Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2020, 11:15 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyS View Post
FWIW, I use a piece of 2x4. I chalk the outline so I know where to replace it after I kick it when moving about the garage when the car is out. I like being able to lift it out of the way to sweep, or the once-every-4-year big party.
That's what I use, a scrap piece of 2x4 in my third stall.

Also, if cars aren't kept in it, is it actually a garage?
jimbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2020, 11:23 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrald View Post
Tapcons are your best choice. Be careful when drilling the holes. You have to drill at least as deep as the tapcon or they will snap when installing. Using liquid nails or better yet construction adhesive will work (liquid nails may not last) but removing the adhesive later will be a pain. If you do end up using either of those, put a heavy weight on the piece after it's glued down for at least 24 hours. A 5 gallon bucket of water (about 44 pounds) should be enough. Pressure will help set the glue.

Tapcons can be removed and the holes filled very easily.

Also, after drilling, use compressed air to blow the dust out of the hole. I have not had good luck with Tapcons and avoid them unless there is no other solution. If the hole isn't perfect, the head snaps off and now you're screwed. (pun intended)
Old 02-07-2020, 12:14 PM   #43

I like the retracting tennis ball setup. I have the laser light setup. Only, my cars sit outside while I work on other hobbies inside the garage so neither the laser nor the tennis ball will work for me.
CRLLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:13 PM   #44

How about a tall safety cone? Pull forward till you bump the cone. Easy to move when you don't need it. Maybe tape or paint a spot on the floor so you know where to place it when you need it again.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Three-D-...5078/204182638
mountainsoft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:39 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Tkach-Enterpr...SIN=B073VVN92H

This is what I'm using. Stick it on the wall and drive in until you see alignment. Nothing on the garage floor to trip over.
Crap, I didn't even know I needed something in my garage to park....but just ordered one of these on Amazon. Sooooo easily influenced.
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 05:52 PM   #46

Re: The Park Ranger, I agree with the questioner below, even after reviewing the webpage in the answer. Very poor sales copy.

Quote:
Question:
More explanation please the instructions are vague and do not make sense - how about some photos or a video?

Answer:
The videos on this page (tkachenterprises.com/the-park-ranger/index.html) Park Ranger: Amazingly Simple Precision Parking Aid[/url] ) should answer your questions on use and installation.

By Tkach Enterprises Inc Seller on October 12, 2017
Wait...I didn't see any videos though. Now I have to open it in a browser that will let me see the video....

OK, seems simple now. I'd probably make one myself.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:47 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boho View Post
OK, seems simple now. I'd probably make one myself.
That was my thought, too. I was thinking plywood, but actually a little cardboard ...
Old 02-07-2020, 08:10 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
That was my thought, too. I was thinking plywood, but actually a little cardboard ...
You could use a hook like this, then you'll have an additional use for it.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Richelie...1195/301411971

Or just a line on the wall with something L or T shaped fastened to it.

Fasten a big L bracket to the wall then bend it to a 45 degree angle.
Boho is offline   Reply With Quote
How to Stick This to the Garage Floor?
Old 02-07-2020, 10:22 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

How to Stick This to the Garage Floor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I bought a laser that shines a dot onto the instrument panel. It is motion activated. It wasn’t expensive and no tripping.

I didn’t get any response on this post, but I tell ya, these things work great. You can park your car within a millimeter every time. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHGRWS8..._xoKpEbKMDK7Z0
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 03:09 AM   #50
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I didn’t get any response on this post, but I tell ya, these things work great. You can park your car within a millimeter every time. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HHGRWS8..._xoKpEbKMDK7Z0
I use the laser beam devices also. They work great. Back when I had 4 cars, I parked 2 cars back to back in a 3 car garage. I had only a few inches to spare between cars, between car and wall, between car and garage door. The laser beam made all that work.

But I think that OP's parking mat idea would work also - as long as the driver can "feel" the mat while driving on it so that they stop on the mat.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:17 AM   #51
Give me a forum ...

On my side I use a visual mark. For example, there is are shelving units, and I simply drive past the vertical corner, and make sure my passenger side mirror is a certain distance beyond.

On her side, I have an orange pig hanging from overhead. When windshield almost touches pig, you're good.
target2019 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:31 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

I have a small line on the wall of the garage out the side window where I need to stop the outfits. I just look out the side window to see when I'm even with the mark I'm where I need to be. Nothing on the floor no hanging strings with balls from the ceiling and works great.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:59 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2 View Post
Tennis ball from the ceiling for me.
The tennis ball method has worked well for us for nearly 30 years. With that approach I don't have anything on the floor that I'm going to stumble on when the car is out of the garage.

On Edit: Just watched the video on the retractable tennis ball. That's definitely a cool method! We have a two-bay garage. The tennis balls I installed are in fixed positions and do not move up/down/retract. Guess my approach is kinda boring but it works.

The tennis ball method very precisely locates the vehicle. We wanted the most room possible in front of our vehicles to allow for a limited shop space. I can tell when DW parks the vehicle too far into the garage. She likes to touch the ball then go another few inches. I just touch the ball and stop. Get the ball in the right position (for a given vehicle) and the stopping location is within fractions of an inch - repeatable every time.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:40 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Just watched the video on the retractable tennis ball. That's definitely a cool method! We have a two-bay garage. The tennis balls I installed are in fixed positions and do not move up/down/retract. Guess my approach is kinda boring but it works.
I thought that retracting tennis ball idea was cool too. Then, I realized that most often if I’m in the garage and doing something where I’d want the ball out of the way, that I’d most likely have the door open and the ball would be down (in the way). Oh well. I’ll stick with my fixed position indicator.
Old 02-08-2020, 07:58 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
... The tennis ball method very precisely locates the vehicle. We wanted the most room possible in front of our vehicles to allow for a limited shop space. I can tell when DW parks the vehicle too far into the garage. She likes to touch the ball then go another few inches. I just touch the ball and stop. Get the ball in the right position (for a given vehicle) and the stopping location is within fractions of an inch - repeatable every time.
If it makes you feel any better, my DW can't get it right either.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 04:51 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Here are just four of the aluminum-foil balls I have hanging for guidance.

Both vehicles are sometimes head in, sometimes back in, and I like to get them just right so that the kayak can drop into the truck, and the doors can open without steric hindrance.

This, however, is a common problem (and is the reason they are attached with a breakaway binding (the tape)):

I like the retracting tennis ball idea, but walking into them is not a problem.
Old 02-08-2020, 04:56 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
Both vehicles are sometimes head in, sometimes back in, and I like to get them just right so that the kayak can drop into the truck, and the doors can open without steric hindrance.
Well, that was a new one on me so I had to look it up.

Quote:
Steric hindrance is a consequence of steric effects. Steric hindrance is the slowing of chemical reactions due to steric bulk. It is usually manifested in intermolecular reactions, whereas discussion of steric effects often focus on intramolecular interactions. Steric hindrance is often exploited to control selectivity, such as slowing unwanted side-reactions.

Steric hindrance between adjacent groups can also affect torsional bond angles. Steric hindrance is responsible for the observed shape of rotaxanes and the low rates of racemization of 2,2'-disubstituted biphenyl and binaphthyl derivatives.
Boy, when you say you're particular about where to park your vehicles, you're not kidding!
Most of us aren't quite as fussy about a molecule's width here or there.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Most of us aren't quite as fussy about a molecule's width here or there.
Some of us are greatly concerned about torsional bond angles, even out in the garage.
Old 02-11-2020, 05:16 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by misanman View Post
https://www.amazon.com/Tkach-Enterpr...SIN=B073VVN92H

This is what I'm using. Stick it on the wall and drive in until you see alignment. Nothing on the garage floor to trip over.

Wouldn’t that be a different stopping point depending on who is driving? DW has the seat so far forward I can’t get in the car!
Old 02-12-2020, 08:16 AM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Idea

I just pick a spot on the wall next to me when I am parked in the perfect spot. Next time I pull in I turn my head 90 degrees and pull forward until I’m looking at the same spot. No spot? No problem. Use a small piece of tape.
Murph is offline   Reply With Quote