Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How to Hold Your Pencil
Old 02-06-2008, 01:29 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How to Hold Your Pencil

Seems like each time I see someone on TV writing, they are not holding the pen/pencil in the recommended way. That grip is superior to what I usually see, but I guess they don't teach this anymore.

I remember that at age 8 or so I held it the wrong way, but I was taught to do it correctly.
TromboneAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

That’s among the reasons that I don’t watch television any more.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Sometimes I rest the pencil between index and middle finger, with the thumb, middle finger and ring finger holding the tip.
Old 02-06-2008, 02:45 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

One of the great heros of my life was the guy who sat in front of me in 8th grade: he showed me how to hold the pencil. I had years of unnecessary Ds in penmanship and you wouldn't believe the writer's bumps in odd places.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:34 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Sometimes I rest the pencil between index and middle finger, with the thumb, middle finger and ring finger holding the tip.
I almost always do it this way, unless I'm only writing a signature. Seems more natural to me.

This thread wasnt what I thought it was going to be about.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 03:37 PM   #6

It's written down *and* on the Internet, so it has to be true:

Pencil test - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mike D.
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:02 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Seems like each time I see someone on TV writing, they are not holding the pen/pencil in the recommended way. That grip is superior to what I usually see, but I guess they don't teach this anymore.
I spend far more time with my hands on a keyboard/mouse than a pen/pencil. My block printing is worse than it's ever been and I can no longer write cursive.

If I could spit Post-It Notes out of a printer then I'd never touch a pen/pencil again...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 07:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

I remember that at age 8 or so I held it the wrong way, but I was taught to do it correctly.

You sound like a piano teacher.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #9
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I spend far more time with my hands on a keyboard/mouse than a pen/pencil. My block printing is worse than it's ever been and I can no longer write cursive.

If I could spit Post-It Notes out of a printer then I'd never touch a pen/pencil again...

I rarely write anything anymore (have also gone to mainly block printing); my handwriting has always been bad and, with arthritis et al, keeps getting worse. The only time I do cursive is when I have to sign something, and I'm amazed that they're still accepting my crabbed scrawl.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Funny.... I write good block.. but lost my cursive so many years ago it is not funny... I tried to write cursive a few months back.. and I could NOT...

And there was one legal document that they had put in my middle name... I do not use it to sign... but they insisted I needed to sign with my middle name... it looked like a 3rd grader with my 'nice' signature on both sides... hilarious...
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 07:03 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I started block printing (in caps) in college because I couldn't read my cursive notes. Also worked well in business because eveybody was able to read my memos. Now I write BIG block when I send letters to elderly people and I'm sure they appreciate it. My step-father also taught me that you're supposed to hold a paint brush the same way you're supposed to hold a pencil, but if I'm painting big stuff my hand gets tired and I usually resort to just wrapping my paw around the end of the brush.
Payin-the-Toll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:30 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right. Every year or so I need to write a paper check. Try writing "Two thousand eight hundred and fifty" in cursive. Embarrassing.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:47 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Even as a lefty: you must hold the proper way.

True love - the trusty no. 2 Dixon Ticonderoga Woodgrain and the little block pencil sharpener in the right pocket. Better than an RC Cola and a Moon Pie.

Of course I held a mechanical with no. 2 lead in my pocketprotector in the 1960's at the aircraft plant - but the woodies were always my fav.

DeCaf this morning, snow on the ground, putting off any errands til it warms up above thirty - ER is good.

heh heh heh -
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 08:54 AM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

hahah i hold my pencil the wrong way i have calices all over my hands lol
Old 02-07-2008, 05:58 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

When I was a kid attending parochial school, the nuns made us practice our cursive writing every single day, and holding the pencil just right while we wrote on that wide ruled wood-chip paper was part of the practice.

To this day, I find myself idly practicing my cursive capitals and lower case letters when I'm chatting on the phone....and even studied calligraphy so I could hand letter my wedding invitations some 31 years ago! (Took me nearly two months to do them, by the way.)

If any of you guys need any help writing out those checks, just holler!
Achiever51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Right. Every year or so I need to write a paper check. Try writing "Two thousand eight hundred and fifty" in cursive. Embarrassing.
I solve that by using block lettering for everytning except the signature.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:52 AM   #17

Quote:

Most valuable class I took in high school long before the PC revolution was typing (those IBM selectrics or something like that). I hardly know any men my age who 10 finger type.

Not only is my cursive gone and block printing almost illegable, as a lefty my pencil efforts are one big smeared mess. Always enjoyed watching my Israeli friends write backwards.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:42 AM   #18
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
If you'll make me the payee, you can write it anyway you like.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Concerning typing, I remember a day in college when I felt that I was still peeking at the keys occasionally, despite being a self-taught touch typer. So, I used a hole punch to create little dots of tape, and covered the keys with them. Within three weeks I was cured, and typing faster. Side benefit was that no one asked to borrow my typewriter.
Old 02-08-2008, 11:46 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achiever51 View Post
When I was a kid attending parochial school, the nuns made us practice our cursive writing every single day, and holding the pencil just right while we wrote on that wide ruled wood-chip paper was part of the practice.
I have fond memories of cursive writing lessons from Catholic grade school, too. We'd practice loops and whorls and whatever other patterns there were.

I actually won third place in our penmanship contest in fourth grade. That was my most pleasing award in school.

It was downhill after that anyway--not very many awards afterwards.
flipstress is offline   Reply With Quote