Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-05-2017, 10:31 AM   #61
Moderator Emeritus

We may have to postpone our trip to Florida... The friends we are supposed to visit on the FL coast might have to come crash at our house instead!
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2017, 11:51 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hoping for the best for (former mod and Florida resident) Khan... she posted this in the "What did you do today?" thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Hurricane prep stage four. Second generator, electric cooler unit (insulin needs to be kept cold).
Seeing to get some prescriptions ahead of schedule.
Will move boat to car port.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Forest fires and earthquakes on the west coast, Huge hurricanes on the east coast, tornadoes inland from that and all over the Midwest

Phoenix, AZ is starting to sound pretty dang good.
Yeah you just have to worry about burning your bare feet as you walk across the concrete to jump in the pool. Seriously, I live in Phoenix and while the heat is oppressive for 5 months of the year we mostly avoid natural disasters that many other places have to put up with.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:38 PM   #64

Dear Irma, could you kindly hit North Korea? This might solve some problems, thank you
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 12:40 PM   #65

Jose is hot on Irma's heels. Predicted to travel north of Irma.
GrayHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Hurricane Irma
Old 09-05-2017, 01:08 PM   #66

Hurricane Irma

Just spoke to my sister who is north of Sarasota. "Shelves are empty already..gas is already out.. I have a stress headache." I think people are scared to death after Houston. She said they took some cash out and are prepared to run for it.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:22 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayinpenn View Post
Just spoke to my sister who is north of Sarasota. "Shelves are empty already..gas is already out.. I have a stress headache." I think people are scared to death after Houston. She said they took some cash out and are prepared to run for it.
Must be all those ex New Yorkers, continuing the tradition of stocking up for the 2 inch snow storm. Old habits die hard.
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Old 09-05-2017, 01:32 PM   #68
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Shelves are empty already..gas is already out..

You might want to check the vegan section:

Clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:35 PM   #69
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Shelves are empty already..gas is already out..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post
Will eating vegan give you gas?
Old 09-05-2017, 01:49 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

If it is not one hurricane, it's 'nother. Sigh...

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 01:50 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Must be all those ex New Yorkers, continuing the tradition of stocking up for the 2 inch snow storm. Old habits die hard.

You confuse habit with hoarding tradition; even if you normally only drink milk with their coffee/ tea, upon hearing of an upcoming show fall you must buy 2 gallons. You must also buy up more bread then you can reasonably use. If you see someone trying to grab that last whatever a body check to push them out of the way is fully acceptable. Snow cancels all rules of common decency.
Old 09-05-2017, 01:52 PM   #72

Quote:
Just sent the following Facebook messenger message to my brother who lives in key west

"So I'm sure you thought about evacuation ... I'm sure I don't need to tell you that with a single exit road if you don't get out by Saturday I'm not sure you will be able too. This thing looks as scary as they get."

There will always be those who choose unwisely to stay.

Edit: sent this before it became a cat 5
And I now told him out by Wednesday....
Old 09-05-2017, 01:54 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Forest fires and earthquakes on the west coast, Huge hurricanes on the east coast, tornadoes inland from that and all over the Midwest

Phoenix, AZ is starting to sound pretty dang good.
I read that temperature in SF hit 106F last Friday. Holy Moly!

We were at 108F and it felt hot. And then, that's outside temperature, not the inside air-conditioned temperature.

Most San Franciscans have no AC, and I bet their humidity is not in the single-digit range like we have. I would die.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:04 PM   #74
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
We are booked to go to Cuba on Friday . Ha Ha That is not happening !
We're sailing out of FLL for an Eastern Caribbean itinerary in a week and a half. Irma will be gone by then but our ports of call are currently Nassau, San Juan, and Philipsburg. Irma sure looks like it's going to just pummel San Juan and Philipsburg. I feel really bad for them because there's no where to go except to hunker down. Whereas, I suspect my cruise will just end up doing a Western itinerary as these place will be cleaning up for a while.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:06 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clone View Post

The Kosher and vegan section are the last to get wiped out.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:17 PM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
And I now told him out by Wednesday....
So what does he think about your armchair quarterbacking ..I think you're probably adding to his stress level.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:25 PM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I hope Moemg and her SO will not be harmed, and that her home is not damaged either. From what she has said on the forum, I think she lives somewhere near that area too.

So many of our members live in various parts of Florida. I hardly know what to say, but my heart goes out to all of you. I sure hope for the best possible outcome for everyone.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:28 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

I think he's off the hook. Reported in the WaPo:
Quote:
Officials in Monroe County — home of the Florida Keys, a popular tourist destination — said Tuesday they had issued a mandatory evacuation for tourists beginning on Wednesday morning at 7 a.m. A mandatory evacuation for residents was also issued for Wednesday evening at 7 p.m
fosterscik is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 02:35 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Hear, hear!! - All you real estate barons on this board:

Real estate prices in Florida will be getting much cheaper later this year. Get your cash ready!!
Old 09-05-2017, 02:40 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Hear, hear!! - All you real estate barons on this board:

Real estate prices in Florida will be getting much cheaper later this year. Get your cash ready!!
Thanks, but.....