Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-27-2017, 08:10 PM   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Fox26 is interviewing the folks (Harris County Flood Control) discussing the rationale for the release of water from both watersheds. The Addicks dam will release 4000 cubic feet per second into Buffalo Bayou and will probably add to the flows into downtown Houston areas. Barker will be released afterwards due to the faster inflow into Addicks.

Addicks will be opened at 2:00 AM, Barker, 24 hours later.

Stay tuned.

They have some difficult decisions to make. They have to calculate which scenario is worse - continue to hold back increasing amounts of water and increase upstream flooding, or let some water go and increase downstream flooding.

Then consider if increased water being held back can hamper the structural integrity of the dam. Something similar to the Oroville, ca dam.
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
They have some difficult decisions to make. They have to calculate which scenario is worse - continue to hold back increasing amounts of water and increase upstream flooding, or let some water go and increase downstream flooding.

Then consider if increased water being held back can hamper the structural integrity of the dam. Something similar to the Oroville, ca dam.
Yeah, that was all discussed in the interview that was televised. Scary stuff and hard decisions to make.
Old 08-27-2017, 08:22 PM   #83
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
I guess we we're closer to the coast since the eye of Ike passed within 10 miles of us and it was about 110mph. Rita veered off to the east just before landfall so it wasn't so bad for us.
Ooops, Rita was somewhat east of us, too.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 08:38 PM   #84
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Re evacuations from Houston: Given that San Antonio and Austin were out as routes to them crossed at least the potential path (i 10 and us 290) that cut the ability to evacuate Houston in half. (Basically i 45 and us59/i 69). And the paths at the time showed the storm going west of Houston, with no real sign on Wed/Thursday that the spigot would open up.
Apparently you need 4 days warning to do a proper evacuation of the se quadrant of Houston and the cities along the bay. (It takes about a day to turn set up the contraflow lanes for example.)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 11:59 PM   #85
Give me a forum ...

It is not unusual for this area to get huge amounts of rain...

Alvin Tx, just south of Houston, holds the record for the most rain in a 24 hour period in the US.... from tropical storm Claudette.... this says 42 inches, but I have read other articles saying a bit more...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropic...laudette_(1979)
The highest one-day total was reported near Alvin, Texas where 42 inches (1,100 mm) of rain fell. This remains the twenty-four-hour rainfall record for any location in the United States.
Texas Proud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:06 AM   #86
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post

ETA: Haven't seen either the Red Cross or the National Guard. Am I watching the wrong TV station?
Red Cross is definitely deploying assets and setting up shelters and feeding operations. More than 1800 people were in 34 Red Cross and community shelters in Texas overnight Saturday. No doubt that number increased substantially today.

Hundreds of volunteers are on the ground, but Red Cross isn't a first response organization. It takes some time to get things set up after the initial disaster. Transportation is a huge issue in the first days when access to the affected area is restricted.

I'm not sure if I'll make it to Texas, we've got large wildfire responses here within our region in the Northwest.

Red Cross Mounts Massive Relief Effort as Most Deadly and Devastating Hurricane in Over a Decade Poised to Strike U.S.
shortstop14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 05:42 AM   #87
Recycles dryer sheets

On evacuation and not to justify the Harris County activities since I don't live there any longer. We had been living in a suburb of Houston since 1981. In 2005 during Hurricane Rita my wife and kids left two days early to go to our weekend home (165 miles north) in which took her 6 hours at the time. I stayed at work on one evac crews and also close to our primary home. Long story short things looked so grim I finally left work to head north to my Family. It took me 32 hours to drive 188 miles (detours) and I seen things during this trip that made me view matters/people in a whole different perspective to this day. Point being evacuating this amount of people on our transit system is almost impossible IMO. Could it be done better yes of course. At present my kids/grandkids are in their homes in Houston, houses are dry but they can't get out of their neighborhoods. They should be fine but many folks are in a bad way as we have al seen on the news.
What I am trying to say is evacuating is not as simple as it sounds and people need to think for themselves. We are retired now and have built on our property in the country. We are expecting a house full any time now. its TX's turn for problems and keep us in your thoughts.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:23 AM   #88
Give me a forum ...

After years of being in the middle of these storms or watching them on TV, I've come to the conclusion the best way for me to determine where the worse part of the storm will likely be, is to find out where Jim Cantore is going. (Weather Channel guy)
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #89
gone traveling

This must be way worse than anything in the past 100 years, and probably much longer than that. South Texas getting more rain in a few days time than we get all year in North Texas. Prayers for everyone in the flood zone.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #90
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've been watching on the news and some of the pictures and interviews are so tragic. But I've been very impressed by the spirit of everyone I've seen interviewed. They've gone through so much, but their attitude is one of gratitude that they're physically safe and concern for others impacted. I've also seen lots of volunteers helping in any way they can. Thoughts and prayers to all affected.
Katiek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 08:32 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

Concerning the reservoirs... they had someone on TV this morning talking about them...

They are just fine... the reason for the release is they are filling up and if they do not let water out there will be an 'uncontrolled release'... IOW, the water will start to go around the dikes...

The release is not a huge amount... and they said the water coming in is more than what is being released as water continues to flow into them.... also, the flooding is the houses that are behind the dikes.... it is getting to record levels and it will back up into neighborhoods even with the release...

PLUS, as they say, there is still predicted to have 25 more inches or rain...

Heard that an estimate of 9 trillion gallons of water has fallen on Texas from the storm...
Old 08-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #92

Probably our last post for a while ,water is coming up quick . We are moving all personal and special items as high as we can get them . We have heard that Barker Lakes has come out and Cypress Creek has also come out .

We cannot leave our neighborhood Barker Cypress is under 3 foot of water the backside our golf course looks like lake . Water in my street is almost waist deep and still rising . Al we can do is pray prepare and wait and see . Our power is going to be shut off soon . Last night at midnight our neighborhood was dry , now underwater . We are putting towels around the doors and lower walls . Gonna be a wild time.
Breedlove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:14 AM   #93
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post
Probably our last post for a while ,water is coming up quick . We are moving all personal and special items as high as we can get them . We have heard that Barker Lakes has come out and Cypress Creek has also come out .

We cannot leave our neighborhood Barker Cypress is under 3 foot of water the backside our golf course looks like lake . Water in my street is almost waist deep and still rising . Al we can do is pray prepare and wait and see . Our power is going to be shut off soon . Last night at midnight our neighborhood was dry , now underwater . We are putting towels around the doors and lower walls . Gonna be a wild time.
Wishing you the best ..
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 09:15 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breedlove View Post

oh man that's a low lying area near bear creek golf course - praying!
Old 08-28-2017, 10:18 AM   #95
Moderator Emeritus

Gotta love this:

Ft Bend County issued mandatory evacuation orders for all residents this morning but they must have failed to realize that there is nowhere for them to go. Highway 59 and 6 is shut down in many areas, many main roads are underwater and getting out is pretty near impossible. Besides, the news cast is blaring out recommendations to not get on the roads.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:22 AM   #96
Give me a forum ...

Friends of mine made it out of Sienna Plantation to Dripping Springs so something must be open. 288 maybe?
Old 08-28-2017, 10:25 AM   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
Friends of mine made it out of Sienna Plantation to Dripping Springs so something must be open. 288 maybe?
Head to tell with this map that is not being updated too often:

Drive Texas - Static Map

They are interviewing residents who say they can't even get two blocks from their house. looks like the Brazos river is going way out of its banks. Looks like the news gals were wrong and it's only certain areas in the county:

http://www.fbherald.com/free/mandato...11e7b7624.html
Old 08-28-2017, 10:58 AM   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
Concerning the reservoirs... they had someone on TV this morning talking about them...

They are just fine... the reason for the release is they are filling up and if they do not let water out there will be an 'uncontrolled release'... IOW, the water will start to go around the dikes...

The release is not a huge amount... and they said the water coming in is more than what is being released as water continues to flow into them.... also, the flooding is the houses that are behind the dikes.... it is getting to record levels and it will back up into neighborhoods even with the release...

PLUS, as they say, there is still predicted to have 25 more inches or rain...

Heard that an estimate of 9 trillion gallons of water has fallen on Texas from the storm...
Uncontrolled releases around the edges of an earthen dam generally means the dam will be compromised by erosion and the ability to retain water will be reduced. The water will only rise to the level of the dam anyway. If the spillway can't handle the outflow and the dam is topped, the dam could fail.

The Army Corps of Engineers will have to balance releases and the effects downstream with the risk to the dam. Flooding houses upstream because of increasing water height is not going to be the biggest priority. Saving the dam and preventing a catastrophe will be.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 12:55 PM   #99
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Another Reader View Post
Uncontrolled releases around the edges of an earthen dam generally means the dam will be compromised by erosion and the ability to retain water will be reduced. The water will only rise to the level of the dam anyway. If the spillway can't handle the outflow and the dam is topped, the dam could fail.

The Army Corps of Engineers will have to balance releases and the effects downstream with the risk to the dam. Flooding houses upstream because of increasing water height is not going to be the biggest priority. Saving the dam and preventing a catastrophe will be.
IIRC, they said that the spillway would handle the rain... and the water will not top the dam...

The way they were talking they were saying that having the water rise to the spillway was 'uncontrolled' as it will be at whatever rate it goes over... they want to control the amount of water going downstream....

I am pretty sure the guy said there was no worry about the dam failing.... even though the channel I was watching said the exact opposite just after he said that....
Old 08-28-2017, 01:16 PM   #100
Give me a forum ...

They should call in Juan Browne. His reporting on the Oroville dam has been superb.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote