what it looked like to me too... assuming that the center of the road was the center of the right of way.

Shouldn't the left and right lines parrallel to the inner lines?

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 01:56 PM   #123
Give me a forum ...

Over the years, cars avoiding the growing shrub have moved the center of road. There are at least two problem neighbors. People are strange.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 02:38 PM   #124
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
That's what it looked like to me too... assuming that the center of the road was the center of the right of way.

Shouldn't the left and right lines parrallel to the inner lines?
I think he got the perspective about right, those lines will converge, appearing non-parallel in a photo like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Over the years, cars avoiding the growing shrub have moved the center of road. There are at least two problem neighbors. People are strange.
It does look a bit like the car path has drifted away from those shrubs, which would be a natural and maybe unconscious thing for a driver to do.

I wonder if Mr Jetty is posting on another forum somewhere, about his neighbor in back with the rusty woodsheds, and his neighbor to the side with his overgrown shrubs forcing people to drive up on his property?

There's always two sides to a story, and a road.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 07:52 PM   #125
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My guess is that the center of the road is pretty close to the center of the ROW. Maybe it drifted left a foot or so. It is possibly confirmed by the different lengths of the 2 outer lines closest to the camera from the tire tracks to the outer edge of the ROW as defined by the tape measure. I first created the vanishing point based on the right side pavement and the tire paths on the roadway. It is a little offset to the left because that is where the camera was positioned. Then I went to the end of the tape measure, as shown by T-Al and drew the left hand ROW line. The right hand pretty much aligned with the paved driveway and the tip of the tape.

It is by no means a valid surveying method. Still, it should be close.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:44 AM   #126
Give me a forum ...

Lot 43 bought the wrong property and tries to improve how it feels to him. In the photo his house also looks very close to the access drive. Dust is getting kicked up by vehicles using the access. This one's a real challenge.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 12:48 PM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Met with lawyer. He was okay, but I think we spent about $100 on him saying um, uh, er, etc.

$350 for today's hour and $350 for him to write a demand letter. #blowthedough His letter will request that the tip of the "jetty" be moved back 5' and the whole rock wall moved at least 2'.

We are leaving the fence issue for now. He mentioned that if I push the fence, the neighbor might demand that I move the remaining woodshed to meet setback requirements

https://i.imgur.com/CSGSECb.png

I'll pursue that more if I'm unable to grow a hedge.
Old 07-31-2019, 12:57 PM   #128
gone traveling

I've probably missed some things, but why doesn't the controlling government authority want the jetty rocks off what looks like a public right-of-way/street? As others wrote, the restricted with can be a safety hazard.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:06 PM   #129
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
I've probably missed some things, but why doesn't the controlling government authority want the jetty rocks off what looks like a public right-of-way/street? As others wrote, the restricted with can be a safety hazard.
Yes, I (and probably others) have said something like that too.

I don't understand getting a lawyer involved, spending that money, for what some govt agency should be doing for you for free.

The heck with moving part of it 5' and part 2', get the whole thing off that 20' access. There might even be an easement alongside that, with no building allowed in the easement. We have a 10' easement alongside each side of the road at our house.

You are tip toeing around this. Get the controlling municipality involved, the sooner the better. And you should make sure your stuff is in compliance as well, looks like your sheds weren't/aren't?

I don't think you ever told us how long the 'jetty' has been there - you did say he built it all in a day or two. When was that?

edit/add: Plus, if you settle for a compromise, and it goes on for years, you are going to fall into that "adverse possession" area of the law, and you may never get your 20' back. Could affect resale value of the house when potential new owners see they were supposed to have a 20' wide access, and they don't.

Unless I'm missing something, I don't think that lawyer is doing you good service. If he can make a few hundred getting a compromise, it was easy work. It's not his driveway.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 01:19 PM   #130
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I agree, I thought that was way less than should be required by the county. I would want it enforced, not for the sake of rigidity, but to keep your house from burning down before the fire department can get the appropriate vehicle within reach.

And are the woodsheds anchored? I would ask that the fence meet code, and just move the woodsheds on my own proactively, or at least as soon as it was brought up. Or is it more trouble than I'm imagining?
Old 07-31-2019, 02:40 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, can't speak for Al's government.

Raleigh is pretty easy going, but if neighbors call on this kind of thing, they will write up citations really quick.

I live in a non-HOA neighborhood. That's OK. I think the city has enough codes. We've had neighbors written up to move cars, cut grass (yes, cut grass!), and tear down decks that didn't have proper setback.

(PS: I've never had to call, or been cited. Just hear it from the buzz in the neighborhood when it happens. We're still wondering who called in the tallish grass. )

PPS: I was just reading the code. Looks like Al's other neighbor, the one with the big shrub on the easement, could be written up if it happened here. Just sayin'.
Quote:
A place of shrubs or other similar vegetation over eight (8) inches in height when any of such shrubs or vegetation is:
(1)
Encroaching upon the sidewalk, the parkway, or the curb or edge of the pavement of any abutting street , or
(2)
A focal point for any other nuisance enumerated in this code.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 03:25 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Rock wall was built a few weeks ago. County government can be slow.