How to keep property stakes locatable in the future?

I wasn't home when the surveyors were here last week. I was just outside poking around the yard and noticed that, in addition to uncovering the corner stakes, they had thoughtfully placed a wood stake right on the property line next to the offending fence. The corner post is clearly 1.25 feet (= 16") on my property.

I spoke to a local attorney about this situation. He mentioned that after 15 years the fenced portion of my land would revert to the neighbors if I do not take any action. As for next steps, I decided that I will politely ask the neighbors to move the fence off my property. If they do not, I will have the attorney send them a letter and see if that motivates them.

(As temping as it would be to rip out the offending section of the fence and dump it in the neighbor's yard >:D, it sounds like too much work. )

omni

Attachments

• boundary stake, fence and tape from distance.jpg
    boundary stake, fence and tape from distance.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 25
  • boundary stake and fence....1.25 ft intrusion.jpg
    boundary stake and fence....1.25 ft intrusion.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 25
Take a plastic container and cut a hole in the bottom. Dig out around the post and push the container down over the post. Fill the container with concrete flush with the rebar. You may want to drive the rebar down so that it is flush with the ground if it sticks up. The container could be 5-6 inches in diameter or a size of your choosing. Result is visible with little or no hazard.

Sent from my XT1575 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

We have six "corners" on our lot and so far I've only found 2 of them. I put a piece of 3 " PVC over the pins with an end cap that sticks up a few inches for visibility. Thanks for the tip about magnetic detectors as I plan to rent one to find the others. I planned to cover them with a stepping stone set flush with ground level to mark the ones in the front yard. I want my neighbors and their contractors to notice them without being an eyesore.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Thanks for the tip about magnetic detectors as I plan to rent one to find the others.
The magnetic locators can be a trick to find--few tool rental places carry them. It should have a tube that you "aim" at the ground, not the regular metal detector "flat plate/coil" at the end of a stick.
Happy hunting!

This is the type of metal detector that the surveyors use

http://www.allenconstructionequipme...tic-locator/?gclid=CIu_6e6ojc0CFQIOaQodLrANhA

Turn it on with one button. Another button for sound frequency. Wave the point of the detector a few inches about the ground. It makes a continuous noise that is higher pitched when above something metal. The deeper the metal, the lesser the pitch. It will pick up the presence of metal to about 3' down.ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1465007566.029003.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Bore a post hole, but no post. Fill with concrete with a good size ferris metal object inside, and a brass tag attached to the top. Then document the gps co ord.

In the city , surveyors often off set the monuments in 18 inches , so fences constructed right on the property line don't damage the survey tag

Yay! The fence has beeen moved off my property

Three fence guys were here this morning. In 45 minutes they moved the fence off my property. :dance:

Wow...there's not much to these things. Basically, they uprooted and replanted the corner post...using one of those post pounder-in thingies. (I couldn't see it, but I could hear it.) All but the end and corner posts are sort of freestanding and supported by the chain-link material. No cement below ground.

This is SE Michigan with lots of freeze-thaw cycles in the winter months. Perhaps a chain link fence (as long as no one is hitting it laterally) is a simple vertical load and doesn't require a solid freeze-proof foundation below grade. Dunno. We'll have to see after a few years.

Anyhoo...here are a few pics. They moved the offending corner post about 8" onto their own property. One photo shows the old post hole, the property stake and the new corner post. (Sorry about the distance shot, not sure why it rotated, as it is right-side up on my screen).

omni
Save

Attachments

• Fence relo. distance.jpg
    Fence relo. distance.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 27
  • fence relo closeup stake and post.jpg
    fence relo closeup stake and post.jpg
    851 KB · Views: 25
  • fence relo - okd hole, stake, new post.jpg
    fence relo - okd hole, stake, new post.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 24