Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #41

From a post of mine in July. Available (special order) through Home Depot, which had the best price. Still very happy with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Just put down a new garage floor with this stuff.
Raised Coin Pattern PVC Tiles

Definitely in Blow That Dough territory, but available for less at other sites. This link is to the manufacturer. Very easy to install and I'm extremely pleased with it.

The previous owner had put some kind of epoxy coating on the garage floor which looked nice but was quite slippery when wet. As my balance is nowhere as good as it used to be, that scared me a little, so I wanted a nonslip surface.

All you need to install it is a rubber mallet, and most of the time not even that. The pieces interlock securely, and they have air channels on the bottom to eliminate condensation concerns. Also very easy to cut to fit the edges with just a regular utility knife.
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2020-07-12 at 2.09.50 PM.png (755.7 KB, 25 views)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-28-2020, 12:15 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What about dirt, peat moss, etc. from all my gardening and yard work? Won't that fall through the cracks between the tiles, and then get wet when the floor is cleaned?

EDIT: How did you deal with the garage walls? Did you need to buy edge trim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
From a post of mine in July. Available (special order) through Home Depot, which had the best price. Still very happy with it.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:25 PM   #43
Give me a forum ...

I am thinking the same thing. I really USE (read: dirty up) the garage. The car lives there, but lots else goes on in there as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbeadub View Post
I like the look of tiles, but all the edges between the tiles will hold dirt and let liquids seep underneath. All the raised nibs will make it harder to sweep. Depending on your situation they maybe well suited, for myself anything I'd put down would get damaged from dragging stuff around.
Old 09-28-2020, 12:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
What about dirt, peat moss, etc. from all my gardening and yard work? Won't that fall through the cracks between the tiles, and then get wet when the floor is cleaned?
Your usage may be different than mine, but I've found it extremely easy to keep it clean. I also like that there are channels under the tiles so air can circulate. That eliminates the chance of moisture building up, so no mold growth.

Quote:
How did you deal with the garage walls? Did you need to buy edge trim?
The installation instructions make that very clear. I only got enough trim for the garage door openings.
Old 09-28-2020, 02:28 PM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Amethyst,

Not if you opt for the highly-rated commercial-grade sheet flooring described in post #39 which looks identical to the gray tiles with the raised quarter-sized circles on them, shown in post #41.

Check it out. Satisfied users say it was a breeze to install.

Sand, being insidious, may easily lodge in all those spaces between the tiles. And think of all the water dripping off the cars after a drive in your wet summers.

omni
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 03:05 PM   #46

I'm partway through doing an epoxy coating in the garage as the OP had originally mentioned. It's also Rustoleum but a different product line (Rock Solid). My original intent had been to just fill a few cracks and paint the floor so it would be easy to squeegie off melted snow/slush in the winter. The more research I did the better the epoxy looked. (I never even considered tiles or a floor covering.) Then my neighbor, who is retired from a company that made and installed epoxy floor coatings for industrial applications got involved and made a few suggestions. So now I have a new hobby.

Today I acid-washed the 2nd half of the concrete floor and will let it dry overnight. Tomorrow I'll use a primer on the cracks I've filled and the hairline cracks that were too small to fill. On Thursday we'll put the coating down, complete with the "terrazzo" flakes. After that dries a few days I'll do a clear topcoat with a little grit mixed in so it won't be slippery. After that I'm not taking on any handyman jobs for a good long time!
Old 09-28-2020, 04:35 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

I seem to recall the Rustoleum epoxy kit we used in our last garage, had some kind of grit mixed in with it so it wouldn't be too slippery. The end result seemed to have enough traction.

I'd gladly use the same product again. My only issue is getting rid of the #$@! cheap sealer the previous owners used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by friar1610 View Post
I'm partway through doing an epoxy coating in the garage as the OP had originally mentioned. It's also Rustoleum but a different product line (Rock Solid). My original intent had been to just fill a few cracks and paint the floor so it would be easy to squeegie off melted snow/slush in the winter. The more research I did the better the epoxy looked. (I never even considered tiles or a floor covering.) Then my neighbor, who is retired from a company that made and installed epoxy floor coatings for industrial applications got involved and made a few suggestions. So now I have a new hobby.

Today I acid-washed the 2nd half of the concrete floor and will let it dry overnight. Tomorrow I'll use a primer on the cracks I've filled and the hairline cracks that were too small to fill. On Thursday we'll put the coating down, complete with the "terrazzo" flakes. After that dries a few days I'll do a clear topcoat with a little grit mixed in so it won't be slippery. After that I'm not taking on any handyman jobs for a good long time!
Old 10-06-2020, 03:49 PM   #48
Dryer sheet wannabe

Can't find out where I saw or heard about it, but I seem to recall some of the Pro's use a machine with ball bearings (like a sand blaster) to prepare the floor. Seems to me it would remove whatever is on the floor, and prep for the epoxy.

I prepped my concrete floor with 3 phases using a degreaser, then acid to etch, and then the Rustoleum. Used their "flakes" sold in a bag to add traction, otherwise it would have been extremely slippery. Happy with the results.
Scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:21 PM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarab View Post
... Used their "flakes" sold in a bag to add traction, otherwise it would have been extremely slippery. ...
++1 Yes. A flying club I used to belong to had a large hangar with a glossy painted floor. It looked beautiful, but when a thin layer of snow blew in it was like walking on ball bearings. When I say "thin" it was almost too thin to see. Pulling an airplane with a tow bar, usual practice, was almost impossible.
OldShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:46 PM   #50
Dryer sheet wannabe

I found the manufacturer, and an article about epoxy on the garage floor. If the floor has a sealer on it, here's where they are recommending a shot blaster. Of course they make the shot blaster. Find one for rent, or hire a pro who has one. This might be the best way to go if you don't want it to blister or peel.

https://www.jondon.com/how-to/techni...-flooring.html
Scarab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 05:48 PM   #51
Dryer sheet wannabe

Buy a few plastics tarps. Move everything outside and cover with tarps.

Rent a floor sander to get the bad off.

Next rinse the entire floor with 20% Muriatic Acid/80% water mixture. This isn't hard to work with and won't hurt your plants. Use a broom to push around solution and scrub it a little. The purpose of the acid is to etch the concrete so just getting acid on the surface is what you need to do.

Wash/rinse the floor with a hose.

Neutralize the acid by rinsing floor with TSP (Trisodium Phosphate). Push the TSP around with broom. This assures a clean surface.

Let it dry for a day. IT MUST BE 100% dry. If possible put fans in the room to move the air.

Paint per directions on the label.

I painted pools for a few years and never had any peeling paint issues following these steps. Buy a good quality roller frame and a few quality 1/2" nap covers. Get an extension pole for the roller so you can stand up and roll on the paint. The epoxy will harden up if you dilly dally so once you mix it be ready to work. You can extend the life of the epoxy by storing it in a refrigerator as you work.
Gary 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2020, 06:10 PM   #52

An update from post #46 above. Last Thursday my neighbor and I rollered on the epoxy coating. (This followed a very thorough preparation phase. Not to be gross, but this process is kinda like a colonoscopy. The preparation is the worst part.) We sprinkled on the "confetti" and let it cure. It was really bright and shiny! On Saturday we did the clear topcoat, also with rollers. It dried to the touch by Sunday morning but was not ready to walk on yet. It wasn't quite as shiny after the topcoat, due no doubt to the no-slip grit. Today I began putting stuff back in the garage. Tomorrow I will put the cars back in for the first time. I'm very happy with the way it looks but the true test will be what it looks like after a few New England winters with sand, road salt and other stuff getting on it.
Old 10-06-2020, 06:26 PM   #53
Full time employment: Posting here.

Our garage floor was in bad shape last year, we had a professional garage guy come in and fix all the cracks/chips, grind it down, then do a thick multi-step epoxy coating with the colored flakes and a good dose of grit in there for traction when wet.
More expensive than an epoxy "paint" but looks great and we don't worry about slipping.
Gearhead Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
concrete coating, concrete stripping, epoxy coating, garage floor, garage floor products