Hurricane Ida

Please folks, during a disaster like this let's stay away from criticizing why people live where they live, and have some empathy.

Bad things can happen to any of us.

Please folks, during a disaster like this let's stay away from criticizing why people live where they live, and have some empathy.

If my post came across as criticizing, then my apologies. I think very few of the users here haven't had to deal with some kind of natural disaster in their lived and I don't think anyone here lacks sympathy for those in LA (or MS or Cali or Colorado...)

I wonder if W2R could have someone in the neighborhood send a photo of her and Frank's house, just so they know in advance of arriving back, what conditions are like.

I had a friend do that for me on my cabin when there was a big problem, knowing what or at least some idea of what was wrong felt better than trying to guess at things.

I wonder if W2R could have someone in the neighborhood send a photo of her and Frank's house, just so they know in advance of arriving back, what conditions are like.

I had a friend do that for me on my cabin when there was a big problem, knowing what or at least some idea of what was wrong felt better than trying to guess at things.

Good idea. When we were on a cruise when the Northridge quake hit 3 miles from our home, I called my next door neighbor to check on the damage.

We're one step ahead of you. His sister went over there to take photos, and he's on the phone talking to her as I type this. Apparently the back fence blew down (but that's not mine, it's my neighbor's in the back).

No broken windows or doors! No obvious/major roof damage, although it could be leaking or whatever. WHEW!

We're one step ahead of you. His sister went over there to take photos, and he's on the phone talking to her as I type this. Apparently the back fence blew down (but that's not mine, it's my neighbor's in the back).

No broken windows or doors! No obvious/major roof damage, although it could be leaking or whatever. WHEW!

Great news, considering the possibilities, it sounds pretty fine. :flowers:

That is about as good as news as can be expected. Great!

The standard 6' wood fence across the back of my yard blew down. But it belongs to my back neighbor, not me! So I'm sure he'll deal with it.

His sister says it's too soon to come back - - no gas anywhere, so her generator is just sitting there.

The neighbor on the other side of F had two trees blow down, but neither landed on his property. We're happy. :D

P.S. - - just saw the photos.

The fence that fell down, fell into my yard, but it belongs to the neighbor, so I won't have to clean it up.

The big tree hanging over F's yard did not fall down.

There are a few roof shingles in our yards, and lots of small branches and such, but that will be less to deal with than we feared.

My detached garage did not collapse either!

Our roofs may or may not have lost a few shingles, but they are basically intact. We are so relieved!

The standard 6' wood fence across the back of my yard blew down. But it belongs to my back neighbor, not me! So I'm sure he'll deal with it.

His sister says it's too soon to come back - - no gas anywhere, so her generator is just sitting there.

The neighbor on the other side of F had two trees blow down, but neither landed on his property. We're happy. :D

Okey dokey, so maybe with the lessening of anxiety and worry you can begin to get some fun out of your unplanned "adventure"...

I don't know if any comments were deleted but up in the non earthquake, almost no tornado, and definitely no hurricane zone, people out of our area will grill me six ways from Sunday as to why I live in this horrible cold winter climate.

I don't see it as lack of empathy, I think we are better then that here..

Good to hear those of you who live in the area are safe.

Reactions: W2R
Our prayers were answered! Here's hoping for a quick return to NOLA.

Reactions: W2R
Our prayers were answered! Here's hoping for a quick return to NOLA.

I saw some videos of the demolished transmission towers, it's going to be a big project even with help from other areas of the country.

You don't have to live on the coast to be impacted by a hurricane. I am in the NC mountains and Ida is impacting us right now-- it is raining heavily here and there is a flash flood warning. Two weeks ago Fred came through and we had 10 trees down on our street, we had a 2 day power outage and the main road into Banner Elk NC washed away. There are very few places you can live that do not have some weather/natural disaster issues.

I saw some videos of the demolished transmission towers, it's going to be a big project even with help from other areas of the country.

An over whelming project when faced with all the things people forget to think about. One thing is to get trucks and material to the area where is has been flooded. The equipment maybe track machines but it is a slow processes with mud and debris etc.. Be a different story if all those lines were in open country verses a metro area.

A huge undertaken to restore and rebuild power grids. I know, I been part of that seen many times through my career.

Over the weekend, our electric company here in Connecticut sent 40 line crews down to New Orleans to help. It's a long drive, so they're probably just getting there now. The Connecticut National Guard is also going down there.

Last edited:
Yes, from some of my friends in that industry I know there is a lot of wonderful cooperation in times of crisis like this. Not uncommon to send crews as much as 1,000 miles from home when needed. I've even seen Canadian crews working to help restore power lines in Rhode Island.

An over whelming project when faced with all the things people forget to think about. One thing is to get trucks and material to the area where is has been flooded. The equipment maybe track machines but it is a slow processes with mud and debris etc.. Be a different story if all those lines were in open country verses a metro area.

A huge undertaken to restore and rebuild power grids. I know, I been part of that seen many times through my career.

Yep repairing the power grid is a huge task, especially when the damage is tough to physically get to.

When the most recent tornado hit our area, it also took out several high voltage transmission towers. Lots of them were in inaccessible areas. ComEd had to clear tornado debris (trees and parts of houses), and then put down a plank road before bringing in equipment in for repairs. The plank road was needed because ground under the tower lines was soaked and wouldn't support heavy equipment. These line and tower repairs took several weeks.

But our power was only off for 5 days because we get our power from other points on the grid.

Our nephew's MIL lives in NOLA and was told her power would be off for 9 days. There's a lot there to fix, even with help from across the country

Last edited:

P.S. - - just saw the photos.

The fence that fell down, fell into my yard, but it belongs to the neighbor, so I won't have to clean it up.

The big tree hanging over F's yard did not fall down.

There are a few roof shingles in our yards, and lots of small branches and such, but that will be less to deal with than we feared.

My detached garage did not collapse either!

Our roofs may or may not have lost a few shingles, but they are basically intact. We are so relieved!

All fantastic news!!! Thank you for sharing. Perhaps you can now get some well needed sleep!

Yes, from some of my friends in that industry I know there is a lot of wonderful cooperation in times of crisis like this. Not uncommon to send crews as much as 1,000 miles from home when needed. I've even seen Canadian crews working to help restore power lines in Rhode Island.

"Mutual assistance" is an absolute must...think about how much it would cost to have thousands upon thousands of employees and the equipment for an event that happens (hopefully) only every few years. And of course, there is some $$ that entices them, too.

When a utility receives mutual assistance crews and other equipment, the utility receiving the assistance is responsible for them financially, covering the costs for the crews and dealing with liability and other related expenses. However, responding utilities are expected to handle the logistics of their travel to the requesting utility.

Here is a fairly interesting report that gets into some details and history of mutual assistance:

https://pubs.naruc.org/pub/536E475E-2354-D714-5130-C13478337428

The report you are reading was created under the National Council on Electricity Policy & Energy Assurance program, a project of the National Association of Regulatory Utility Commissioners (NARUC)Grants & Research Department.

Wonderful to hear houses made it OK W2R - what a relief.

Here is the Flickr page for Entergy. It seems as though they have been updating pictures fairly regularly.

https://flickr.com/photos/entergy?
Thanks for sharing that Entergy Updating. One thing too, it was hard to get material for electrical companies project with the covid event that we are still battling.
Transformers, glass and poles were all most impossible early summer yet. So, waiting on material can also slow up the progress.

Last edited:
When we were driving north out of Florida to evacuate from Hurricane Irma in 2017, we saw several dozen power company crews from northern states driving south into the danger zone to be ready in advance for the post-storm recovery.

On our return home, we bought snacks and stopped and offered them to every repair crew we saw along the roadside. They were grateful for the treats.

Back
Top Bottom