Join Early Retirement Today

How to sell used jewelry?
Old 06-24-2017, 05:26 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How to sell used jewelry?

I have a number of nice pieces of genuine gold/precious stone jewelry that I no longer wear. Rather than letting it sit in a drawer or safe deposit box, I thought I might see what I could get for it.

Has anyone done this? How should I go about this? Thanks for any ideas!
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2017, 05:53 AM   #2

I have sold a variety of different types of jewelry at a consignment shop. Locally, there is a Home Consignment center franchise that sells furniture and decorations, but also has a jewelry section. They take 40% of the sales price, but at least it gets sold.

The only other suggestion would be to take your jewelry to local jewelry shops and see if they would buy the pieces outright.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #3

You would be sad at the resale price of most jewelry, that being said, the gold usually has a melt down price, the MOST generous "we buy gold" usually pays 60-75 % of melt value, the smelters pay about 95 %. But the smelter im referring to is on 47th street in NYC in the Diamond district, and you need to be a dealer to go there. the stones sadly are usually worth a few dollars a piece, unless its a carat or more in size and its good quality. If you live in a large metropolitan area make a day of it, and go around to jewelry shops, pawn brokers and see what they will give you. Then decide if you want to try to sell it for more, or gift it to someone that used to admire it if its not worth much.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:29 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We downsized a few years ago. Part of the process was deciding what to do with various pieces of gold jewelry....some rings, a few single earings etc.

We happened to mention this to a small local jeweler when we took a ring in for repair. We decided to use his services. He sorted through the pieces and to identify 10, 14, 18, and 21 carat items. Plus he discarded the fakes. He sold the gold to a refiner in town. His cut was 10 percent. We plan to use his service again.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 07:39 AM   #5

I sold my mothers old jewelry in 2011 when gold was at its last peak.

This place US Gold Buyers was recommended by the Wall Street Journal and I was very happy with them. They paid something like 90% of the day's spot price (really!). I referred a couple of friends to them and they were also very pleased. They have been around a long time and they make it very easy as you can see from their website.

As mentioned above, the stones really aren't worth much if anything in most cases.

Something else to keep in mind if you do this: if you weigh your gold jewelry yourself at home, don't forget that it's not all gold. For example, 14 karat means it's only 14/24ths gold, or a bit over 58%. So take that into consideration when you estimate what you might get for it.
Old 06-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Have a jeweler make it into new jewelry. We did that with Mr. A.'s old wedding ring and some broken pieces of mine. The jeweler crafted a new ring for me that is still a favorite 25 years later....
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Have a jeweler make it into new jewelry. We did that with Mr. A.'s old wedding ring and some broken pieces of mine. The jeweler crafted a new ring for me that is still a favorite 25 years later....
+1
We took my wife's engagement ring from her late husband and a gold bracelet my late wife gave me and had it made into a beautiful pendant.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21373 Wave and Diamonds.jpg (59.2 KB, 34 views)
Souschef is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:20 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

That is GORGEOUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
+1
We took my wife's engagement ring from her late husband and a gold bracelet my late wife gave me and had it made into a beautiful pendant.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 06:11 PM   #9

Used jewelry is not easy to sell and does not bring good $$. I have done this locally working with jeweler that I cam to trust.
Old 06-24-2017, 09:01 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
+1
Very nice! And a lovely idea too.

Ha
Old 06-24-2017, 09:06 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Something else to keep in mind if you do this: if you weigh your gold jewelry yourself at home, don't forget that it's not all gold. For example, 14 karat means it's only 14/24ths gold, or a bit over 58%. So take that into consideration when you estimate what you might get for it.
Also, keep in mind that gold (or silver, etc.) is valued by the troy ounce, not the usual 16 oz to a pound we are used to. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troy_weight

Many gold buyers also use pennyweight which I believe is confusing to most folks, so insist they convert to troy ounces for you since that is what listed prices are typically quoted. Don't be afraid to shop around. For a hand full of old gold jewelry, you could easily be seeing a difference of a couple hundred dollars between lowest to highest offers.

Alternately, unless you need the money, throw the old jewelry into your safety deposit box and forget about it until the next big run-up in gold. It's not taking up the space of one dusty old book. YMMV

YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:14 PM   #12

I sold some pieces of jewelry with amethyst that I didn't care anymore, it was at gold peak time and I got $200. I still have some more that I want to get rid off but don't care to sell anymore at the moment.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 04:47 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Very nice! And a lovely idea too.

Ha

+1
Old 06-25-2017, 05:50 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

What about selling on e-Bay? I've bought a few small 14k items (charms for my charm bracelet, and the bracelet itself) as well as a platinum chain and and everything was as described. To me, the risk is mostly on the buyer, and you'd most likely get more than the "we buy gold" places offer.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 06:09 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveyoga View Post
Used jewelry is not easy to sell and does not bring good $$. I have done this locally working with jeweler that I came to trust.
I hate typos!
Old 06-25-2017, 08:06 AM   #16

If it's at least 20 years old you might try selling as Vintage on Etsy, but that does require taking really gorgeous photos, and waiting a long time for it to sell.
Aerides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:06 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I put mine in a local consignment shop and they only took a small cut. I also had 2 rings melted down and the jeweler designed me a new ring. When you sell you only get about a fifth of what you paid.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

A timely thread for me. Late DW had lots of the stuff, I have given away to the family a lot of it. Still have way too much. The options described so far are helpful. Thanks.
Old 06-26-2017, 07:26 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
What about selling on e-Bay? I've bought a few small 14k items (charms for my charm bracelet, and the bracelet itself) as well as a platinum chain and and everything was as described. To me, the risk is mostly on the buyer, and you'd most likely get more than the "we buy gold" places offer.
ebay & PayPal fees will run about 20%. A nice rule of thumb to consult as you shop "we buy gold" places, jewelry stores and consignment shops.

I sell smaller items on ebay, but have used a couple of local jewelers I trust for gold and larger silver pieces. Too time consuming to try to calculate what a gold ring is worth. The jewelers pay cash on the spot, and sometimes throw in a freebie (I got them to put a new battery in my watch one time-a free bracelet repair another time.) Keep that in mind if you are offering a large lot of jewelry.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 04:38 PM   #20

Thanks for all the ideas. I think I'll start with a couple of local jewelers and go from there.