How to Tip In Every Situation

From what I understand, it's a tradeoff between good service and having to do rudimentary math OR variable service and not doing any math (math is a lame excuse IMO). I don't know about Australia or Japan, but I can tell you first hand the restaurant service in much of Europe can often be indifferent at best. Surly servers are not at all uncommon.

Though folks in bargain restaurants or counter service often work hard and make little, that's not the case for most servers. The minimum wage angle is mostly a red herring. I was a waiter in a mid-high end restaurant years ago, did my very best to make every diners experience as nice as possible, and made money hand over fist - easily as much as a degreed entry level engineer (from personal experience). Servers in middle and higher end restaurants make far more than minimum wage despite their hourly pay. They wouldn't do those jobs if the pay wasn't worth it.

But it's a debate with no end, or right answer. However, even if restaurants choose to build in tips as some major US markets have begun to implement, bad service will still have the same effect on the restaurant (complaints to management, or just never going back) - but the servers won't feel the pinch as quickly or directly. Since most people are afraid to complain, it could be harder for restaurant owners to catch on to bad servers.

+1
DH & I have spent a lot of time in the U.K. & Europe, and on average, we find service in the US to be much more accommodating and friendly. I would much rather tip and control the amount, hopefully motivating the server, than have service built into the price.

It's not that one sided or simple, but not worth another circular exchange...

Actually, it really is that simple. Millions of businesses operate every single day without a tip system. It's not like someone has to reinvent the wheel. No one tips at McDonald's or Burger King and they somehow manage to keep the doors open. I can't think of any reason why a steak restaurant can't do what McDonald's does...

Show me the gas station that the attendant gets 1 or 2 bucks just for pumping gas. Ill apply right now. Every one i know goes to the station thats 2 cents less per gallon.
The last time I saw a gas pumper was the last time I was in NJ - which was before I retired 6 years ago.

My husband often told me people in the UK take pride in their service. Tipping is considered demeaning to them. People take pride in their work unlike the USA.
When I worked in England for six months close to 20 years ago now, tipping was 10% at restaurants and for taxis, but that was about it. In rest of Europe, my experience is no tipping but round up a bill to nearest euro or 5 euro depending on bill's size; i.e., they don't like making change & appreciate the thought. I do see service charge lines on restaurant bills at times.

+1. My favorite countries to visit are Australia and Japan, neither of which expect tipping in normal commerce. I hope I live long enough to see the US go that way, but I'm not holding my breath...

No J experience, but agree on A. But they are real sticklers for details. Wanted ketchup with my burger & they charged 5 cents per little packet. Funny.

Visited A once & happy we did, but no need to go back. Not very unique or awe inspiring & too new to have any history of matter to me.

No J experience, but agree on A. But they are real sticklers for details. Wanted ketchup with my burger & they charged 5 cents per little packet. Funny.

Visited A once & happy we did, but no need to go back. Not very unique or awe inspiring & too new to have any history of matter to me.
My brother lived in Japan for 5 years and he's like my husband when it comes to tipping. What's that? So when he was dating girls in USA they had to tell him to tip.

Last edited:
Don't they have laws in Oregon and New Jersey that you can't pump your own gas?

Why can't Oregonians pump their own gas? Let us count the reasons | OregonLive.com

yep

still gas jockeys in Oregon. Although there may be a very slight crack recently. The voters have saidvery clearly no Sales tax (without dropping another tax) and no self serve gas

The last election I believe the voters allowed self serve in very remote areas. Where there might not be a station for hours in either direction.

This may be the camel's nose under the tent. The gas dealers have been on this for a long time. 40 years I'd guess

Actually, it really is that simple. Millions of businesses operate every single day without a tip system. It's not like someone has to reinvent the wheel. No one tips at McDonald's or Burger King and they somehow manage to keep the doors open. I can't think of any reason why a steak restaurant can't do what McDonald's does...
Implementing the change is just one aspect that's not simple. If it's so easy, why haven't a significant number of tip established restaurants eliminated tipping already? The few who have are high end restaurants with well established reputations where customers are clearly less price sensitive. The example I linked was a celebrity chef who eliminated tipping at lunch only, not dinner. Doesn't sound easy...

It will be interesting to see what happens in the NYC area when the minimum wage goes to $15 soon with no lower wage for tipped employees. Or what is happening in Seattle now. at $15 for a waiter its not clear that tips are needed in any case perhaps a case to go back to the 50 year old rule of 10%.

Implementing the change is just one aspect that's not simple. If it's so easy, why haven't a significant number of tip established restaurants eliminated tipping already?

Because they benefit from the tip culture. If it hurt their bottom line, you can guarantee that most restaurants would have a "no tip" policy.

Getting off airplane and taking a taxi to arrive at my hotel, I tip the taxi driver, then I tip the door man, the man carrying my luggage to my room, the maid cleaning my room, the waitress at the dinner table, and so on. I don't carry much cash these days.

The problem gets worse. When I was in Europe, they expected me to pay tips at restaurants. Maybe I should improve my Spanish so that I could pretend that I am not an American.

Because they benefit from the tip culture. If it hurt their bottom line, you can guarantee that most restaurants would have a "no tip" policy.
Evidently you're oblivious to how hard it is to actually change the status quo. And you believe servers are all victims/good guys and "restaurants" (owners/management) are all the greedy/uncaring/bad guys.

And you said it wouldn't make any difference to their bottom line. It's simple!
Sure, prices have to go up if there is no tipping, but I see very little difference between a $20 meal and a $5 tip or a $25 meal with no tip.

Last edited:
I don't get the tipping at the places where you place an order at the counter, they give you a cup (so you have to get your own drink), you get your own napkins, and they have a tray section at the garbage can where you pick up your own trash.

And yet when you pay with a credit card, it has a tip section.

I don't get the tipping at the places where you place an order at the counter, they give you a cup (so you have to get your own drink), you get your own napkins, and they have a tray section at the garbage can where you pick up your own trash.

Agree and ditto with take out. Screw that.

Dont' get me started on the counter service place known for it's bread......

Don't like bussing my own table, but feel guilty when I don't. Had lunch there yesterday and spent >$10/person:mad:. Only buy coffee when on my own, it's indulging my kids that kills the wallet. Need to work on acclimating them to Waffle House ;)

I know a server in a $5 breakfast special restaurant that worked 3 days a week and made $10,000 in earnings plus $30,000 in tips. $1,000 was declared as income and the remaining $29,000 was tax free...

That my have been true years ago, but not now. The restaurant is mandated by IRS rules to take out based on the assumption that the server made 15% of the bill. The server usually tips the busboy, dishwasher and bartender out of the tip you leave.

That my have been true years ago, but not now. The restaurant is mandated by IRS rules to take out based on the assumption that the server made 15% of the bill. The server usually tips the busboy, dishwasher and bartender out of the tip you leave.

I've fact this as fact in many places, that multiple people are tipped..does anyone have firsthand knowledge of how much per hour dishwashers and bartender are paid? I'm thinking the server must keep the vast majority of the tip.

.....all these guides to tipping written by the folks receiving the tips!

How about a guide to pay rates for counter people at fast food restaurants? I read one and it said $75/hr. Sounds about right, they work hard!

People should just have an awareness of what wages are for service folks and tip appropriately based on what they want to tip and service quality provided.
I will tip 30 percent at Dennys, but frankly at a high end restaurant, i frequently only tip 15 percent esp if there is a large bar and wine tab in the bill. What is 20 percent of $7 or a $1.40 ok, but 15 percent of $100 or $15 is low? The latter is more work, but not 10x the work.

And frankly i take a dim view of the trend to think that tips are somewhat obligatory in industries where tips are not a long time tradition, or the wages paid are low specifically because tips are expected. At these places i tip if someone does something extraordinary as a favor.

That sums it up for me...no way I'd ever tip someone who already earns good money, often more than I ever made when working. Wait staff earning minimum wage get tips, contractors and other well paid people don't get a tip.
Tipping is actually not determined by compensation. It is based on personalized service and tradition. Thus it is not necessary to try to determine someone's compensation in order to determine the tip.

Fast food counter help are low paid but generally not tipped, for example. Same with grocery store cashiers for example.

You do see tip jars everywhere.

Why on earth would we tip a furniture delivery person, a gas station attendent, or a contractor.

Tipping in the America is definately out of control.

Not long ago we got a note from Marriott about tipping the maids. No thanks. Why should I pay extra Marriott....pay your staff properly. We have been to a few hotels where they actually leave envelopes out for customers to leave tips. We don't.

No issue to tip for above and beyond service but we have no intention of tipping someone for doing their job.

Back
Top Bottom