Join Early Retirement Today

Human Interest Story
Old 12-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Human Interest Story

TV forecaster

Ha
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2010, 10:06 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I knew a retired judge who got caught shoplifting. It was all over the press and of course was the talk of the lawyer community. His entire reputation was destroyed and until he died he was known as being nuts. It was painful to watch. His wife had a meltdown shortly after this event. She could not get out of a tight parking space and ended up just banging into the cars in front and behind her until they were moved enough for her to get out of the spot. So she was also the talk of the town. Their daughter was a lawyer. She moved away.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:08 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha View Post
She wasted the police's time and now she is screwed in her career and as a public person is shamed for all to see.
Indeed, in terms of being a career-killer today, I don't know what was worse -- filing the false report or blaming a "non-crime" on a racial minority. Now she's going to carry the baggage of the "racist" label that she wouldn't have if she blamed a white guy. And that baggage will make her far less employable.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Now she's going to carry the baggage of the "racist" label that she wouldn't have if she blamed a white guy. And that baggage will make her far less employable.
That unhappy angle also occurred to me.

Similar to Martha's story, this one does illustrate that one's public persona is sometimes a very incomplete picture of what is going on underneath-especially I think if a job or social position is thought to require a certain type of public face.

One other thing that also occurred to me- how much stress might there be in going on TV day after day in a tight dress, with perfect makeup, a big smile, etc? She is probably at least as susceptible as anyone else to blue days, sleepless nights, hangovers, bloat days, boyfriend troubles, etc..

I do think that this kind of false accusation has to be nipped and definitely not whitewashed, even though it is easy to feel empathy with these troubled people.

Although I am not as swept off my feet by retirement as some are, it sure beats what many workers face every day.

Ha
Old 12-16-2010, 10:25 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
One other thing that also occurred to me- how much stress might there be in going on TV day after day in a tight dress, with perfect makeup, a big smile, etc? She is probably at least as susceptible as anyone else to blue days, sleepless nights, hangovers, bloat days, boyfriend troubles, etc..
Not to mention that such a person is likely to have more than their fair share of creeps and stalkers harassing them.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:17 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
Not to mention that such a person is likely to have more than their fair share of creeps and stalkers harassing them.
I only called a couple of times...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 02:49 PM   #7
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggy29 View Post
And any one of them could be very dangerous, as happened to a very pretty well known BBC news reader, Jill Dando.

I think high profile television personalities have a lot to deal with in their private lives.

Quote:
On the morning of 26 April 1999, Dando left the Chiswick home of her fiancé, Dr. Alan Farthing. She returned alone, by car, to the house she owned in Gowan Avenue, Fulham, West London. She had lived in the house, but by April 1999 was in the process of selling it and did not visit it regularly. As Dando reached her front door at about 11:32, she was shot once in the head. Her body was discovered about 14 minutes later by neighbour Helen Doble. Police were called at 11:47. Dando was taken to the nearby Charing Cross Hospital where she was declared dead on arrival at 13:03 BST. She was 37 years old.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:04 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

This was an interesting way to go. Newsreaders should stick to the teleprompter.

Tex Antoine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Rape quip and final years

On November 24, 1976, his weather spot came up just after a report of a violent rape of a five year old girl. Tex, who had only been aware of the topic of the report, and not the fact that a child was involved, thereupon quipped: "With rape so predominant in the news lately, it is well to remember the words of Confucius: 'If rape is inevitable, lie back and enjoy it.'" (The same joke later helped derail Texas gubernatorial candidate Clayton Williams' 1990 election bid and got Indiana University Basketball coach Bob Knight in trouble during an interview with Connie Chung in 1988). Roger Grimsby led the 11 p.m. newscast that night with the official apology from WABC. Five days later Grimsby would introduce Antoine's replacement, Storm Field, with "Lie back, relax and enjoy the weather with Storm Field." Antoine closed out his career with a brief stint as weatherman for WNEW-TV in 1977.