Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

How to own a handgun?
Old 10-05-2016, 11:15 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

How to own a handgun?

I feel that I need to have a handgun, not for a real need to defense or something like that, just think I need one in my life. So please do not get into politics or argue if I should have a gun or not. I just need some information. I am in Kentucky.

Since I have never touched a gun. How should I learn to shoot a gun? Should I buy a (used and cheap) gun first, then learn to shoot; or should I learn to shoot first (how and where), then buy a good gun?

(I think this is similar to learn to drive and own a car.)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2016, 11:16 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Some gun shops have indoor ranges where you can shoot various guns to see what you like best.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:19 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just replying so I'll be alerted to other replies. This is something I am considering as well.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #4
gone traveling

Absolutely seek out some training. You might want to see if the NRA has any classes in your area or via a local gun shop and/or range. In general, I would say get training first, try out a few different pistols and then buy what you are most comfortable with and can shoot well.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:22 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Go to a gun range try out a few. You can have an instructor recommend and teach you how to use one.
Then buy a good gun and go to the range and practice regularly
A 9mm is probably a good choice..
Old 10-05-2016, 11:35 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Definitely training first. An NRA class or something similar offered by a range. Once you're familiar with the mechanics of a gun, try them out. I think you'll find that it's a fun and rewarding hobby. Sort of like golf, in that it only takes one good shot to keep you coming back.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:45 AM   #7
Give me a forum ...

+1 on some training. Your local range should be able to set you up. After that, rent a few different flavors of handgun to see what you like. I would suggest a 9MM semi-automatic, a .22 of some sort, and a .38/.357 revolver. If this is essentially a toy, it doesn't matter what you buy so long as it is fun to shoot. If this is for zombies/self defense/coyotes, do some research before you buy.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 10-05-2016, 11:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Definitely training first. An NRA class or something similar offered by a range. Once you're familiar with the mechanics of a gun, try them out. I think you'll find that it's a fun and rewarding hobby. Sort of like golf, in that it only takes one good shot to keep you coming back.
I completely agree.

Training first, is imo, one of the most important things you can do to ensure you are a safe and effective shooter. This is preferred over even "having a friend teach" because you are more likely to be taught how to do things "right" from the beginning when using an instructor vs. someone who may not be as competent as they believe they are. Also, always remember to follow the four rules of firearm safety.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:52 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

In our area, there are many local gun shops with associated indoor shooting ranges. In Kentucky there must be many and they will be easy to find with a google search with terms like "gun range" or "indoor shooting range", etc. Just go to one or two and have some fun. No need to buy a gun until you have had training, practiced, and have had some fun.
Old 10-05-2016, 11:55 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL! View Post
"indoor shooting range"
Oh yeah: for your first outing I would pick an outdoor range over an indoor one if you have a choice. Its a lot easier to concentrate and learn when you are not deafened every 3 seconds by the dude with the magnum cannon two lanes over. Being outdoors gives you a little less noise to contend with.

- George Orwell

Old 10-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Oh yeah: for your first outing I would pick an outdoor range over an indoor one if you have a choice. Its a lot easier to concentrate and learn when you are not deafened every 3 seconds by the dude with the magnum cannon two lanes over. Being outdoors gives you a little less noise to contend with.
Not to mention lead dust.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:09 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Not to mention lead dust.
For sure. Not likely to be an issue for one visit, though.

- George Orwell

Old 10-05-2016, 12:22 PM   #13

If nothing else from training sticks, just this one : Never let the gun be pointed at anything that is not ok to be shot.

This also applies to when you think i't not loaded.

I can't count the number of accidental discharges I have seen, including an embarrassingly high number in law enforcement.
Old 10-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post

Since I have never touched a gun. How should I learn to shoot a gun? Should I buy a (used and cheap) gun first, then learn to shoot; or should I learn to shoot first (how and where), then buy a good gun?

Take a look at the local gun shops in your area and get a feel for what training they have. Since you've never handled a firearm before I'd recommend a basic or entry level safe handling course. There are many flavors of these but generally speaking the NRA designed courses would be best for you. Not very expensive at all. And they are ~very~ safety oriented.

Hopefully the course will allow you to handle both a semiautomatic pistol and a revolver. Then you can make decision as to which type you'd like to own and become proficient with ( maybe both! ). At that point take your time and research what's available before purchasing anything. Maybe you have an acquaintance or friend that's already in the hobby and can help you shop around.

Since you're new to the hobby I'd recommend a new purchase, as used firearms (as in anything) may have hidden problems that you'd be hard pressed to find.

You can then take subsequent courses on shooting skills if you like.

Good luck!

_B
Old 10-05-2016, 12:55 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingaway View Post
I feel that I need to have a handgun, not for a real need to defense or something like that, just think I need one in my life. So please do not get into politics or argue if I should have a gun or not. I just need some information. I am in Kentucky.

go to a gun shop that has a range and take a lesson from an instructor

if you don't and you use a semi, you can cut your hand pretty badly if you don't hold the pistol correctly

I have 2 glocks, a kahr p9 (for cc) and I used to have a springfield xd9 - the springfield was by far the most accurate
Old 10-05-2016, 01:06 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Please make sure you get yourself quality hearing protection as well as eye protection. And remember the 4 rules of gun safety:

• Every Gun Is Always Loaded
• Never Point the Gun at Anything You Are Not Prepared To Destroy
• Always Be Sure Of Your Target and What Is Behind It
• Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until You are Ready to Shoot
Old 10-05-2016, 01:10 PM   #17

Go to a sketchy part of town. Ask a couple people. Shouldn't take long.
Old 10-05-2016, 01:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel View Post
Please make sure you get yourself quality hearing protection as well as eye protection. And remember the 4 rules of gun safety:

• Every Gun Is Always Loaded
• Never Point the Gun at Anything You Are Not Prepared To Destroy
• Always Be Sure Of Your Target and What Is Behind It
• Keep Your Finger Off The Trigger Until You are Ready to Shoot
+1
and get NRA training if available
Old 10-05-2016, 01:14 PM   #19

This link will help you find training:
NRAInstructors.org - Portal for NRA Certified Instructors, NRA Education and Training
Old 10-05-2016, 01:35 PM   #20

Thanks for all the replies. Just found a local gun shop and range, the first training session is on this Friday.
Closed Thread