Join Early Retirement Today

Hybrid Golf Clubs
Old 02-13-2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hybrid Golf Clubs

I am looking for new golf clubs and have a lot of people tell me that I should look at hybrid clubs. Anybody got any recommendations?

setab
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: Hybrid Golf Clubs
Old 02-13-2006, 01:40 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by setab
I am looking for new golf clubs and have a lot of people tell me that I should look at hybrid clubs.* Anybody got any recommendations?

setab
Setab: I have no idea what your skill-level is at, or what your ambitions are regarding your future in playing golf, but I have a "generic" idea of what you should do.

I've been playing golf for 40 plus years, and although I had precious little time to play when I was working with two small children, I've more than made up for it in the close to 20 years I've been retired.

I would hesitate to give you advice (and expect you to follow it), unless I gave you a little background. (Hopefully you will understand that it is given without a sense of ego applied).

I'll be 70 on my next birthday, and my handicap is the highest it's ever been. (Currently a 4).

I've been involved with Jr. Golf, and about 10 years ago, got my PGA card, and gave lessons for a year or so to the members of my club.

Okay, we got that out of the way.

Here's what I recommend:

There are many outlets to record your swing speed, and matching up that with your overall ability, they will be able to recommend the proper clubs that will be the most appropriate with your skill level. (Don't try to shortcut this, as it will only result in a frustrating search for the right clubs).

A good pro is well worth the money. He should be able to guide you to the proper outlet that will give you the proper foundation for the clubs that will be best for you.

Good luck, keep your left arm straight, your right arm tucked at impact, and grip it and rip it.

Jarhead

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #3

I'd stick with gasoline-only.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:00 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*

I'll be 70 on my next birthday, and my handicap is the highest it's ever been.* (Currently a 4).

That's* impressive! I got mine to a 7 once but probably around 10 now. Hope I can get it back to single digits when I retire.*
Old 02-13-2006, 04:25 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOG51
That's* impressive! I got mine to a 7 once but probably around 10 now. Hope I can get it back to single digits when I retire.*
Dog51: If I remember from prev. posts you are in your 50's. The best golf I ever played was in my 50's. (Was raising family till then, and didn't have much time to play).

If you were good enough to play to a 7 at a point in your life, you no doubt will be able to get to single digits again.

Regardless where your ambitions lie regarding handicap, etc. you will never be retired, and wondering what to do with your time if you care about golf as much as I do. (I envy your age).

Hit em long and straight. (Or maybe with a slight draw).

Regards, Jarhead

Jarhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 04:58 PM   #6

In my mid fifties, retired and playing the best golf of my life, even had a hole in one last year. Every year there are new and improved ways for the manufacturers and marketers to get your money. I agree with DOG51, go to a pro, get lessons, fitted or whatever and then enjoy. I know guys that buy the latest and greatest clubs and gadgets damn near every year. I still smile when I beat them (consistently) with my old Callaways.

Can't impress enough though about practicing the short game.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:18 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

I started playing with a crappy, cheap set of clubs. When I got a little money, I upgraded to a really nice, very expensive set. NEVER could hit them like my old clubs. I figured after a while I'd get better with them. Never did.

On the other hand I bought my dad a really nice Adams driver for his birthday a couple of years ago, and he hits about 30 yards further with that club than any of his other drivers. On the other hand, he's a great golfer and I suck!
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 05:30 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

So you know. I've only got below 80 once, used to shoot in the mid 80's until a few years ago when I couldn't play enough or practice. When I consistently broke 100 the wrong way, I hung things up. Haven't even had a club in my hand for the past 3-4 years, but I miss the game. My only real plans for March 4 (the day after I retire) is to find a course that is open or an indoor range (I live in Iowa) and start swinging again. Lessons are definitely in the plans too. I like the idea of finding a pro and having him check things out; good suggestion. Thanks. Fore!

setab
Old 02-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarhead*
Dog51:* If I remember from prev. posts you are in your 50's.* The best golf I ever played was in my 50's.* (Was raising family till then, and didn't have much time to play).

(I envy your age).
You may be playing golf for many years to come. Johhny Vaught, former head football coach at Ole Miss, died at the age of 94 last week and he was playing golf right up until the end. He was Mississippi's version of Bear Bryant and attended all the games just this past season.

Keep hitting those balls.......you may have another 20 years on the course.*
Old 02-13-2006, 08:17 PM   #10
Dryer sheet aficionado

Setab:

I will preface my advice by disclosing the fact that I suck at golf. I think that you should listen to Jarhead's comments. I do not own hybrid clubs but many of the people I play with do. They tell me that they are easier to hit than a long iron.
chrisdut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 08:32 PM   #11

If you are looking for a set of game improvement irons, I highly recommend the Callaway X-14 irons. I got a used set in good shape with graphite shafts for under $300 off ebay.
soupcxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 06:58 PM   #12
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have been using hybrid's for the past couple of years since I lost distance off the tee. I carry three of them now and would much rather choke down on a hybrid then hit a five iron. I do not carry a 3 or 4 iron. For me at least hybrid's are much easier to launch then any long iron. Hybrid's pretty much saved my game and allow me to keep up with the much longer hitters.

Jerry
fourwaystreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2016, 08:49 PM   #13

Ten years since my last post in this thread and I too have gone with hybrids, 4,5 & 6 and actually use a 19 degree loft hybrid more often than not off the tee. On good days pretty much keep it in the 80s. Short game practice has fallen off as well as putting, since I don't practice or play as much as I used to.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:21 PM   #14
Confused about dryer sheets

Instead of long irons and even fairway woods, I use hybrids. They are relatively easy to hit both off the tee and from the fairway. I usually will hit an iron from the rough as I do not like how the hybrid interacts with the turf.
supalong52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:10 AM   #15
gone traveling

My irons stop at a 5, and for hybrids just a 3 & 4. I also hate those long shafted drivers, so usually hit a Callaway XHot 3 Deep off the tee. Just wish I could putt, as you'll never score well with too many 3 putts.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 06:27 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Old thread resurfaces. I miss old Jarhead. Based on his post above, he should be around 80 today. Hope he's well.

I recently replaced my 4 and 5 irons with hybrids. Just easier to hit. My bag consists of a driver, strong 3 wood(13*), regular 3 wood(15*), 5 wood, 22*&25* hybrids, 6-s/w irons and a putter. I've accepted that I'm a geezer so might as well play geezer golf.
Old 07-03-2016, 07:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
I also hate those long shafted drivers, so usually hit a Callaway XHot 3 Deep off the tee.
Agree, the first thing I do when buying a new driver is to remove the grip and cut ~1.5" off the shaft. The average driver length on the PGA Tour is 44.5", most of the new drivers off the shelf are close to 46".
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 08:26 AM   #18

Interesting and good timing..I'm a new golfer and struggle with the long irons. I haven't hit a hybrid enough to figure out if they are for me, but everyone highly recommends I go to them.. it's vendor day Thursday at the pro shop..might drop in and eavesdrop...
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote