Join Early Retirement Today

Hurricane Ida
Old 08-27-2021, 06:49 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hurricane Ida

I have been following Ida, the next big hurricane that is forecasted to hit the U.S., probably somewhere in the gulf coast, most likely Louisiana. I was thinking about the Forum members who live in that area. What are you folks doing to prepare?
harllee is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2021, 07:14 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harllee View Post
I have been following Ida, the next big hurricane that is forecasted to hit the U.S., probably somewhere in the gulf coast, most likely Louisiana. I was thinking about the Forum members who live in that area. What are you folks doing to prepare?

Check out the "This weather is awful!!" thread. Or maybe they should move some of those posts over to this new thread.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2021, 07:17 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
I'm right now responding to your ? I may leave I may not as not originally from the South but have been thru some serious snow storms in the North and never left just dealt with the 4 plus feet of snow that fell in less than 48 hours along with winds of 100 plus blowing snow so high you had to dig tunnels to get out and no power for a week in freezing temps really does suck
Old 08-27-2021, 07:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Being without power for long periods of time is awful. Just last week when tropical storm Fred came through the NC mountains we had no power at my mountain cabin for a couple of days and had to throw away a bunch of food in the refrigerator.
Old 08-27-2021, 09:28 PM   #5
gone traveling

Margaret Orr just now on WDSU said could me as much as 20 inches of rain is some locations.
OneMarcilV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 09:09 AM   #6
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
We moved ~150 miles away from the Gulf Coast about 15 years ago so I'm not doing much of anything, except preparing the guest rooms for a couple of "friends" that are fleeing the storm. I have friends that live near New Orleans, Houston/Galveston and Corpus Christi... Over the years, they have all come to visit during one of the storm threats in their area.... Fortunately it's just one family at a time. Not the first time and probably won't be the last.
Old 08-28-2021, 12:11 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

What did we do to prepare?

After retiring we moved to Columbia, MO. Katrina and its aftermath was NO fun. Katrina passed over our house. We and our neighborhood had a lot of damage.
molly312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2021, 12:44 PM   #8
Administrator

Latest map from the National Hurricane Center shows the predicted track passing over Morgan City, which is about 50 miles west of New Orleans. There will still be strong winds, but it could be a lot worse.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:21 PM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
Latest map from the National Hurricane Center shows the predicted track passing over Morgan City, which is about 50 miles west of New Orleans. There will still be strong winds, but it could be a lot worse.
latest and greatest I just got coming thru my back yard at 1pm tomorrow
Old 08-28-2021, 08:34 PM   #10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebden View Post
Well, that sucks. I hope all goes well for you and your family. Please report in after it passes.
Old 08-28-2021, 08:40 PM   #11
Give me a forum ...

^ please be safe!
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 04:36 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Wow 140mph!
Old 08-29-2021, 04:50 AM   #13
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This looks like a whopper. Could be Katrina 2.0. 140 mph winds, dangerous amounts of rain, storm surge. Please be safe. Can you evacuate? Go straight west or straight east example? The window is closing to get out. You can't save a home against a hurricane like this by being there. Save yourself. The home is replaceable. You are one of a kind and have the blessing of ER ahead of you. Go. Yesterday.
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 05:05 AM   #14
Give me a forum ...

It’s not as physically as big as some of the monster storms, but you wouldn’t want to be close!

Stay safe!
Old 08-29-2021, 05:07 AM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mebden View Post
Oh my --hope you have already evacuated. If not please get out!
Old 08-29-2021, 06:48 AM   #16

Now 150 mph and the pressure has dropped to 930 millibars...
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:10 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Reported in the "Weather" thread, W2R and F evacuated successfully. Here is hoping any damage is minimal. God be with everyone in the area.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:11 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I just saw a video clip of a crowd of passengers getting stuck at New Orleans airport because of all flights being cancelled. No place for them to go. Who knows how long they will be stuck at the airport, with no cars or hotels available.

Oh boy, what a miserable vacation!

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 07:27 AM   #19

Our house is now in the projected eye or a couple miles to the west of it. So we'll get damage and power outages.
Thankfully we've been in Colorado all summer. Our kids are in or near us in Baton Rouge so they'll be affected as well.
Accepting all prayers!
Old 08-29-2021, 07:33 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

If not for hurricanes, we’d definitely live on the East coast. We deliberately chose a metro area a couple hours inland so we can visit often while avoiding most hurricane damage. Best of luck to all in the path of Ida, it appears we may get some rain but nothing too serious.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote