Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

How to Hook up Speakers
Old 07-20-2013, 06:26 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How to Hook up Speakers

I need help..... I bought a great sounding pair of JBL speakers from my neighbor who just moved but now that I have them home I don't know how to hook them up! They last stereo I bought came with speaker wire that you just plugged in. These JBL speakers have 4 connectors of some sort on the back but nothing to plug in. I guess I need to buy a new amplifier or receiver or something? And some kind of speaker wire without plugs? OMG, I feel like a fool now! What was I thinking, LOL.....
JustMeUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2013, 06:30 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

Just In case someone knows about this stuff they are JBL STUDIO 530
Old 07-20-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

You just need some speaker wire run from the speaker to the receiver. Usually a post connector or spring clips. On the post there is a nut that you screw down to secure the wire. The spring clip, the wire just goes under the clip.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

This has 4 knobs per speaker, do I need 2 wires to each speaker?

Any recommendation for a receiver for under a couple hundred dollars?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:01 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Google is your friend (or wait, were you the person who is afraid of Google? I can't recall):

http://www.jbl.com/images/media/STUDIO530_OM_EN.pdf

Here's the deal - those speakers have an option for a more advanced hook-up that you do not need to worry about ( 2 pairs of connectors to allow one amplifier for the highs, a separate amplifier for the lows - called bi-amplification, now legal in all 50 states ). See page 9 of the manual.

You want the shorting bars between pairs of posts, and then one (two-wire) connection to the receiver output for each speaker. If the bars are missing, a wire jumper will work as well.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Recycles dryer sheets

See attached diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: png JBL studio 530 wiring.png (46.0 KB, 10 views)
Ozstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMeUC View Post
This has 4 knobs per speaker, do I need 2 wires to each speaker?

That's called a bi-wire connection. It allows you to use a separate power amplifier to drive the woofer (low frequency speaker) from the horn and midrange drivers (mid-high frequency speakers). Some folks will feel that this is terribly important. :-)

There should be a metal strip linking the two red posts, and another strip linking the two black posts, unless the previous owner had used the bi-wire setup. If the metal strips are missing, you will want to use your speaker wire to connect one lead to BOTH red posts, and the other lead to BOTH black posts. WIthout this the sound will be missing the low notes (if the low frequency speaker is not connected) or the mid-high notes (if the mid-high frequency speakers are not connected.)

Here's a copy of the manual that Crutchfields had on-line: http://a248.e.akamai.net/pix.crutchf...109ST520CB.PDF

They're really nice speakers. I have their big brothers in my home theater setup.
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:18 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

heh-heh - how many audiophiles does it take to wire a speaker?

-ERD50
Old 07-20-2013, 07:20 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
What kind of receiver do you have (make/model#)? It's probably fine for your needs.

-ERD50
Old 07-20-2013, 07:24 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Thanks!!!!

One of the speakers has a 2 bars between them, the other one only has one bar so I guess I am going to have to get another bar? where would I go about getting one?

ok, all i have is my mp3 player... which is NOT going to push music to these guys. Any advice for an amplifier or receiver? and, while your at it, what is the difference between an amplifier and a receiver?
Old 07-20-2013, 07:27 PM   #11
Administrator

Quote:
Thanks!!!!

One of the speakers has a 2 bars between them, the other one only has one bar so I guess I am going to have to get another bar? where would I go about getting one?

ok, all i have is my mp3 player... which is NOT going to push music to these guys. Any advice for an amplifier or receiver? and, while your at it, what is the difference between an amplifier and a receiver?

You can simply put a small jumper wire between the posts without the bar. That's really all the bar is.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
heh-heh - how many audiophiles does it take to wire a speaker?

-ERD50
Answer: none. Any googlaphile can find out how to do it
Ozstache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 PM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
You can simply put a small jumper wire between the posts without the bar. That's really all the bar is.
A jumper wire would be? just a wire that connects the 2? Is it really that simple?

I have never hooked up anything like this before and I am overthinking the whole thing.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
What kind of receiver do you have (make/model#)? It's probably fine for your needs.

-ERD50
I don't have anything but an MP3 player and my Android phone. I threw my stereo away when I moved from Nicaragua, was too big to transport.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:39 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Thanks!!!!

An audiophile walks into a bar....

No problem, just a little wire jumper between them is fine. Yes, just a little piece of wire. Just make sure it goes from same-color to same-color. That's important in electrical stuff. Don't cross the streams! (Ghost-busters reference - don't want to throw you off).

If your music source is an mp3 player, with a headset output, here are two little amplifiers - I think either will fit your needs and are inexpensive. I own both of them, the little one for a TV/speakers, the larger one for a fairly high quality sound system (but on the smaller side - for our bedroom). Neither will get you to rock concert volumes, but they will pump an impressive amount of sound for the money. Best off, they are very compact ans simple - one in, one out :

Dayton Audio DTA-100a Class-T Digital Amplifier 50 WPC Provides Power To Computer Speakers, Bookshelf Speakers, Headphones, And More! 300-383

Lepai LP-2020A+ Tripath Class-T Hi-Fi Audio Amp w/Power Supp 310-300

Oh, amplifier versus receiver - An 'amp' is a one trick pony, and does it well - it takes a signal from a "source" (like your mp3 player) and amplifies the power to drive some speakers. Nothing else. The links I gave you are for amplifiers.

A 'receiver' usually has multiple inputs for tape, etc, and an FM tuner, maybe AM, maybe a phono-input too. And it drives speakers (with a built in amplifier).

-ERD50
Old 07-20-2013, 07:44 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

I actually have the little Lepai hooked up to my TV with a pair of Dayton speakers that my BIL set up for me. So I can use that for the stereo speakers too? I thought I needed something "stronger" the guy that sold me these speakers said I should use something that was at least 100 watts.
Old 07-20-2013, 07:54 PM   #17
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
A jumper wire would be? just a wire that connects the 2? Is it really that simple?
Yes. Just a wire connecting the two.
jon-nyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I actually have the little Lepai hooked up to my TV with a pair of Dayton speakers that my BIL set up for me. So I can use that for the stereo speakers too? I thought I needed something "stronger" the guy that sold me these speakers said I should use something that was at least 100 watts.
Yes (qualified yes - see below), but you would need to disconnect it from the other speakers and source.

I say qualified yes, because it depends how loud you want to listen to the music. If you find that with that little amp you are often cranking the volume up past ~ 1/2 way, and especially if you are starting to get some distortion - then keep the volume down and get a larger amplifier.

I see those speakers are of reasonable efficiency, 92db sensitivity, so they will play reasonably loud with a small amp. Your friend was probably talking about listening at fairly good volume - that does take a bigger amp for really good sound, but it isn't necessary. Just be careful not to run it so hard the sound is distorted, that can (questionably) damage some speakers.

-ERD50
Old 07-20-2013, 09:50 PM   #19
Administrator

Quote:

I have never hooked up anything like this before and I am overthinking the whole thing.
Yes, you can use the same type wire you use to connect the speakers to the receiver. Just cut about a three inch length, strip both ends, and screw each end down to one of the posts. It will stick out in the back and will not be as streamlined as the nifty bar, but it will work.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:22 AM   #20
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:

Or paper clip.
KingB is offline   Reply With Quote