Join Early Retirement Today

Humidifier Recommendation
Old 12-07-2006, 09:16 AM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Humidifier Recommendation

It's that time again here in Minnesota whence humidity has gone south to Mexico with the geese.
I have used humidifiers before and end up with ghastly mold that looks life threatening.

I need a recommendation on what you have found to be the best solution to this issue besides running showers most of the day

TIA
Danny is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Humidifier Recommendation
Old 12-07-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Where is the mold? In the humidifier?

We use a big humidifier that has a fan that blows air through a thick filter. We add something to the water ( ) that is supposed to prevent bacteria from forming. http://www.iallergy.com/product131/product_info.html It seems to work fine with no mold problems either. I throw out the filters every couple of years because they are about impossible to clean. But the dirt on the filters tends to me just sediment from the water.

The brand we use is a Bemis which was highly rated when we bought it.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 09:39 AM   #3

What Martha is talking about is a room humidifier. We actually use it quite a bit in the winter. We keep it in the living room, close the pocket doors so that the wet stays somewhat in the room, then let it rip all day--until we sit down in the evening to read or watch TV. Then I turn it off because I can't stand the fan noise. Works fairly well for us. And would probably work better if the house was less leaky and drafty.

Martha still has a few problems though. Her skin gets far itchier than mine in the winter. We haven't gone much beyond this stage because the real alternative is a newer, better insulated house to start with. I have suggested/offered to rub beg bag balm product all over her, but again I get the :P
Old 12-07-2006, 09:46 AM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I had April-aire installed a few years ago........it works in the furnace and gives humidity to the whole house.

I change the filters every spring, after the winter when I use it all the time. I highly recommend a whole house humidifier .......

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:12 PM   #5
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

I hang the laundry indoors.
Old 12-07-2006, 01:20 PM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

We stopped using the whole house humidifier because it put too much humidity in the metal work and it started to show signs of rust.

We use a bemis, single room humidifier, run it at a high setting. We don't get mold, but do clean it out with soap/water every few weeks. Just make sure you rinse it very well?
uncledrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 01:28 PM   #7

I've researched this "quite a bit" (6-8 hours of reading Epinions, consumer search, Amazon, etc.) after our cheapies from Wal-mart, etc. died after usually a season. (filters clog, kiss their ass and clean 'em in vinegar, only to have it leak somewhere a month later, massive biomass buildup, etc.) A Hunter model and some other crap model... I'm ready to upgrade.

Slant/Fin GF-220 Humidifier

SO, from the consumersearch.com site:

Warm-mist humidifier.Professional reviews say the Slant/Fin warm-mist humidifier is one of the quietest, most effective humidifiers in testing, though it's more expensive than the cool-mist Vornado. This humidifier boils the water in the reservoir and uses an ultraviolet light to provide a 100% bacteria-free mist, without the need for filters. A warm-mist humidifier like the Slant/Fin can make a room feel warmer, allowing you to turn down your thermostat a notch or two without feeling chilly. One caution is that the hot water can be a burn hazard, and these models use more energy since they have a heating element.

I've yet to make the plunge and drop $100-ish on one, but this one seems to fit my scenario the best. I plan to order in the next week or so. I used to live in MN, but now in ND.

Also, there's different models to accommodate different square footages.

-CC
Old 12-07-2006, 02:43 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by FinanceDude
I had April-aire installed a few years ago........it works in the furnace and gives humidity to the whole house.

I change the filters every spring, after the winter when I use it all the time. I highly recommend a whole house humidifier .......
Same here with Aprilaire. Used them in our homes since 1988 including one superinsulated house with a special air-exhanger (2500 to 3800 sq ft). Whole house units like Apriaire obviously require a ductwork system. I locate the unit on the supply side duct just downstream of the furnance and the humidistat (moisture equivalent to a thermostat) on the return side of the ductwork. you tap into a hot water line for supply. No rust or mold issues in the ductwork unless you run them too high, which is a common mistake, especially in cold climates. Relative humidity of 10% feels bone dry (HW floors popping away), but something like 40-50% in the winter could easily be too high with low outdoor temps and a less than ideal envelope (condensation on exterior doors- windows, even walls). Something in the neighborhood of 30-35% works well for me. Depends on whether your house has a decent warm envelope vapor barrier (different from the exterior air infiltration barriers) and half decent R values for windows-doors-walls. My humble opinion.
TargaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2006, 03:53 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Isn't there some way we can bring politics or religion into this thread along with mean spirited name calling?
Old 12-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
Isn't there some way we can bring politics or religion into this thread along with mean spirited name calling?
Bees wax - Moon Valley bee's and botanicals - got a man in the moon molded shape - purchased last winter at the county Chili Cook Off.

And - just checked - found an Aprilaire 550 knob thing I just turned up to 25 (out of a max 45). Last winter

Heh heh heh - dehumidifiers down South.

unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 08:53 AM   #11

Have hot water heat so can't do one of those whole house setups..
I was in Target yesterday - they had a 2 for the price of 1 ($29.95) special on Holmes 1200 - pretty simple - uses arm & hammer baking soda and some mold/bacteria prevention - watching humidity go up right now
Old 12-08-2006, 09:08 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet
OK..............how about if we have a need for a LOT of humidity (warm moist air), there's always C-Span when Congress is in session............

My advice? Turn C-Span on, and go to work........when you get home, your house will feel like Birmingham in August............

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2006, 11:05 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanTien
Have hot water heat so can't do one of those whole house setups..
I was in Target yesterday - they had a 2 for the price of 1 ($29.95) special on Holmes 1200 - pretty simple - uses arm & hammer baking soda and some mold/bacteria prevention - watching humidity go up right now
Yeah that was the second junk brand of humidfier I had. The first was Hunter. I figured they'd both be relatively decent, but, nope. Walmart strikes again.

See if you can get yours to last more than a season.

-CC
Old 12-08-2006, 12:08 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCdaCE
Yeah that was the second junk brand of humidfier I had. The first was Hunter. I figured they'd both be relatively decent, but, nope. Walmart strikes again.

See if you can get yours to last more than a season.

-CC
Will Do..but at only $15 I can always replace witha fresh one, would that be ok?
Old 12-08-2006, 12:10 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Who can argue with $15?

Our Bemis has worked well for 5 or 6 years. Running right now.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2006, 07:07 AM   #16

Pick your poison.

The constant leaks, mold/bacteria/whatever infestation, etc. were more than I and the hardwood floors could handle.

-CC