Hurricane Harvey

You can thank me for not losing your power. I spent about three hours yesterday getting my old Hurricane Ike era generator running again. If I hadn't done that, I'm sure we would have lost power. [emoji41]

I taped up my apt windows in 1985 for hurricane Gloria, the news told us to do it. As usual it was like y2k, sort of a non event. About a week later i tried to get the tape off the windows. They must have had the forerunner of gorilla glue on that masking tape. It took me weeks to get it off the windows. I wound up even scratching the glass . You know if i needed to use that tape to seal a package it would have unsealed by the time I got to the post office.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Yes, been here 25 years and seen lots of flooding. The prediction is 6' over the banks for the Buffalo Bayou.
I wonder how old that prediction is. NW of The Woodlands a couple of small creeks are over their banks. One has gone up 5 ft with the rain late this afternoon.

However, where Harvey is now will affect the Colorado (TX) and Brazos Rivers watersheds and not so much the San Jacinto and Trinity watersheds.

Of course, things can change.

Last edited:
I am concerned for the cities that are downstream on the Guadalupe River such as Gonzales, Cuero and Victoria. Cuero had major flooding in 1998 from the Guadalupe and the river looked wider than the Mississippi near Victoria that year too.

I'm in the Hill Country between Austin and San Antonio and no flooding here with more than five inches of rain. It has been so dry here that the ground is still soaking it up.

I'm in the Hill Country between Austin and San Antonio and no flooding here with more than five inches of rain. It has been so dry here that the ground is still soaking it up.

Living in that area you are wise to be concerned about flooding. The tragic loss of life in the 2015 Memorial Day flood in Wimberly was something that shocked all of central Texas.

The rain in Houston over the past 12 hours has changed the situation here.

Keep the updates coming guys, I'm getting a lot more info from you than I am from my son. I can see that he is still at work through Google Maps even though Skype shows him offline so his phone has power and sending GPS info. (We share location with each other)

I lived in Houston for over 50 years and have seen many floods but this one looks like it may be the worst in my lifetime. Houston is really big and usually (not always) the really bad flooding is "mostly" in one large area of the city. North, south, east or west. This time it looks like the entire city and surrounding areas are getting hit really hard.

Last edited:
My son is back home and the bank had put up one of the Day Shift guys in a local hotel to ensure he had at least one person he could hand over to this morning after a 14 hour shift.

At least a foot of rain everywhere and over 20" in some areas. Rain appears to be sticking around for some time. National Weather Service office reported 24" of rain in the last 24 hours.

The Woodlands roads are passable as I was out for an hour this morning. Nothing is open (figures). Pasadena is experiencing heavy flooding. The power is still on in The Woodlands.

According to ABC weather reporting right now, they are forecasting up to 12" of rain additionally today and 6" or so tomorrow.

My son is back home and the bank had put up one of the Day Shift guys in a local hotel to ensure he had at least one person he could hand over to this morning after a 14 hour shift.
Good news that he is safe. Hope they pay overtime rates :)

Just watched the local news and ALL the freeways and feeder roads are flooded in some areas around the 610 loop in Houston. It appears the worst flooding is in Pasadena where boat rescues are underway. A large percentage of bayous and creeks are significantly out of their banks meaning localized flooding is widespread. It's a mess here.

Good news that he is safe. Hope they pay overtime rates :)

Yes, fortunately they do.

After this weekend (one more nightshift) he only has one more week to work before leaving.

Glad your son is safe, Alan, and that you still have power, Aja8888. The situation in Houston sounds pretty dire. :(

If you are interested.... a link with the rainfall totals around the area...

You can also click to see the bayou levels and see how many are over their banks... (channel status to the top left)... all the ! points are over their bank... the one near me is 6 ft over bank... there is a big park there that can take a lot of water and other smaller bayous that have not yet flooded so no flooding near me yet...

https://www.harriscountyfws.org/

Sure doesn't look good .........I know this sounds bad but if the storm would move a little East it would give some relief to Houston.

We are ok but for how long , my son's office is under water in Alvin. He is fine . I just wish it would stop . I seen all of the White Fema 18 wheelers Friday coming down 290 it looked endless , I wonder where they will park them . Probably at NRG.

Kind of a sad note Friday when I was out a friend of mine told me that the Army Corp. of Engineers were assembling in Bryan and an officer told him Houston would see 60 " of rain . I told my friend he was BS . I think he was telling the truth , it is not supposed to stop until Thursday.......................

IAH shut down this morning, and tentatively reopens at noon tomorrow. I notice today's AMS to IAH flight was diverted to IAD, and tomorrow's flight is cancelled. We are flying later this week, so keeping an eye on things.

I sure hope that flooding abates. The radar just looks relentless!

Latest ABC forecast is additional 15 - 25 inches of rain over the next few days. It's been pouring rain steadily all day north of Houston in The Woodlands.

aja, just saw this photo of the Landing in the Woodlands posted on Facebook. Yikes...

Attachments

• 21078406_1447627808648963_8041872765687419699_n.jpg
    21078406_1447627808648963_8041872765687419699_n.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 72
Ouch, REW, that place is wet!

That's a lot of water. Hope y'all are staying safe.

Check out this evacuation "request" for folks along Spring Creek in the south parts:
Spring Creek to crest in 24 hours; nearby residents urged to leave now - The Courier

Note that photo is Timber Lakes / Timber Ridge which floods every storm. Homeowners cannot sell, so they rent to the unknowledgeable and unsuspecting who only figure out why the rent was so cheap after all their possessions are soaked. Landlords just rinse and repeat.

Last edited:
Been watching KHOU on-line from the sister station in Dallas since KHOU facilities are flooded. Lots of private boats pulling people out of flooded neighborhoods south near Pearland. One guy said he was on hold with 911 for five hours. Makes you wonder where the City of Houston and County emergency folks are.

ETA: Haven't seen either the Red Cross or the National Guard. Am I watching the wrong TV station?

Last edited:
Been watching KHOU on-line from the sister station in Dallas since KHOU facilities are flooded. Lots of private boats pulling people out of flooded neighborhoods south near Pearland. One guy said he was on hold with 911 for five hours. Makes you wonder where the City of Houston and County emergency folks are.

ETA: Haven't seen either the Red Cross or the National Guard. Am I watching the wrong TV station?

Definitely, yes, you are watching the wrong TV station.

City and County emergency folks are working very hard. Even the top guys are answering phones and rescuing people.

Back
Top Bottom