Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How to get silicone off of skin?
Old 03-11-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How to get silicone off of skin?

I was using GE silicone ina caulking tube today and got it all over...then got my hands muddy....now i cant get this brown stuff off my hands!!!

I tried nail polish remover, hand cleaner with pumice then xylene, the only 3 things i have that i could think of

any ideas? a google search ran me in circles
thefed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

shower, wear. be all off in a day or so.
calmloki is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:48 PM   #3
gone traveling

Try denatured alcohol.
Westernskies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:19 AM   #4

Oh man i'm in trouble! We have family pictures tomorrow and I'm supposed to do a shot with my just-turned-1-year-old son where we both hold his hand and 'walk' with him...all you see is each of our hands and then him with his arms up and to the side holding ours. can you say photoshop?? my wife is pissed!
Old 03-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Oh man i'm in trouble! We have family pictures tomorrow and I'm supposed to do a shot with my just-turned-1-year-old son where we both hold his hand and 'walk' with him...all you see is each of our hands and then him with his arms up and to the side holding ours. can you say photoshop?? my wife is pissed!
First, what's the biggest problem... that you have an image which 30 years from now will bring a smile to everyone's face? (I wouldn't manipulate it.)

Anyway, in trouble you may well be. A Google search indicates that the only solution is mechanical removal (sandpaper or amputation? ). There is, however, an outside chance that Acetone (Fingernail Polish Remover) will soften it a little. That might help some. Vinegar was also mentioned.
RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 06:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefed View Post
Well, since you live in Cleveland, why not suggest that the pictures be taken outside, where I'm sure you will need to wear gloves?
Old 03-12-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

try lacquer thinner - it is a mixture of a number of solvents - usually one in the mixture will work. Unfortunately, one is also benzene, so it's not a good idea to use on a regular basis.
Old 03-12-2009, 11:25 AM   #8

Let it cure and it will peel off fairly easily.
Old 03-12-2009, 02:28 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Remind me to use that stuff next time I do some caulking. Sounds like it should last forever

Might try some Goop.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 05:36 PM   #10

It is amazing that it stuck this well! lacquer thinner didnt work. im just peeling and scrubbing hourly. pics are in 15 hrs....and i've decided to concentrat my efforts on just one hand...i got it almost clean on the top...and then got a 1 inch gouge while working today. wooohoo
Old 03-12-2009, 07:57 PM   #11

Life is like a classroom. Sometimes it kills you but most of the time you learn without serious injury. Wear gloves next time
Notmuchlonger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 11:19 PM   #12

If you got that messy with silicone caulk, hopefully it was because you were using a finger as a bead-smoothing tool. But I always have paper towels handy to wipe off and re-use that same finger, rather than just using the next finger, and then the next... Don't take your shoes off!!!

Westernskies mentioned denatured alcohol, rubbing alcohol (isopropyl) does dissolve silicone. Not real quickly for cured silicone, though.
Old 03-13-2009, 06:41 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Life is like a classroom. Sometimes it kills you but most of the time you learn without serious injury. Wear gloves next time

for the record, i was siliconing a fitting to the end of a pvc pipe...its a losse fitting black piece to mate 4" pvc to 4" black corrugated, and i wanted to be sure it was as close to water-tight as possible. i was muddy as heck, and think grabbed some silicone disguised as mud while using my hands as shovels to grade my trench. gloves were off because i had worn holes right thru the fingertips while hand-shoveling gravel. the rest is history....
Old 03-13-2009, 05:04 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Isn't it paintable caulk? Just give it a coat of fleshtone, and voila!
Old 03-16-2009, 08:00 PM   #15

[quote=Telly;794966]If you got that messy with silicone caulk, hopefully it was because you were using a finger as a bead-smoothing tool. But I always have paper towels handy to wipe off and re-use that same finger, rather than just using the next finger, and then the next... Don't take your shoes off!!!

I dip my finger in mineral spirits when using silicone caulk, keeps the caulk from sticking to your finger but once dry, only thing I know to do is to let it wear off or peel it if it's thick enough.
davemartin88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 05:40 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
just using the next finger, and then the next... Don't take your shoes off!
Or your pants.
Old 03-17-2009, 05:46 PM   #17

FYI ... I wouldn't be soaking myself in organic solvents (your liver pays the price). Better to wait a few days ... it'll wear off.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:10 PM   #18

Friction usually works with silicone - once it has dryed, rubbing your hands together will take off the glue. But, I have never added mud to the equation....
Now if you are talking about the "hot blue" stuff for PVC piping.....time is the only cure - that stuff has to wear off!