HVAC sticker shock so I replaced it myself, maybe you can too?

One of my HVAC units is in the attic. I have wondered to myself how someone would remove the old and Install new. Access if not large enough.

Same here, and I watched carefully while the HVAC guys (crew of 3) managed to get my old unit down and the new one up during a replacement job a few years back. It took a lot of maneuvering and finesse—and also lots of elbow grease and sweat—to get those large, heavy units down (and up) those narrow attic stairs. I was pretty impressed. Not at all something I'd ever consider trying to DIY.

Comparison? Driving a car is a necessity for many people, it gets them to work and so on. Hiring a driver for daily work commute would be excessive for most, I am guessing, so the comment makes not enough sense to me.

Spending a few thousand on HVAC contractor every 10-20 years is fine for some, not for others. I kinda mentioned that in the post.

I think the driving car analogy was just to make a point, but we all draw the line somewhere. We've got new neighbors that will hire someone for anything exceeding the difficulty of hanging a picture on the wall.

Spending/Saving a few thou on a HVAC contractor once or twice is not all there is to it. It's more the DIY mindset and knowing the significant value of a saved dollar along with a dose of satisfaction. In the last 20 years I've self installed three Pella sliders with blinds inside (saved $3k), bypassed failed slab plumbing ($2k), master bath remodel ($5k), laminate flooring install ($3k), patio cover ($3k) and my biggest accomplishment, full kitchen remodel (I contracted out the granite but saved $8k+ overall). Many, many small projects too (<$1k). I don't do garage doors, carpets or major tree work.

I posted about my HVAC project because it stands out as initially intimidating but turned out to not be, was relatively easy. Glad to hear that others have had success doing this job themselves too. I personally don't know anyone who has.

I agree with others who've said that HVAC installation/replacement is not something I would want to DIY. Installing a new faucet or toilet? Sure... easy enough to learn by watching a few YouTube videos, and the required tools and parts are cheap. An entire HVAC system, part of which resides in a cramped, hot attic? Not so much. Paying to have someone with extensive skills and the physical wherewithal to get those big, heavy, bulky units up and into the attic, without damaging anything (myself or the HVAC!), and then making sure everything is properly connected, up to code, and running smoothly seems like a good way to spend money.

As a point of reference, I recently got a quote from a licensed HVAC contractor to install a new Amana system for my house here in metro Atlanta for $4,200.

I could probably do a mini-split w/ pre-charged lines running to a single indoor "cassette" but would not try to DIY replace my traditional split system.

We've got new neighbors that will hire someone for anything exceeding the difficulty of hanging a picture on the wall.

Spending/Saving a few thou on a HVAC contractor once or twice is not all there is to it. It's more the DIY mindset and knowing the significant value of a saved dollar along with a dose of satisfaction. In the last 20 years I've self installed three Pella sliders with blinds inside (saved $3k), bypassed failed slab plumbing ($2k), master bath remodel ($5k), laminate flooring install ($3k), patio cover ($3k) and my biggest accomplishment, full kitchen remodel (I contracted out the granite but saved $8k+ overall). Many, many small projects too (<$1k). I don't do garage doors, carpets or major tree work.

I know exactly where you're coming from. If I had to pay for every job task, I'd still be working.

A wall had to come down to remove my hot water heater when my heat pump was replaced last month. So I decided to demolish the shower I built 40 years ago. While I was at it, I took up the upstairs ceramic tile floor. Also replaced 6 bedroom and bath doors.

I spent today shoveling 2,000 lbs. of ceramic tile and old wonderboard into buckets and hauling up to my pickup truck.

I've already replaced all the kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors and drawers with painted raised panel doors. And the cabinet tops are all new granite. I have all new appliances to install, and wonder how the heck I'm going to get that 20 year old side by side fridge up the hill to haul it off?

May was spent taking down four 18" oak trees, one of which had to fall on my old heat pump. The worse part is carrying the stumps one by one up a steep hill 75 yards to a huge brush pile--which the county hauled off.

I just turned 71, and this is my last hurrah. I'm going into a defensive mode after this. At least until I finish laying 6 skids of sod and landscaping my swimming pool.

I think the driving car analogy was just to make a point, but we all draw the line somewhere. We've got new neighbors that will hire someone for anything exceeding the difficulty of hanging a picture on the wall.

I posted about my HVAC project because it stands out as initially intimidating but turned out to not be, was relatively easy. Glad to hear that others have had success doing this job themselves too. I personally don't know anyone who has.
I'm understanding the picture. Everyone has different perspective and experience. As an example, I've done plumbing, electrical and making cabinets from hardwood boards. At an advanced age and poor health I'm done with most of that. Earlier this year I paid a local plumber $1900 to fix at least half a dozen problems that accumulated over the years. Yeah, I was gonna get to that. Lol. It took a young guy with a lot of experience about 5 hours to take care of these things.

I live next door to a younger couple who both work and have three kids. Every day there's a delivery or a contractor showing up. Is that bad? Not really.

BTW, I did fix the leaky toilet valve after the plumber replaced the bad shutoff. So I still do have the DIY spirit.

I am 75 and put my furnace in a couple of weeks ago. that being said I would tackle most things mechanical. plumbing, electrical, hvac. but the guys who tear down walls and rebuild, plus do their own flooring, tile around tubs, sinks have my respect. that work sometimes takes more patience and ability than I possess. mainly I think it is all about what you can and want to do, compared to something you would rather pay someone else to do. it is kind of like working on a car. I can do most maintenance work, but when it comes to brake lines and exhaust, I get out my checkbook.

I know exactly where you're coming from. If I had to pay for every job task, I'd still be working.

A wall had to come down to remove my hot water heater when my heat pump was replaced last month. So I decided to demolish the shower I built 40 years ago. While I was at it, I took up the upstairs ceramic tile floor. Also replaced 6 bedroom and bath doors.

I spent today shoveling 2,000 lbs. of ceramic tile and old wonderboard into buckets and hauling up to my pickup truck.

I've already replaced all the kitchen and bathroom cabinet doors and drawers with painted raised panel doors. And the cabinet tops are all new granite. I have all new appliances to install, and wonder how the heck I'm going to get that 20 year old side by side fridge up the hill to haul it off?

May was spent taking down four 18" oak trees, one of which had to fall on my old heat pump. The worse part is carrying the stumps one by one up a steep hill 75 yards to a huge brush pile--which the county hauled off.

I just turned 71, and this is my last hurrah. I'm going into a defensive mode after this. At least until I finish laying 6 skids of sod and landscaping my swimming pool.

Good for you! I ripped out my ceramic bathroom floor tiles as well recently. 2 days of a pneumatic air chisel to get everything up and talk about a dirty hot dusty mess.:facepalm: Also reworked the bathroom layout to allow the washer/dryer to come up from the basement. So all new rough plumbing, wiring, laundry hookups etc.

Just finally finished showering the tile enclosure to mach the tiles I replaced the original with. It is looking very good but it is work! And heck I'm only 62:cool: Not only that but it is probably hotter in AL than NH.
The entire bathroom including all the wiring, rough plumbing, finish plumbing(new toilet and nice glass enclosed corner shower) all new tiling, proper waterproofing etc. has only cost me $1900-$2000. At todays plumbers/electricians/contractors cost I know it would easily be over $10k possibly quite a bit over. That included higher end shower fixtures etc, not some builder grade stuff.

We do, have done every aspect of home building. The biggest problem is most floor plans rarely take mechanicals into consideration so working on them is not the best time. Our current home I made the plenums, laid the duct and installed the furnace in it's final resting spot. It's a goodman and we've had no issues with it at all. Works great. I had two vehicles at the same time that needed ac repairs so just bought a good vaccum pump and did the trucks at the same time as the home. Being precharged works great so all one has to do is the vaccum and open the valves. i'm not sure that we even hit $4k for the whole system. Furnace, condensor, duct work, plenums, registers. I do remember soldering the lines for the condensor outside with the wind blowing about 70mph! Kept blowing my torch out and I was HOT! That part could have went better.

I'm a licensed Professional Engineer and I wouldn't touch a DIY HVAC project with a ten foot pole. I watched three guys spend three days installing a mini split unit in our great room to go with our two central HVAC units (upstairs and downstairs). They burned out a board and a pump and spent a 4th day the next week putting in an even larger condensate pump. They lost a fortune on that fixed price job! A man has to know his limitations...

About every interface I've had with the industry reinforces this idea. The technicians seem to be convinced they are geniuses that are doing customers a favor and that the customers are basically marks to be fleeced. A short time spent on the HeVac forums gleaning some information solidified this opinion.

I've read this several times and need to comment. I know quite a few HVAC professionals and this is just not true of all HVAC techs. I'm sure it is like any profession. These guys are hardworking, smart, and ethical. There is a lot that goes into heating and cooling systems. Thank you.

I'm a licensed Professional Engineer and I wouldn't touch a DIY HVAC project with a ten foot pole. I watched three guys spend three days installing a mini split unit in our great room to go with our two central HVAC units (upstairs and downstairs). They burned out a board and a pump and spent a 4th day the next week putting in an even larger condensate pump. They lost a fortune on that fixed price job! A man has to know his limitations...
I installed my own 18000 btu mini split last fall. Took my time and about a day and a half later all done. Looks professionally installed (I'm very picky) and total cost was $850 including the unit and all the wiring , breakers, disconnects etc. Was no where near as difficult as I imagined. It has been working perfectly with no issues. Very quiet and we love it.
The fact that I saved about $2500 for about 10-12 hours of actual work sure didn't hurt. I did not do it for that reason alone though it was a big part of it but also because I can never get contractors when I want them.:)

How it took 3 guys on your job, who supposedly knew what they were doing, 3 days and they still messed up is beyond me.

About every interface I've had with the industry reinforces this idea. The technicians seem to be convinced they are geniuses that are doing customers a favor and that the customers are basically marks to be fleeced. A short time spent on the HeVac forums gleaning some information solidified this opinion.

You've described 99.9% of industries out there today! I bought a truck and WARRANTY this past spring. Early summer the engine locked up. Thinking I had warranty I had the local stealership install a new $20k motor! Come to find out the dealer I bought the truck from had never activated the warranty and I had none. Now I am suing for a blatant breach of contract. So I go pick up the truck from our local stealer after they installed a new engine and a week later I'm up in the bed when I notice the rear window is melted from either welding sparks or a grinder. Rear window is ruined. I've not had the truck away from me so know for a fact it happened at the stealership. I thought it was mud as our property has been a bit muddy. Called today and they absolutely refuse to put in a new window. Acted like a total jerk. This after I just spent $20k with them. So now I will be putting a new window in my truck, MYSELF! Can't afford to let anyone touch our stuff. Only make more work for me. Our world is seriously in trouble!

I've read this several times and need to comment. I know quite a few HVAC professionals and this is just not true of all HVAC techs. I'm sure it is like any profession. These guys are hardworking, smart, and ethical. There is a lot that goes into heating and cooling systems. Thank you.
What I do know for a fact is that many / most HVac supply stores won't sell a simple AC part to a homeowner because they collude with the techs to keep repair costs high. Additionally, HVac manufacturers , except for Goodman and maybe another, will not sell to homeowners, again colluding with techs to keep costs high to consumers.

I'm sure you know some nice people in the industry, but it has a long history of shutting out the DIYer and keeping costs high in what I consider a barely legal price fixing scheme.

I'm a licensed Professional Engineer.........
Being a PE means you proved at one point in your life that you know how an air conditioner works but that is a lot different than understanding the intricacies of installing one. If I have a plumbing problem, I'd rather hire a high school drop out that has cleaned a thousand stopped up drains than a guy with a PhD in fluid dynamics.

I installed several mini splits DIY now and found they are not difficult either with just a few tools most do not have. The expense of the tools were more than covered with just 1 mini split install. I have not done a whole house unit but am giving it considerable thought. Only portion I would need help is like you, brazing the line set and N2 pressure test.
Thanks for the words of encouragement to give this a shot. I just might do it.

Well, we are having our 22-year old HVAC and furnace replaced in the house which we just bought, a 3 Ton and a 5 Ton. 10-year warranty + labor, total $20K. I figure once in 10 years worst case, $2K a year and we can live with the cost.

Being a PE means you proved at one point in your life that you know how an air conditioner works but that is a lot different than understanding the intricacies of installing one. If I have a plumbing problem, I'd rather hire a high school drop out that has cleaned a thousand stopped up drains than a guy with a PhD in fluid dynamics.

And I'm a chemical engineer, we are glorified plumbers at heart. But I'm not a carpenter or an electrician or a controls technician and the job required all three.

Something to consider.

https://www.goodmanmfg.com/support/internet-purchases

Internet Sales Policy
No warranty coverage is offered on Goodman brand equipment purchased by consumers over the Internet, including web-based auctions, telephone or other electronic means, unless the unit is installed by a dealer adhering to all applicable federal, state, and local codes, policies, and licensing requirements.

Something to consider.

https://www.goodmanmfg.com/support/internet-purchases

Internet Sales Policy
No warranty coverage is offered on Goodman brand equipment purchased by consumers over the Internet, including web-based auctions, telephone or other electronic means, unless the unit is installed by a dealer adhering to all applicable federal, state, and local codes, policies, and licensing requirements.

some states allow homeowners to buy hvac products from dealers and supply houses. and when you sign up for your warranty online at goodman it asks where it was purchased and then tells you the length of the warranty. remember the warranty covers parts for 10 years and heat exchanger for life of original owner. but not labor. so how much does the warranty really save you?

In the past I strongly considered replacing completely by myself my HVAC and studied the process in depth. I even considered getting EPA certification to be able to purchase refrigerant. The only thing that prevented me from following through was the equipment need to braze the line sets (oxyacetylene torch, tanks and regulators and nitrogen purge and pressure test gear). I already have the vacuum pump and manifold gauges.

But I have discovered it is now possible to solder (using propane or mapp gas) copper line sets to the condenser service valves and evaporator for R-410a systems using a silver-bearing solder named "Staybright 8". And per the A/C technician discussion threads I read, the nitrogen purge is not required because soldering temperatures do not get hot enough to cause air in the line set to oxidize the copper and contaminate the system. Here is a video on Staybright 8 soldering. Also read the comments that are posted. Very informative. https://youtu.be/YivwZFx7Ywo

Staynbright 8 is composed of 6% silver and 94% tin. https://www.supplyhouse.com/Harris-...aring-Solder-1-8-x-1-lb-Spool-94-Tin-6-Silver

Last edited:
Here is another great video about soldering vs. brazing refrigerant tubing. Brazed with and without nitrogen purge cut open joints are shown. Quite informative:
https://youtu.be/wJD712DB6S0

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom