Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-25-2011, 08:00 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Good luck to those on the East Coast. We Katrina survivors understand your angst. Suggestion: - If you are in the path and MAY have damage, start researching and asking friends for names of reputable roofers, carpenters, tree removal services, and contractors. Once your area has damage...it is MUCH more difficult to "make your list".
molly is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2011, 08:44 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not too worried about the storm surge. That's why I bought on the other side of the bay from Ocean City. They can absorb the surge for us (I hope). Anyway, we're nearly 10' above sea level. Practically in the mountains. The winds are a little worrying, though. We get sustained 50+ mph winds every winter when the Nor'easters come through. But if we go a lot higher than that there might be some damage. Keeping my fingers crossed. I'll get back home tomorrow. That should give me time to haul everything that's not nailed or tied down into the garage before it hits. I'll check back in whenever we get internet access back, since we lose that even in light thunderstorms. Sarah, if I see the Stella Rose floating by I'll try to grab her for you.
Old 08-25-2011, 09:01 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Sarah, if I see the Stella Rose floating by I'll try to grab her for you.
Thanks! But considering her engine is in pieces in the bilge, she's no longer my favorite possession! So you can keep her if you have a diesel mechanic handy.

Hope y'all do okay with the storm and surge. We're in a "B" zone at the house, and on pilings, so like y'all, it would take a dang tidal wave to reach the floor. Not that we're looking for it, TD#10!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been visiting family in North Carolina over the past 2 weeks, headed back to Texas on Saturday. Hopefully anyhow.....

“Hard work never killed anybody, but why take a chance?” - Edgar Bergen
martyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 09:34 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Thanks! But considering her engine is in pieces in the bilge, she's no longer my favorite possession! So you can keep her if you have a diesel mechanic handy.
Ahh! the pleasures of boating, I remember it well.
Old 08-25-2011, 10:51 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Getting worse and worse. As of right now weather.com has the center of the hurricane passing about a mile inland of our house. Ocean City has required the stores to stop selling liquor, and has implemented mandatory evacuation for tomorrow. Luckily I'm well stocked on all supplies. I've lowered the hurricane shutters, put everything away that I can, and tied everything else down. Twice. It's going to be an interesting experience. Nothing like what you Katrina folks experienced, but 90 mph winds gusting to 120+ is going to be the worst storm I've seen since Donna back when I was 6. Hopefully we'll keep our feet dry. You folks down in the Outer Banks and VA Beach stay safe.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:21 AM   #27

Stay safe Harley...you've done all you can and now it is watch and wait.
Still trying to get my daughter out of Va. Beach...and to come 1 hour inland with her dog and cat. It may not matter much with the size of this ...but it sure would ease my mind. This is tracking like Floyd....and Floyd nailed our area with flooding. The difference is there will be more sustained wind strength for us with Irene than Floyd.
We expect to loose power and some trees....and I hope that is all. This is a very sobering hurricane isn't it.
sheehs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 05:22 AM   #28

To all in the path, stay safe! Best hopes for you, you families and property.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:42 AM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Survived Katrina physically, will never be the same otherwise. Storm surge 28feet in Bay St. Louis and 19 feet in Biloxi. Do not underestimate this storm or the storm surge. I suggest you take all important things (family pics, heirlooms, legal docs) and place them well out of harms way. I would also recommend tying EVERYTHING down. Most items float, even heavy things. Your left over firewood from last winter will become missiles that will destroy you neighbors house, etc. This is not a "fun" time to gather 'round the weather channel or joke about what fun it is to ride out a hurricane, this is serious as a heart attack. Prayers are with the east coast now.
BigE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 07:01 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Hmm...they've moved the path offshore again. I'm not sure if that's better or not. We're a little closer to the edge of the worst winds, but still in it. Darn meteorologists, can't they figure out exactly where this thing will go a couple of days ahead? Today I'm going to take down everything that is removable (outdoor lights, screen doors, garden hoses, etc) and tie down better or bring in everything else I can find. We have a bunch or large, very heavy planters that I was going to leave out, but I think I'll see if I can get them on the hand truck and put them in the garage. I seem to have a day before the worst of it gets here. I wasn't originally worried about things like siding and shingles, but I guess they might take damage. Nothing I can do about that. This waiting sort of sucks.
Old 08-26-2011, 07:26 AM   #31

We're not close to it, might see 25 mph winds and some light rain, but relatives in DE are now getting tropical storm warnings.

We offered them a place to stay but they have so far declined.
Old 08-26-2011, 08:24 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Hmm...they've moved the path offshore again. I'm not sure if that's better or not.
For most folks, I suspect it is. The "sloppy" quadrant (the one that does the most damage) tends to be the northeast quadrant of the storm, and if the path moves farther off to sea, most of the coastline will be farther away from that portion of it.
"Hey, for every ten dollars, that's another hour that I have to be in the work place. That's an hour of my life. And my life is a very finite thing. I have only 'x' number of hours left before I'm dead. So how do I want to use these hours of my life? Do I want to use them just spending it on more crap and more stuff, or do I want to start getting a handle on it and using my life more intelligently?" -- Joe Dominguez (1938 - 1997)
ziggy29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 09:12 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Dang Harley, I can't believe they closed the liquor stores! That would never happen here!
I would go ahead and start pulling things in and stowing them, as it takes a lot longer to do that stuff than you think. We went down to the boat last night to add lines and fenders and do other stuff to secure items outside and in, and didn't get done until 10:30pm. It is a good exercise for us, though, because next time we might not be this "lucky" to be in the tropical storm area.

Saw pictures from the Abacos (Bahamas) taken during the storm; pretty remarkable seas and a fair bit of damage on a few islands.

Be safe folks, and start your preparations as early as you can. We'll be thinking of you as she goes by us later tonight.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:25 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I am in SW Connecticut and not sure what to expect yet. But speaking of boats, mine took a beating in 2002 (below)...not sure what storm that one was, but it came from the east and pummelled down into the LI Sound. What a mess...ended up selling the boat not long after that.

Edit: I think this was Gustav in 2002.

bltkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Some picture!
Wow, so I just came across this--510 miles in diameter is a huge storm.

Hurricane Irene is a major hurricane, and NASA satellite data shows its diameter is now about one-third the length of the U.S. Atlantic coastline. Meanwhile, far in the eastern Atlantic Ocean a tenth tropical depression formed. One satellite image captured both storms and shows the tremendous difference in their size.

NOAA's GOES-13 satellite saw Hurricane Irene moving through the Bahamas on August 25, 2011 at 10:02 a.m. EDT and far to the east off the African coast was newly born Tropical Depression 10. The GOES-13 image shows Irene to be almost one third of the size of the U.S. east coast. The distance from Augusta, Maine to Miami, Florida is 1662.55 miles. Hurricane Irene's tropical storm-force winds extend 255 miles from the center making Irene 510 miles in diameter, almost one-third the size of the U.S. Hurricane-force winds extend 70 miles from the center, or 140 miles in diameter.

Old 08-26-2011, 10:50 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

More trivia then I gotta go--looks like the big bridge is getting too hard to get across with the winds up, so we'll be closing up shop here now.

Largest Atlantic hurricanes by gale diameter
Rank Storm Season Diameter (mile)

1 Igor 2010 920
2 Olga 2001 863
3 Lili 1996 806
4 Karl 2004 777
5 Helene 2006 748
6 Irene 1999 719
7 Gabrielle 1989 690
Florence 2006 690
9 Wilma 2005 662
10 Keith 1988 633
Grace 1991 633

Old 08-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

And intensity. Not surprised Hugo was 2 on this list.

Most intense landfalling Atlantic hurricanes in the United States
based on size and intensity for total points on the Hurricane Severity Index Rank
Hurricane Year Intensity Size Total
1 Carla 1961 17 25 42
2 Hugo 1989 16 24 40
Betsy 1965 15 25 40
4 Camille 1969 22 14 36
Katrina 2005 13 23 36
Opal 1995 11 25 36
7 Miami 1926 15 19 34
8 Audrey 1957 17 16 33
Fran 1996 11 22 33
Wilma 2005 12 21 33
Source: Hurricane Severity Index

Old 08-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Dang Harley, I can't believe they closed the liquor stores! That would never happen here!

Be safe folks, and start your preparations as early as you can. We'll be thinking of you as she goes by us later tonight.
That just goes to show that the residents and summer people in Charleston are significantly more intelligent and trustworthy than the ones in OC. And yes, I know that's damning with faint praise.

I think I'm 95% battened down. A few minor things still to go, and they're saying now Irene won't get her until Sunday.

Be safe yourself, and all you others in the path.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Preps at the Purron place:

- all outdoor furniture and potential projectiles secured - Check
- batteries for flashlights and radio - Check
- cars gassed up - Check
- cell phones charged up - Check
- sufficient water for drinking, washing, and toilets - Check
- nonperishable food for 1 week - Check
- enough Fancy Feast for 1 week - Check
- a couple bottles of good wine and some brewskies - Check

Looks like it's weakening a bit and moving farther away. Here's hoping for the best!

Old 08-26-2011, 04:17 PM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purron View Post
Preps at the Purron place:

- all outdoor furniture and potential projectiles secured - Check
- batteries for flashlights and radio - Check
- cars gassed up - Check
- cell phones charged up - Check
- sufficient water for drinking, washing, and toilets - Check
- nonperishable food for 1 week - Check
- enough Fancy Feast for 1 week - Check
- a couple bottles of good wine and some brewskies - Check

Looks like it's weakening a bit and moving farther away. Here's hoping for the best!

Purron, I have a really long checklist, most of which is optional, but anyway looking through it I saw some other things to think about for your checklist:

money from ATM
do laundry now
fill bathtub with water (to use for toilet, in case water isn't available)
keep the animals from running off

And if you plan to leave,
empty refrigerator/freezer so it won't be ruined if power goes out
gather things you plan to take if you have to leave, like photos, important papers and files, clothing, favorite kitty toys, and so on

Good luck to you and all others in the path of Emily. We'll be watching and hoping for the best.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote