Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-26-2011, 12:15 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
In the flow chart, I would have added a "fail" node for anyone who raises his or her voice to make a point. I think one reason I rarely get upset in Internet discussions is that there is no audio track.

Amethyst
Yep...and we can't interupt each other...
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2011, 12:30 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I saw this post and I am not happy with it, so I am returning to it. I may have given an impression that does not fully reflect my feelings. I have been helped by many posts from many people. I do usually read the threads that are more concerned with factual things than the pure opinion threads, but I get into those also.

I have thought about this issue a fair amount. I felt that during the downturn in 08-09, and the subsequent recovery that it might have been better for me to just go off the board for a while. Random ideas, some affected by the very stressful market conditions, can be hard to resist. We are all social animals, and moods are catching.

On the other hand, this board is full of people who are genuine experts on many things, many things that I really don't now and never will know very much about. So when I or someone else asks a question, and board members answer, it is always helpful to me.

And like some others mentioned, I enjoy the humor, and the very real concern for other members that is very often evident here.

Ha
I'm glad you posted this expanded consideration, Ha, as I am sure that very few of my posts meet anyone's standards of providing valuable information (just like in my real life!) but somehow I can't stop myself from posting anyway.

I appreciate the people who ask questions here about their portfolios or other financial decisions and the people who respond to them--it all gets added to the mesh of existing material that floats around in my brain and gets filtered in some kind of random decision tree if I find myself in a similar situation.

For example, not sure I'll find myself shopping at the Goodwill store yet, but I'm super impressed by what some people find there (Freebird I believe just snapped up some fancy shoe clips). And although I'll never be in a position to spend $300K a year, such fun to imagine it.
Old 03-26-2011, 06:56 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by amethyst View Post
i think one reason i rarely get upset in internet discussions is that there is no audio track.
I think there is!!!*

*[I tried to type that in uppercase, but vBulletin seems to be turning down the audio track...]

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:13 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

Oh, Nords, if anybody should know the difference between verbal abuse on screen and verbal abuse in person, it's a submariner or any kind of sailor!

I cannot stand being loudly talked at, unless it's a noisy environment or something. I will leave an argument, rather than let a shouter/ranter hurt my ears and blood pressure.

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I think there is!!!*

*[I tried to type that in uppercase, but vBulletin seems to be turning down the audio track...]
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 06:48 AM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
I think one reason I rarely get upset in Internet discussions is that there is no audio track.
But you can always add your own:

Absolute Sound Effects Archive
rescueme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 11:09 AM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The nuance of the tone of voice and facial expression adds immeasurably to any active dialog. Somehow smileys don't capture it at all...
Old 03-27-2011, 11:20 AM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Oh, Nords, if anybody should know the difference between verbal abuse on screen and verbal abuse in person, it's a submariner or any kind of sailor!

I cannot stand being loudly talked at, unless it's a noisy environment or something. I will leave an argument, rather than let a shouter/ranter hurt my ears and blood pressure.

Amethyst
I guess being a recruit in the Army is out of the question then?

Below is fine example of Drill instructors giving guidance and direction.
You have to experience it to appreciate the impact.

Ignore if easily offended.

Old 03-27-2011, 12:03 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rescueme View Post
But you can always add your own:

Absolute Sound Effects Archive
Great idea! Emphasize your main points with a burp effect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls99 View Post
I guess being a recruit in the Army is out of the question then?
Gosh, no, that definitely qualifies as something that'd make me end a discussion in a hurry! I was just referring to Nords's service in particular.

A.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote