Join Early Retirement Today

Old 04-13-2008, 12:14 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Went back to Managing Your Money ver.12 (FOR DOS!!!)
walt..COOL! Yes, I long for the stripped-down, faster, essential approaches of many old Mac (and PC) programs. That's why I can never fully divest myself of old computers. Each one has a SINGLE app that's "obsolete" yet still functional and near and dear to my heart.

To paraphrase Dr. Johnson.. having a 80Mb hard disk and 4Mb of ram "concentrates the mind wonderfully."
ladelfina is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2008, 03:32 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have to say I've reached the point with Quicken that I am aware of most of the bugs in my version, and am able to live with them. I'm always amazed at how a major product can have such major bugs, but right now it's working for me. Doesn't mean I don't hate it.

A good example: every time I download data from my normal checking account, I know that it will match the interest (typically 11 cents), with some interest payment from years ago. Doesn't matter that the dates are wrong, and it's already cleared, Quicken still does it. I know to fix this each time it happens.

Another example: If I save a report, but not to a folder, it will not appear in the list.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:59 PM   #23

T Al.. I feel your pain, but have not reached your zen transcendency.

The minor "bugs" you declaim, to me, are UTTERLY INEXCUSABLE in an accounting software. I don't care if it's eleven cents or one cent...!!! WHat the hell are computers for if not to compute things with accuracy?

Cue "the restaurant/dirty fork" sketch!

"GASton!.. SACK the entire washing-up staff!"

"to me [$0.11] is like a mountain.. a VAST BOWL OF PUS!"

"the WOUND!"

"It's THE END!"

T Al, say nothing about the dirty knife.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:03 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltwill8 View Post
Went back to Managing Your Money ver.12 (FOR DOS!!!)
And here I thought I was the only one. I didn't go back quite that far, but still using Quicken 99, and only bought that for the Y2K upgrade.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:14 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladelfina View Post
I'm always amazed at how Quicken consistently seems to take one step forward and 2 steps back. I used to think the pain was only on the Mac side.
I only use Quicken because of the lack of full-featured alternatives. I do like the downloading of transactions.
With all the money they extort from people yearly, you'd think over the course of, what is it? more than TWENTY years now?.. they'd be able to provide a stable product that is a pleasure to use. If I were the CEO or product manager I would be sorely embarrassed. They are also very vague and shifty about WHICH features are really in the product and WHAT exactly the changes are from version to version.
To be fair, you could replace the word Quicken with the words "Windows XP", "Microsoft Excel", "flight avionics", or "fire control system" with much the same result... but that doesn't make it right. Just a symptom of the software process in general.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #26

Sure!! I wonder how much, though, is "software" and how much is the far more dreadful "marketing".