Hurricanes and Ohio

Khan

Gone but not forgotten
Wright-Patterson to become safe haven for aircraft threatened by Tropical Storm Hanna

WRIGHT-PATTERSON AIR FORCE BASE, Ohio -- Officials from the 88th Air Base Wing here are preparing to receive aircraft and their associated aircrews, maintenance and security personnel from several east coast military installations threatened by approaching Tropical Storm Hanna.

A popular local 'sport' is to go to the north end of the base and watch (and identify) all the aircraft that come and go (there are runway lights on both sides of rte 235).

Over 100 Planes Getting Safe Haven At WPAFB - News Story - WHIO Dayton

map fairborn oh - Google Maps

Nothing like going outside in the morning and seeing Cobras flying overhead.

A popular local 'sport' is to go to the north end of the base and watch (and identify) all the aircraft that come and go (there are runway lights on both sides of rte 235).

Over 100 Planes Getting Safe Haven At WPAFB - News Story - WHIO Dayton

map fairborn oh - Google Maps

Nothing like going outside in the morning and seeing Cobras flying overhead.

I went to my first airshow at Wright-Patterson. I think I was about 11 or so; as I remember the featured warplane was the F-86 Sabre. I returned home and made a great solid body model of it. These were the old wooden body models, not yet plastic crap.

Ha

Yes, the WPAFB commissary and Exchange gets busy during the Hurricane season. We usually try not to go there on our quarterly visit during those months (we live about 55 miles east of WP).

Yes, the WPAFB commissary and Exchange gets busy during the Hurricane season. We usually try not to go there on our quarterly visit during those months (we live about 55 miles east of WP).

One year a hurricane evacuation coincided with the Air Force Marathon.

Back
Top Bottom