How to keep photos from sticking together? Any ideas?

Orchidflower

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was looking thru a box of old photos and tossing some, keeping some; however, some of the photos seem to have stuck together. All I can figure out is that it's from the humidity in Houston as the box they were in did not get wet.

My question is: Is there a simple way to keep photos from sticking together? Amazingly, the matte photos stuck together so much as the glossy ones, so the humidity is nondiscriminating; but there are just too many photos at this time to sit down and put them all in scrapbooks or put tissue around each one. I need a quick fix for this.

Rice is used to keep humidity from salt in a salt shaker. Would it help if I added some rice in the box I put the photos in to absorb the humidity? Or stick a couple of those little things they put in your pill bottles to absorb humidity in with the photos might work?

I hope some of our great amateur photographers on this board see this and spill some secrets out about this subject...:whistle:

I don't print photos anymore!

But my old photos worth keeping are in archival sleeves and stored in a climate controlled environment.

Audrey

How to Store Photos, Collectibles and Mementos : Self Storage Tips from Extra Space Storage

If you store them in an airtight plastic bag/box, place the unsealed bag/box with the photos in your refrigerator for a few hours to remove moisture from the air in the bag.

What a simple, great idea! That really works? I'm trying it then.
I wonder why the refrigerator would remove the moisture from the air in the bag? No scientist here as you can tell....:rolleyes:

When I move I am using the Omaha Steaks box which is one of those lightweight foam boxes. I figure that will make it waterproof and better than cardboard, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom