Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-07-2017, 10:57 AM   #141
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustCurious View Post
You are basically praying for the storm to hit the Bahamas more than Florida...there are people in the Bahamas praying for it to shift more to the west. I'm sure there are more people praying for Florida than the Bahamas just based on population and I wonder if God considers the total number of conflicting prayers when deciding which prayers to answer?
I was hoping it would hit North Korea
Withdrawal Rate currently zero, Pension 137 % of our spending, Wasted 5 years of my prime working extra for a safe withdrawal rate. I can live like a King for a year, or a Prince for the rest of my life. I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic, I will stay on topic
Blue Collar Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 11:16 AM   #142
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Collar Guy View Post
Ok as a city kid, I need to ask, What did you do for those 2 weeks? You stayed and roughed it? Or did the BCG thing and try to find a dog friendly hotel?
We stayed a couple of days, but we decided to take a trip to my sister who lives in Austin... along with other family members!!! My mom, and 2 sisters stayed here and roughed it out...

We did not have cats at the time... but sis loves cats (she bred for a few years) and we could still go there... the problem would be getting the cats there... one we cannot get into a cage and the other fights when put in one... biting the door and meowing loudly...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:21 AM   #143
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
I love our little Honda EU2000i

I probably have already put 200 or more hours on it because of this smoke from the forest fires making solar not work. Highly recommend that little red $1000 inverter generator!

What will this run? Can you run a freezer and fridge at the same time?

I was looking at the 2800 model... EB2800... not as portable but has a bigger tank and runs longer... it also looks like it can run a small AC unit as it draws 4 to 8 amps for a smaller unit...

Electric Generator Depot - Honda EB2800i 2,800-Watt 120-Volt Industrial Inverter Generator - EB2800iXA
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:23 AM   #144

Quote:
While I take this in the humorous, light-hearted vein I think it was intended, that population is one of the poorest, most down-trodden groups of humanity in the world. I personally wouldn't wish even more suffering on them (or anybody).

I wish Irma would take a hike to the mid-Atlantic.
Old 09-07-2017, 11:29 AM   #145

Quote:
You would have to have a lot of pull with whoever is in charge to get that prayer answered.
Another Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #146
Moderator Emeritus

I'm just hoping it doesn't turn west and whack us in Houston.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #147
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
We're insured for wind damage. Eighth floor we didn't see need for flood insurance. Question is how responsive the insurance companies will be.
Well, stuff in the basement storage might be a reason.

Quote:
is there a waiting period for flood insurance? Might be prudent to get a policy now if it will be in effect immediately.
Many insurers have a limit on policies for new coverage once hurricane season starts. Once a storm has formed in the Atlantic you can't even get a safe deposit box, much less a new insurance policy.

Quote:
You are basically praying for the storm to hit the Bahamas more than Florida...there are people in the Bahamas praying for it to shift more to the west. I'm sure there are more people praying for Florida than the Bahamas just based on population and I wonder if God considers the total number of conflicting prayers when deciding which prayers to answer?
My real hope is it dissipates suddenly, then shifts east.

Quote:
Not helpful. Let's keep the thread on topic, eh?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:07 PM   #148
Give me a forum ...

I always wonder this about wars, too. Everyone is convinced God is on their side, but does God really take sides? We should have a Metaphysics thread.

Quote:
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #149
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
I always wonder this about wars, too. Everyone is convinced God is on their side, but does God really take sides? We should have a Metaphysics thread.
I'm pretty sure Porky is a metaphysician...and he always has the last word.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:33 PM   #150
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
is there a waiting period for flood insurance? Might be prudent to get a policy now if it will be in effect immediately.
You can not purchase flood insurance if there is a storm. I have flood insurance but have never needed it . My house is 17' in the air .I do face Sarasota Bay so I get a birds eye view of the storms . We got supplies , will bring in all the outside furniture and hope for the best . I have been through many hurricanes so I know the drill .I feel sorry for anybody who will be affected by this monster.
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 12:46 PM   #151
Give me a forum ...

We are in North East Florida, all the tracks (Currently) head for us on the way to South Carolina. Still uncertain at this point. Just making plans at the moment and putting things in what we hope will be safe places. We will decide whether to evacuate later, perhaps Saturday or Sunday.
Old 09-07-2017, 12:57 PM   #152
Give me a forum ...

Why does God allow hurricanes to develop? Maybe it's the work of the devil, and God could not help either.

A short time ago, I posted a French song where a little girl asked an old man some tough questions, one of which was about God. See: http://www.early-retirement.org/foru...ml#post1917500

Pourquoi le diable et le bon Dieu? / Why the devil and the good God?
C'est pour faire parler les curieux. / It's to make the curious talk.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:03 PM   #153

I smell bacon...
Old 09-07-2017, 01:08 PM   #154
Administrator

One of the biggest, baddest and meanest hurricanes of modern times should be interesting enough to keep us on track and on topic, don't ya' think?
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:27 PM   #155
Give me a forum ...

The problem is we are mentioning names when we should have kept the Hurricane hypothetical

Just kidding. Where is that hiding under a table emoticon...
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 01:31 PM   #156
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Nope, estadounidenses go to the head of the queue.

Ha
Old 09-07-2017, 01:34 PM   #157

Now I smell ham...
Old 09-07-2017, 01:46 PM   #158
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
What will this run? Can you run a freezer and fridge at the same time?

I was looking at the 2800 model... EB2800... not as portable but has a bigger tank and runs longer... it also looks like it can run a small AC unit as it draws 4 to 8 amps for a smaller unit...

Electric Generator Depot - Honda EB2800i 2,800-Watt 120-Volt Industrial Inverter Generator - EB2800iXA
The 2000 (which is really 1600 watts continuous rated) will run a small window unit (something less than 9000 BTU) so it might run a freezer and fridge at the same time if they didn't both try to start up at the same time.

It will run a chop saw (which may or may not be useful in a hurricane). It easily will run a microwave or a tv/computer.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:50 PM   #159
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
The 2000 (which is really 1600 watts continuous rated) will run a small window unit (something less than 9000 BTU) so it might run a freezer and fridge at the same time if they didn't both try to start up at the same time.

It will run a chop saw (which may or may not be useful in a hurricane). It easily will run a microwave or a tv/computer.
I'm reading this wondering why I know so much about generators

anyway, I brought this up with me from htown and haven't used it since Ike

Electric Generator Depot - Generac 5976 GP6500 6500 Watt 7.2 Gallon Portable Generator Csa Approved 389cc

It ran a fridge, a window A/C unit, microwave, coffee maker, a few TVs and some lights until we got the standby generator fixed
Old 09-07-2017, 01:56 PM   #160
Give me a forum ...

I like the EU2000i mostly because it is very small, light, and fairly quiet. All good things for being mobile and going camping. I do like a big generator like that 6.6kW unit but try picking that up with one hand and putting it in the trunk of your car.