Already have 1 or more 17 16.50%
In 1-2 year 7 6.80%
In 3-5 years 26 25.24%
In 6-10 years 18 17.48%
Never 35 33.98%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Hybrid Vehicles - When Will you purchase one
Old 05-04-2008, 02:25 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Hybrid Vehicles - When Will you purchase one

I was wondering when you think you may purchase a Hybrid vehicle. A real Hybrid with a combination of electric motor/batteries and internal combustion engine combo (not the so called mild hybrid)

It seems that the auto manufacturers have about 15 of them available and are planning to deliver more models as hybrids

Please comment.

[Clarification 1]
The Poll is not about your current dissatisfaction with the technology or state of things today as it is about your views of when you think things will be in a shape or economically viable for you to make the move. Vote in the poll with this POV

Obviously if you do not own one today (you are not an early adopter) you have a reason. Comment about this.
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2008, 02:29 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

In two or three years when the Prius becomes a brand instead of a model, and when they come out with a two-banger plug-in Hybrid that gets over 100 mpg that can be charged from my solar system without adding extra panels. This will be for city/local driving only, not cross country.

R
Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 02:51 AM   #3
Give me a forum ...

never! until they are priced the same as conventional models so i stand a chance of recuping the premium

never until resale value stabilizes and they stop dropping in value sooooo much faster than conventional cars as technology moves fast in hybrids and old technology drops value like a rock

never with those batteries costing 3,000 bucks, imagine buying a car you know will need a tranny for sure.

never until insurance companies stop charging more to cover the fact if you are hit in the back and the batteries are hit its big bucks.

never
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:25 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
never! until they are priced the same as conventional models so i stand a chance of recuping the premium

never until resale value stabilizes and they stop dropping in value sooooo much faster than conventional cars as technology moves fast in hybrids and old technology drops value like a rock

never with those batteries costing 3,000 bucks, imagine buying a car you know will need a tranny for sure.

never until insurance companies stop charging more to cover the fact if you are hit in the back and the batteries are hit its big bucks.

never
Ok.

But the poll was more about you predicting when you think things will shape up to be acceptable. I assume you think it will take more than 10 years?
chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:28 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Ill buy one when i see some real savings and value
Old 05-04-2008, 03:47 AM   #6
Full time employment: Posting here.

I've read analysts who say that by around 2015 virtually all production car models sold will be hybrids. That may be optimistic, but at some point (long before 'never') they'll solve the problems mentioned by mathjak.
Old 05-04-2008, 03:52 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Who's responsible for the batteries when it needs changed, or you get into an accident and the car's totaled? Are they considered hazardous waste and require costs to get rid of or anything?
RetiredGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 03:56 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

you have to pay to dispose of them, they are hazadous waste. its a few hundred bucks in shipping and recycling fees. oh did the dealer forget to mention that!
Prius Hybrid warranty
Old 05-04-2008, 05:54 AM   #9
Recycles dryer sheets

Prius Hybrid warranty

price about $22,500
warranty one of the best in the industry.
Battery coverage is 8 years 100,000 miles or more. Click on link below look at the last line.

Toyota Warranty and Coverage
Old 05-04-2008, 05:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

so throw the car away after 8 yeaers
Warranty
Old 05-04-2008, 06:03 AM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Warranty

As the post said read the last line. This would mean 8 years or longer

The HV battery may have longer coverage under emissions warranty. Refer to applicable Owner's Warranty Information booklet for details.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:05 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I hope they do get things worked out over the next few years. If so, I would buy one.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:22 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Since I dont drive very long distances often, an electric would work well for me. But the electricity would be made by burning natural gas...

The Hybrid in the meanwhile seems to be twice the complexity, a lot of extra weight, a lot of hazardous waste to dispose of, and while you can warranty the heck out of it I still need to go sit in the waiting room at the dealership for it to get fixed.

I dont see people with a lot of problems with theirs, but I dont see a lot of people with 6-10 year old hybrids of any kind.

I'd probably be more inclined to buy a more efficient gas engine car with perhaps a simple regenerative system for capturing braking and downhill coasting or just go with a pure electric.

I have this feeling that hybrids are another one of those things that seems like a good idea, but a few years later creates a whole second set of problems.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 06:35 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

i voted 6-10 years, but only if hybrids are at the same or better value than conventional vehicles, and also having all of their issues worked out
Ronstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Hubrid
Old 05-04-2008, 06:39 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Hubrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
Since I dont drive very long distances often, an electric would work well for me. But the electricity would be made by burning natural gas...

The Hybrid in the meanwhile seems to be twice the complexity, a lot of extra weight, a lot of hazardous waste to dispose of, and while you can warranty the heck out of it I still need to go sit in the waiting room at the dealership for it to get fixed.

I dont see people with a lot of problems with theirs, but I dont see a lot of people with 6-10 year old hybrids of any kind.

I'd probably be more inclined to buy a more efficient gas engine car with perhaps a simple regenerative system for capturing braking and downhill coasting or just go with a pure electric.

I have this feeling that hybrids are another one of those things that seems like a good idea, but a few years later creates a whole second set of problems.
Weight under 3,000 lb with full gas tank

December 10, 1997 - Prius goes on sale to the public in Japan, fully two years ahead of any other manufacturer. First-year sales are nearly 18,000.

About 11 years in production

Weight distribution is 50% over front 50% over back because of the battery placement. Makes this vehicle track very well in the winter months
Old 05-04-2008, 06:54 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

I saw some show where they said Hybrids were not the solution and that they would not be in production in 10 or so years... some new technology will takes its place...

Now, if you say fuel cell is a hybrid... then maybe when they are good... I will buy one... but I voted 'never'
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boots View Post
Weight under 3,000 lb with full gas tank

December 10, 1997 - Prius goes on sale to the public in Japan, fully two years ahead of any other manufacturer. First-year sales are nearly 18,000.

About 11 years in production

Weight distribution is 50% over front 50% over back because of the battery placement. Makes this vehicle track very well in the winter months
So about 300-700lbs more than a comparably sized gas motor car.

What are the reliability and warranty claims filed on those 11 year old vehicles and what are the annual owner maintenance costs on them? That they've been around for 11 years isnt very informative.

Heck, I saw a 50 year old chevy yesterday. Bet its had some work done on it.

As for snow handling...I've found 50/50 cars do well on dry roads but can be a little tail heavy when taking turns (like entrance/exit ramps) in slippery conditions.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:22 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

I have nothing "against" hybrids and will buy one when it is the most economical and reliable option (for me). Hybrids still aren't for me, though they are getting closer. I think we don't have the information necessary to predict when they will reach this point. Government and the automotive and insurance industries can all affect how good of a deal a hybrid would be for me.

I voted "never" because I will probably buy another Camry Solara in 2010 when I am 62, and drive it until sometime in my 70's when I will stop driving completely due to age.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:39 AM   #19
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I'd prefer an all-electric car.... and some solar panels

If a hybrid, then I'd prefer a diesel pluggable.... and a bio-diesel distiller and some solar panels.

I'm hoping I have some good options in 2-3 years.
Marquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Have always owned smallish cars, bought a hybrid last year and the mileage is stunning. Like most if not all hybrid owners, we understood the payback would be long (although getting shorter every day). But there are other reasons to own a hybrid, significantly lower emissions is but one. Everyone understands that hybrids are not ideal and an interim approach until all-electric, fuel cells or some other technology comes along. You can either do something to reduce consumpton and emissions (10% of the oldest cars on the road are putting out 50% of the emissions) in the meantime, or wait on electric, fuel cells or whatever you think is the answer. But those technologies have a long way to go, and the day they are the 'economic' best choice are likely decades away.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote