Hurricane Harvey

Best wishes to Houston and all areas experiencing massive flooding from Harvey.

We have been getting insanely torrential rains from Harvey and/or its bands today, but only off and on because we are so far away. Nothing like what Houston has been getting.

Live Harvey coverage from Houston on KHOU

WATCH NOW: Hurricane Harvey coverage | khou.com

Based on what I see on KHOU, this is starting to look like the aftermath of Katrina. No authorities out rescuing people, but lots of individual people going through neighborhoods in boats, pulling people out of houses. More and more evacuations ordered, but no roads out. People driving both ways on the interstate when they come to flooded areas. The problem was not the storm, but the aftermath.

Was on family vacation, extended the trip. Returning to continental U.S. tomorrow cant get back into Hou just yet as airports are down and high waters.

Based on what I see on KHOU, this is starting to look like the aftermath of Katrina. No authorities out rescuing people, but lots of individual people going through neighborhoods in boats, pulling people out of houses. More and more evacuations ordered, but no roads out. People driving both ways on the interstate when they come to flooded areas. The problem was not the storm, but the aftermath.

You are watching the wrong coverage. Every available agency is out on boats, Hummers, etc rescuing people. The National Guard has been here since it started and has big trucks going into flooded areas hauling people out. Every available rescue helicopter is in service.

Some news stations like to cheery pick the rescue coverage and that's evident here.

There has been incidents of looting mentioned on the news. On my neighborhood NextDoor (sort of like Facebook for neighborhood activities like lost pets, garage sales and what's happening in the area) there's been two folks posting that some absolute garbage people stole their rims/tires off their trucks last night. So if they needed to evacuate soon, they can't, as they can't use their trucks...

There has been incidents of looting mentioned on the news. On my neighborhood NextDoor (sort of like Facebook for neighborhood activities like lost pets, garage sales and what's happening in the area) there's been two folks posting that some absolute garbage people stole their rims/tires off their trucks last night. So if they needed to evacuate soon, they can't, as they can't use their trucks...

Yep, it happens during these times, and also in other cities. It's a shame. In Texas, one can be justifiably shot for that with no consequences for the shooter.

We are down in DeWitt County, about 40 miles northwest of Victoria. We got whacked pretty hard early Saturday morning, but overall our town was very lucky. Around 6 AM the track of the storm shifted from northwest to due north -- about three hours before it had been forecast to give us a direct hit. That shift kept us on the west (less nasty) side of the storm, and the eye passed about 15 miles to our east. As a result the 80-90 MPH winds forecast here became more like 50-60. Our power never went out. We've been busy looking around us and finding who needs help.

There is minor scattered structural damage in town, but our home seems to have emerged unscathed. We have a lot of cleanup ahead with downed tree limbs, but that's about the extent of it.

We were extremely lucky, lucky enough that I'm feeling a form of "survivor's guilt" when seeing how so many people not far from us got hit so hard. And we lived in Houston from 2003-06 so we still have friends there. At least one of them has several feet of water in their house and evacuated via boat from their second story window.

It's even affecting us here in Amsterdam. Our Thursday flight to Houston was cancelled today. Funny, they don't even let you reschedule for cancelled flights that far out online even though they give you a link. I had to wait an hour to talk to an agent - thank goodness for free wifi calling to US numbers. No problem rescheduling to return a few days later. I hope you all are clear by then!

Looking at Fox26 coverage, it appears the storm is moving at 3 MPH to the east and if it continues, will be heading for Louisiana. The outer rain bands are already pounding New Orleans. Maybe some of this flooding will drain off soon and I can get to the Med Center to get DW out of St. Lukes hospital.

Looking at Fox26 coverage, it appears the storm is moving at 3 MPH to the east and if it continues, will be heading for Louisiana. The outer rain bands are already pounding New Orleans. Maybe some of this flooding will drain off soon and I can get to the Med Center to get DW out of St. Lukes hospital.

Governor Edwards declared a mandatory evacuation for Cameron Parish. This is the furthest SW Parish (=County) in Louisiana. We are in the SE corner of the state. The Mayor of New Orleans is urging everyone to stay home tomorrow, and we plan to do that.

We had some insanely torrential rainfall from Harvey for 2-3 hours earlier this afternoon, but thankfully it is not raining right now. I don't think we could handle much more rain if it continued to come all at once like that. Our drainage canals filled up in just a couple of hours and there was some street flooding.

Hopefully our giant pumps are functioning properly as I type this, and are moving all that water from our canals, up over the levees and into Lake Ponchartrain.

Watching Fox 26 which is on and off on-line and getting the same impression.

The problems appear to be bigger than the resources available to solve them.

Watching Fox 26 which is on and off on-line and getting the same impression.

The problems appear to be bigger than the resources available to solve them.

Yes, there are 2.5 million people here (not all flooded) and the roads to get into town are underwater. Several states have sent rescue teams. I can't go 5 miles in any direction without seeing 5 or more feet of water on the road and I am 20+ miles from the edge of Houston proper. My daughter lives a few miles from us and her power is off. She can't get to our house and that's by using side roads with are also flooded.

Almost too much to get one's mind around...Millions involved to one degree or another.

. Median US household income is $54K.
. Average U.S household with debt owes $130,922 -- including credit cards, mortgages, auto loans, student loans, and other forms of debt.
. Median savings for all US families $5K

And for many of these average families in the flood zone...
. Home destroyed or heavily damaged. No Flood insurance
. Auto not covered with comprehensive insurance (flood)
. No power... no TV, no computer, no a/c, no lights, no phone charger, refrigerator, freezer.
. No clean water
. Sewer backed up (no toilet)
. Gas stations closed, no gas for generator, for car
. Water soaked house, furnishings ruined walls, floors clothes, personal effects
. Drug Stores, Food Stores closed.
. Emergency service for medical or evacuation on a wait your turn basis
. Workplace closed. Maybe never to reopen.
. Uncertainty about recovery period... Days, weeks, years... maybe never.

A "Thank God I'm alive" time... but what about tomorrow?

Heartsick thinking about how many "average" people will be affected. :(

Last edited:
Hopefully our giant pumps are functioning properly as I type this, and are moving all that water from our canals, up over the levees and into Lake Ponchartrain.
The mayor just announced that the pump closest to us, (pump #6 on the 17th St. Canal, about a mile away from us) is not working. :banghead:

New Orleans Mayor Mitch Landrieu urged residents to remain home Tuesday as Tropical Storm Harvey reentered the Gulf of Mexico.
Landrieu cited the storm's uncertain path and the city's diminished draining capacity, telling residents to stay off the roads if they can.

The mayor also said one of the pumps at Pump Station No. 6, serving Lakeview and parts of Jefferson Parish, went down during Monday's storms. The pump was repaired just last week.*
Paul Rainwater, one of the emergency managers brought in by the mayor to run the Sewerage & Water Board, said he's unsure how quickly the pump can be repaired.

Mitch Landrieu: Everyone in New Orleans should stay home Tuesday because of Harvey | News | theadvocate.com

Deep breaths..... Oh, and yes, our Sewerage and Water Board is now run by a Mr. Rainwater. :ROFLMAO: A little flood humor here.

My thoughts and prayers also go out for the folks in Houston. This is truly a situation where the residents are powerless over.

I do wish to mention that it has been very inspiring watching residents helping other residents during this crisis. I wish that I lived closer and could do something to help.

Michael

This is a huge challenge, in terms of how to respond physically and institutionally, and social control etc etc.

It does seem like Houston is doing an excellent job of taking this in stride and both the public and government responding well.

My heart goes out to all of you. I can imagine the stress involved too.

Ha

Many people in Houston have flood insurance because their lender requires it.

Have people looked at the FEMA maps of flood plains? They are easily found online.

Many people in Houston have flood insurance because their lender requires it.

Have people looked at the FEMA maps of flood plains? They are easily found online.
If you are not flat broke it is wise to get flood insurance no matter what the flood zone, IMO. Had we moved to Missouri, I would have had flood insurance there too. Flood insurance is relatively cheap so my viewpoint is, why not get it.

I too have been watching the flooding from Hurricane Harvey and my heart goes out to all affected.

Our little city flooded during Hurricane Floyd back in 1999. We are between rivers and down stream from the water shed. Every business was affected with water to the first floor ceilings. All services were shut down. Rebuild was slow. I had the sense that I was in a war zone.

Prayers for all in Houston and in all areas affected by Hurricane Harvey. This looks unprecedented!

This article mentions a St. Luke's Health-the Vintage Hospital, being evacuated. Presumably that is not the hospital DW is at?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/28/...region=span-abc-region&WT.nav=span-abc-region

It is so dry here (has not rained in three months) that I can't even wrap my head around 50+ inches of rain in a three day period. I sure hope you guys are ok and it lets up soon.

It is so dry here (has not rained in three months) that I can't even wrap my head around 50+ inches of rain in a three day period. I sure hope you guys are ok and it lets up soon.
That's a predicted 50+ inches accumulated in a five-plus day period.

Most of the online Harris County rain gauges are showing less than 30 inches total for the past 4 days. But it is still raining.

Back
Top Bottom