Join Early Retirement Today

How to e-mail pics using iphoto/macbook?
Old 10-07-2008, 08:28 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How to e-mail pics using iphoto/macbook?

Tried to follow instructions using HELP feature on iphoto. Pic is prepared for e-mailing but when I continue, it asks for "incoming mail server". How do I know what should be put there? For some reason, iphoto picked on my hotmail e-mail account to be used for something but is the e-mail from hotmail or from some Apple mail account which I need to set up?
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

As far as I know, hotmail goes out of their way to prevent you from accessing it as a true mail server with incoming and outgoing service addresses.

Almost every other free mail service allows this.

Incoming and Outgoing Mail Server Settings for Hotmail, Yahoo, Google GMail, AOL and more

Double check the addresses with the service you decide to go with...I know google has changed theirs a couple of times and I dont know if this document is current.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:45 AM   #3

kaneohe, that is an odd message about the incoming mail server.

Are you doing this?:
-In iPhoto, select the image
-Choose "email" under the "Share" menu at the top of the screen
-You should see a dialog where you can choose a size plus some minor options
-When you are done there, click "Compose"
-iPhoto will automatically generate a mail using the mail app you choose in iPhoto preferences (with whatever your primary account is there, I assume).

If you can't send outgoing mail from hotmail using the mail program(s) on your computer then, yeah, you should sign up for another account as CFB describes .. or use an outgoing address that comes directly from your Internet Service Provider.

Alternately, if you really need/want to use hotmail then, in iPhoto, choose "Share"/"Export" and save as a .jpg that you can attach somehow in hotmail (I have no experience w/hotmail but I assume you can do this).

P.S. Double-check size limits for hotmail attachments to make sure it has a likelihood of going through.
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 06:02 PM   #4

CFB & LDF----appreciate the responses.

LDF---basically I did what you have outlined. I actually used an e-mail
icon on the bottom (instead of share/e-mail) but the following steps seemed to be the same. I can address the e-mail (To: xxxxxxxxx) but when I click the send button, nothing seems to happen (maybe it is at glacial speed and I am giving up too early). At one point, I selected the smaller size pic thinking it had a better chance of going but same result. Curiously, when I tried just a few minutes ago, the options leading to the dialog about incoming mail server did not show up. Maybe it does it only the first time in a day or wk?? but it does recur.

Previously I did try to send the pic directly from Yahoo mail/hotmail by attaching the .jpg file. Again same thing----I could attach but when I hit send,
nothing happened. File size?

CFB---thanks for the link...seems related to that thing I asked about.
I'll have to read it again and get up the courage to try something w/o
understanding what I'm doing....... there's a mail program on the Mac that is going to send a message thru hotmail w/o me opening hotmail?

it's hard to do stuff when there is no understanding of basic principles.

Here's another silly question that should have you rolling on the floor.
If you take the memory chip from the camera to e.g. Costco and want to have select pics made but not all......how do you tell Costco which ones?
After I got the first 4 pics from the chip to the Mac, somehow I found the
.jpg files by using some search function (have not been able to reproduce it) but they were not numbered 1-4 but instead something like 5-8.
kaneohe is offline   Reply With Quote