How to transfer cell phone book

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
We have new cell phones - now the problem of transferring phone directory numbers from one to the other. Verizon has an app but it's not compatible with our obsolete phones. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

No, but thank you for reminding me. I just erased the work-related phone numbers from my cell phone directory, so now I just have seven numbers left. When I get my next cell phone, I'll jot them down and re-enter them on the new phone.

Sometimes this involves exporting one to a file and importing that file to another. It all depends on the details. The more of that information that's in the "cloud" (a web servier somewhere) the better.

One alternative is to use something like Google contacs - there are built-in schemes to cover a lot of formats. You might want to post more details about the types of phones involved.

We have new cell phones - now the problem of transferring phone directory numbers from one to the other. Verizon has an app but it's not compatible with our obsolete phones. Does anyone know of a way to do this?

Yes. Here's what I did. I walked into the local Verizon shop and asked the techie if she could do it for me. They normally charge a few bucks for ths, but was my ever-pleasant self ("we're really happy with our Verizon service, you guys are great. I like the new phone, bt could use a little help on something. You guys are so conveniently located!") and they did it for free in a couple minutes. I real didn't want to try to do it myself and lose all my contacts. And, though my time is cheap, it is worth something.

Yes. Here's what I did. I walked into the local Verizon shop and asked the techie if she could do it for me. They normally charge a few bucks for ths, but was my ever-pleasant self ("we're really happy with our Verizon service, you guys are great. I like the new phone, bt could use a little help on something. You guys are so conveniently located!") and they did it for free in a couple minutes. I real didn't want to try to do it myself and lose all my contacts. And, though my time is cheap, it is worth something.

That's EXACTLY what I did too! Went to Verizon during a slow period so I wasn't competing with tons of other customers...and was pleasant to the clerk. Usually costs $10 to transfer contacts, according to the chart on the wall. My cost: -0-

(I did buy a mini-SD card online for my new phone and now store my contacts on it. Much easier to move when I get my next new phone.)

Do the phones have SIM cards? Usually a little card under the battery. You could have one w/o knowing it.

If so, you can usually save contacts to the SIM, and the new phone can read those.

-ERD50

Thanks for the responses. Verizon store declined to help pro bono - business must be good. I decided to buy a SW product DataPilot Cell Phone Mobile Sync Software & Data Cables (only $25 - about the charge verizon wanted) which seems to do all that I need and also some nice to have but "I never knew I needed" features. I'll give it a go and update in a couple of days.

Back
Top Bottom