Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-16-2017, 09:08 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I don't care about tradition. I will grudgingly tip wait staff who are unfairly paid, but people who earn a good living don't get tips from me.
Well, ok. So maybe it is a new tradition: tip only those people who you think are "unfairly paid". And presumably that tip will be based on a stopwatch, not a percentage of the check? Otherwise you might be "overpaying" them. And what about the other people that are tipping them at same time. Seems needlessly complicated.
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 10:31 PM   #82
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
We took a cab from downtown to the airport in Guadalajara, and the guy drove like a madman. DW was crouched in the back seat like Lady Di. We asked him several times to slow down. Needless to say, he got no tip. (the trip price was fixed so no benefit to us to get there quicker.)
I thought cabbies were not tipped in Mexico.
Sunnymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 08:51 AM   #83
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Why on earth would we tip a furniture delivery person, a gas station attendent, or a contractor.

+1

I have never tipped any of these people, and I have never gotten the impression that a tip was expected.
uncaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #84
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnymar View Post
I thought cabbies were not tipped in Mexico.
Not as a rule unless they are doing something special beyond driving. We were going to Fedex at the airport and might have paid him to wait for our return trip.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:43 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
Why on earth would we tip a furniture delivery person, a gas station attendent, or a contractor.

Tipping in the America is definately out of control.

Not long ago we got a note from Marriott about tipping the maids. No thanks. Why should I pay extra Marriott....pay your staff properly. We have been to a few hotels where they actually leave envelopes out for customers to leave tips. We don't.

No issue to tip for above and beyond service but we have no intention of tipping someone for doing their job.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncaD View Post
+1

I have never tipped any of these people, and I have never gotten the impression that a tip was expected.
I wouldn't ordinarily tip many of the trades on the original list either. But as brett noted, and you snipped it out, why wouldn't you tip anyone who provides a product or service if they clearly go way above and beyond your expectations and/or somehow save you a bunch of money? Tipping someone who's gone way beyond expectations is more satisfying to me if they don't expect a tip. Of course we're all free to never tip no matter what as some here evidently have, but I would never say never. People have gone way beyond for DW and I on occasion, and we choose to show our appreciation with a tip sometimes. YMMV

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 10:18 AM   #86
Give me a forum ...

My father gave out two good tips...

...don't eat yellow snow

...be kind to your mother

For many, that is all that they deserve or are entitled to. Not certain why Norh Americans get so concerned about tipping and the proper amounts.
brett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:28 AM   #87
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

List looks reasonable to me. I enjoy tipping(really). I view it as helping out the less fortunate. They missed car jockies? $5.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #88
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
I wouldn't ordinarily tip many of the trades on the original list either. But as brett noted, and you snipped it out, why wouldn't you tip anyone who provides a product or service if they clearly go way above and beyond your expectations and/or somehow save you a bunch of money? Tipping someone who's gone way beyond expectations is more satisfying to me if they don't expect a tip. Of course we're all free to never tip no matter what as some here evidently have, but I would never say never. People have gone way beyond for DW and I on occasion, and we choose to show our appreciation with a tip sometimes. YMMV
I didn't say I would never tip them, just that I have never tipped them. That said, though, for these three particular examples I think it would be unlikely that I would encounter a situation in which I would think a tip would be warranted. Not impossible, just unlikely.
Old 07-17-2017, 11:47 AM   #89
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Quote:
I didn't say I would never tip them, just that I have never tipped them. That said, though, for these three particular examples I think it would be unlikely that I would encounter a situation in which I would think a tip would be warranted. Not impossible, just unlikely.
Also, to your point, tipping tradespeople for going "way beyond" is different from tipping them as a matter of course, as you would a server in a restaurant or a taxi driver, which is what I think was the implication of the original post.
Old 07-17-2017, 12:39 PM   #90
Give me a forum ...

I lived in the UK for 3 years. Everyone appreciated tips. They didn't expect them, and they were happy with small ones, but they were happy. I still recall the two young men who helped us move in. I had been advised beforehand to give them very small tips, like 5 pounds (about $10 U.S. back then) but I gave them 10 pounds apiece because they worked hard and were nice. They were counting the notes and grinning like mad when they left. They could hear the pub calling!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fedup View Post
We already pay $75 to $100 for delivery. It's not free.
My husband often told me people in the UK take pride in their service. Tipping is considered demeaning to them. People take pride in their work unlike the USA.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:41 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

I hope I don't have to tip the UPS and Fedex delivery people. I order so much online. Besides, they usually ring the bell or knock and run away before I can get pants on and open the door.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:53 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Also, to your point, tipping tradespeople for going "way beyond" is different from tipping them as a matter of course, as you would a server in a restaurant or a taxi driver, which is what I think was the implication of the original post.
You said you "have never tipped" any of the trades listed, and you snipped out Brett's mention of above and beyond. You made no further distinction regarding way beyond vs matter of course, or what you might do in the future. Now you've amended your POV. Fine and dandy.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:58 PM   #93
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Disagree with these.

Contractors: $30 for staff; $50 for the lead worker.
Counter servers: 15% of the bill.
Furniture delivery: From $5 to $20 per person.
Gas station attendant: $1 to $2 for pumping gas.
Massage therapist: 10% to 20%.
Movers: $10 to $20 per person for a small move; $20 to $50 for a bigger job.

Concerning Counter servers.
If I ordered from pizza hut online & carried out, I'm supposed to tip the counter person ?
Old 07-17-2017, 01:08 PM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This confuses me about tradespeople and the saving you a bunch of money. I get someone to give me a quote for remodeling my bathroom. I hire them, they do a great job in a timely manner and I am very happy. Whenever someone talks about hiring for a remodel I say "Hire X he's a great worker and got done on budget and on time, you can't go wrong". Should I give this person extra money (tip) in my mind No.

Mr X is being professional and should make enough money for himself off his original bid.

I hire someone who is sloppy, drags out my timeline and keeps adding costs onto my project...I would tell people don't hire him he's incompetent. That's how the trades have worked for decades and I don't understand tipping in that regard. Where does it end?
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:45 PM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montecfo View Post
Well, ok. So maybe it is a new tradition: tip only those people who you think are "unfairly paid". And presumably that tip will be based on a stopwatch, not a percentage of the check? Otherwise you might be "overpaying" them. And what about the other people that are tipping them at same time. Seems needlessly complicated.
I don't have any complications...underpaid servers are grudgingly tipped, but anyone who bids on a job gets exactly what they bid and no more.

The only time I paid extra to a contractor was when I had some carpet installed, and it was because they did something beyond the scope of the original job. I had just bought a piece of carpet on my own and needed a 3' seam done in a doorway. So, it wasn't really a tip...I asked the guy if he could make a seam for me and said that I would pay him because it wasn't part of the original job. He wanted $10 but I gave him $20 because he not only did the seam, but cleaned up the edges and even stretched it.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:19 PM   #96
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
You said you "have never tipped" any of the trades listed, and you snipped out Brett's mention of above and beyond. You made no further distinction regarding way beyond vs matter of course, or what you might do in the future. Now you've amended your POV. Fine and dandy.
Sorry, but I think we're kind of talking past each other here. Just going to leave it at that.
Old 07-17-2017, 05:49 PM   #97
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
When I come from the airport, I always tip the taxi driver who helps with the bags. I also pay him in cash because I know he has to pay 8% for the CC and wait 2 weeks for his money. I was a supplier to taxi companies.

When we split the bill in a restaurant. I tip 20-25% if the service has been exceptional. I always get a Thank you Mr XXX when leaving. Often a smile and a handshake is also involved.

My son worked as a server is a restaurant/bar to help put himself through college. When he graduated, the best job offer was $36k so he kept working part time for his $56K as a server with tips. (This was 20 years ago.) Then he arranged to get transferred to take the job and keep his part-time job. He paid off his car and the down payment for a house before quitting that job. I had to admire the kid. So I have a soft spot for servers.

In middle school, he worked at a meat shop and we got 15% off everything he bought for us on his account.

I enjoy tipping when deserved and especially when not expected.