How to Tip In Every Situation

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We've probably debated this topic more than enough, and I'm not sure I agree with all of it, so just a recent tipping guide. I couldn't link directly, it's from an article from Mic on Apple News today.

Mic on Apple News said:
Here are some suggestions on what amount of money (and whom) you should tip, according to tipping.org:
  • Bartender: 10% to 15% of the bar bill, or at least $1 for inexpensive drinks.
  • Bellhop: $10 for delivering luggage; $5 for opening and showing you the room.
  • Cab (taxi or ride-sharing) driver: 15% of fare.
  • Concierge: Up to $10.
  • Contractors: $30 for staff; $50 for the lead worker.
  • Counter servers: 15% of the bill, or at least $1 for very small orders.
  • Food servers: 15% to 20% of the bill.
  • Furniture delivery: From $5 to $20 per person, depending on the job.
  • Gas station attendant: $1 to $2 for pumping gas and $5 for other services.
  • Hair stylist: 15% of bill.
  • Hotel maid: Up to $10 per day, depending upon your stay.
  • Manicurist: $1 or more (depending on cost); $5 to $10 for a pricier job.
  • Massage therapist: 10% to 20%.
  • Movers: $10 to $20 per person for a small move; $20 to $50 for a bigger job.
  • Pizza delivery: Up to $5 depending upon order and distance.
  • Shampooer in hair salon: $1 to $2.
  • Tattoo artist: No tip is required, but some leave up to $50 or more, depending upon the complexity of the work and cost of the tattoo.
see more here https://mic.com/articles/181848/how...drivers-movers-and-at-a-restaurant#.7GArSi3Jt
Mod note - edited to comply with copyright regs

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope to be old and grey enough some day to still be travelling and actually need the services of a bell hop.

Show me the gas station that the attendant gets 1 or 2 bucks just for pumping gas. Ill apply right now. Every one i know goes to the station thats 2 cents less per gallon.

Me either, I give 'em 10%

Think this is biased to the Northeast, and might make sense there. Think excluding the FedEx/UPS people is an oversight, or the author never interacts with them.

In the Sunbelt, the idea of tipping people like contractors and their labor wouldn't occur to anyone. Same with FedEx/UPS. Had a customer in the NYC area who was shocked I didn't give a year-end tip to the FedEx guy who threw envelopes over the locked gate

DW & I worked for a few years in the service industry, so we understand the whole concept of tipping.

Thoughts:
It has gotten out of hand. Tip jars on every take out joint in town. 50 year olds' with "summer college fund jars" at the beach etc. Just wrong. Had guys put in a AC system walking out the door like I'm supposed to slip them a few buck for their effort. Come on; you screwed up the job, took longer than supposed to and left job debris all over my attic and you want me to slip you... what an extra $50 a guy? Get bent!!.

Another gripe...Dog groomers. Lets get real here you're earning close to $90K a year on an hourly basis for cutting the dogs hair and you want me to kick it up a notch??

Final one...Buying groceries or attending the movies. I'm hear to feed or entertain myself not enhance your PR by bundling my donations to the XXX fund. Stop asking me, and please say have a "Happy 4th of July" not "have a good holiday". This PC is way to far.

We just took a cab recently from LAX to my kid's apartment, the fare was $20, I gave $30, the guy didn't mention any change to give back, I thought that was weird, but I waited until the luggage was out, he thanked me without mentioning of giving back any change. So I had to chime in and said to give me back $5. If I knew I only had to give 15%, I would ask for more.

Think this is biased to the Northeast, and might make sense there. Think excluding the FedEx/UPS people is an oversight, or the author never interacts with them.

In the Sunbelt, the idea of tipping people like contractors and their labor wouldn't occur to anyone. Same with FedEx/UPS. Had a customer in the NYC area who was shocked I didn't give a year-end tip to the FedEx guy who threw envelopes over the locked gate

I'm in the Northeast and I am not tipping the Fedex/UPS guy nor the contractors I hire.

I just got back from place watching some friends play in a band. Had dinner and a few drinks. The waitress was friendly, cordial and attentive. The bill was around $30, so I tipped 25%.

My rule of thumb is a high percentage for low cost and high service. As price goes up, the percentage goes down (a little). Never under 15% unless service was terrible (not very common).

On a side note: DW got an email from her credit card the other day. They commented that a recent tip looked high and maybe she made a mistake. The tip was about 35% on a small tab. No mistake. Good service, and the waitress was also a friend. A little too intrusive for me, but I guess it is to stop someone from altering the tip.

My kids determine the tip for us at a high price restaurant and make sure we did the addition correctly. We're just the Credit card. I remember the tip for the Lobster was $100 for 2 hours.

I was just glad to see this:

Movers: $10 to $20 per person for a small move; $20 to $50 for a bigger job.

I would call our move a medium move but it was on one of the hottest days of the summer. I gave each guy $50. The bill was $700 and for three guys the $150 turns out to be just over 20%, which wasn't on my mind at the time. Anyway, afterwards, I felt like a maybe should have gave them each a C note. Anyway, if $50 is good for a bigger job, hopefully they felt okay about the tip.

Seriously though, it was one of those times where my wife and I looked at each other and asked "do we tip these guys?". The decision came down to how hard they ended up working due to the heat, I had to give them something. And yes, they did a good job.

I would call our move a medium move but it was on one of the hottest days of the summer. I gave each guy $50. The bill was $700 and for three guys the $150 turns out to be just over 20%, which wasn't on my mind at the time. Anyway, afterwards, I felt like a maybe should have gave them each a C note. Anyway, if $50 is good for a bigger job, hopefully they felt okay about the tip.

Seriously though, it was one of those times where my wife and I looked at each other and asked "do we tip these guys?". The decision came down to how hard they ended up working due to the heat, I had to give them something. And yes, they did a good job.

When you compare the effort needed to get $x in tips, think bellhop dragging your suitcase and opening the door an easy $15 taking about 10 minutes. (according to rules above).
Guy carrying your moving boxes, for 2 hours is getting ripped off (according to rules above).

My bill was $500 and I tipped $50 each for 3 guys. Total $150 for 5 hours. They came early in the morning like 7 and left about 1:00pm. It was like a nice steak lunch for them.

But my husband doesn't tip any delivery guy. He is from the UK. Tipping is a foreign concept to him.

But my husband doesn't tip any delivery guy. He is from the UK. Tipping is a foreign concept to him.

What, people are expected to do their job without being greased in the palm, and employers are expected to pay the full wage needed to attract folks to take the job ??

Soon it will be like the old days, when the firemen came to the house on fire, you will need to tip them before they put out the fire, or at least agree on the tip you will provide. That is how it was.

I went to an unfamiliar Dunkin Donut shop. I had a young college age student at a s greet me, call me Sir, hand me napkins, tell me it was a pleasure to serve me and please come again. I was so impressed, I still had my change in my hand and I asked him where was his tip cup? He said "we dont have one, and we are not allowed to accept anything ,but thank you Sir for the kind offer, and we appreciate your patronage.". And he smiled, and then said next. Some how the coffee and the donuts tasted better that night. Then on the flip side I go to McDonalds and I have to beg them for Ketchup. Maybe its the By One Get One Free coupon I use that turns them off. Hahaha

What, people are expected to do their job without being greased in the palm, and employers are expected to pay the full wage needed to attract folks to take the job ??

Soon it will be like the old days, when the firemen came to the house on fire, you will need to tip them before they put out the fire, or at least agree on the tip you will provide. That is how it was.

We already pay $75 to $100 for delivery. It's not free.
My husband often told me people in the UK take pride in their service. Tipping is considered demeaning to them. People take pride in their work unlike the USA.

Last edited:

So, some service people love this type of thinking IMO. When you are a mover you expect to work on hot and/or cold days depending on the climate. It's part of your working conditions.You paid them to do it so you wouldn't have to do it and now you are worried if they felt "OK" about the generous tip you did give them. Why should the fact is was a hot day determine the size of the tip.If they were meticulous packers and took extra care with your belongings, that's one thing, but based on weather conditons?

Am I the only one who thought you didn't need to tip service people you call to the house? It just wasn't part of my parents' culture and I never did it either. I always tip cab drivers, waitresses, and pizza guys but not plumbers, g AC installers, room addition contractors, etc.

Do I need to change my practices? I am not asking if I have to tip only if it is really expected. In other words, is failing to tip the plumber equivalent to stiffing a waitress?

Am I the only one who thought you didn't need to tip service people you call to the house? It just wasn't part of my parents' culture and I never did it either. I always tip cab drivers, waitresses, and pizza guys but not plumbers, g AC installers, room addition contractors, etc.

Do I need to change my practices? I am not asking if I have to tip only if it is really expected. In other words, is failing to tip the plumber equivalent to stiffing a waitress?
It's an exception for me, but I am prepared to tip or do something unexpected (?) if they do anything above and beyond what I expected.

I tipped a kitchen remodel contractor $100 after two weeks work because he clearly worked with me to avoid extra costs, allowed me to chip in sweat equity overnight a few times in exchange for extras/mods. He could've just refused and insisted on extra charges. He acted surprised, even refused it at first, so it must be unusual or he was a good actor. I offered him food and drink during the project but he always brought his own, so I resorted to cash at the end.

Or if someone who quickly comes out off hours to replace a water heater, charge AC or the like, and does a good job and is pleasant - I'll tip them another $10-20. Yes, I know they're getting OT unless they own the business (a few times it's been the owner), but they're still taking time away from their family or other activities to help us out. They don't have to answer the phone.

If it's an all day job, I'll have something for them to drink (cold if it's hot out), or even buy lunch if DW is home too (so one of us can go out). Landscapers, movers, one day contractors.

Last edited:
I usually only tip at a restaurant and the size is very dependent on the quality of service received. Sometimes I'll tip for other type of service for better than expected service. Monday we took our grand girls on a private tour of a local wildlife place and tipped the driver since we felt she was very caring that our young girls had a great time.
But what about if a service guy asks you to pay cash? I'll do that if and only if they give me a discount. If they receive cash you can bet that isn't being reported to the tax guy so he's saving money.

Holy bajeezus that's a long and complex list. What if managers started determining the compensation for their employees and simply charge us a pre-arranged price for providing goods and services? In the meantime I'll probably continue to tip too little sometimes and too much other times since I don't particularly care to memorize this list :)

I follow the same practices as you do. Have never tipped a plumber, contractor or anyone coming to our home to work on something other than our housekeepers. They get a tip at Christmas.

Back
Top Bottom