Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 11:41 AM   #101
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Aja, I vote and will continue...But in reality for presidential elections only about a half dozen states or so need bother to pull out the ballot boxes. And your state (Texas) and mine (MO) need not bother, lol.
Actually, all states in their entirety matter in the Presidential election.

That was the way it was purposely designed, from the beginning. No one state, via corruption or other means, could distort the election so much that the majority of the votes in that single state cancelled out all the votes from the other states.

In addition, no one politician could bribe a single state, with all the federal dollars coming from the other states, in return for a vote from the people from that favored state.

It seems to work as designed.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Doomsday fatigue
Old 10-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #102

Doomsday fatigue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
2020 will be the most important vote in the history of this country.
I have heard that every election dating back to 1968. That's as far back as I can remember, but I speculate it was being said earlier. One could ponder whether hyperbole might be a factor in low voter turnout.

Consider instead the words of the late Mohandas Gandhi, whose 150th birthday just recently passed: "Be the change you want to see in the world."
Old 10-25-2019, 12:11 PM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I have an idea! On every ballot right at the top, there should be 10 selected intelligence/constitutional knowledge questions, if you do not answer them or get less than 5/10 your vote should be voided.
Actually I have always thought a barcode would be good at the top. That way, all ballots get accounted for. Total voters, plus blank ballots, = ballots originally assigned.

At the end of the day, all leftover ballots would get put through the machine as blank ballots and sealed. They would all be time stamped.

Does that ballot reconciliation process happen anyway, but manually?
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Old 10-25-2019, 12:41 PM   #104
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The way we look at it is "the closer to home, the more important the vote".

That is, what our mayor decides impacts our life 1000 times more on a day to day basis than what anyone in DC might decide.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:51 PM   #105

"If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice." - Gary L. Weinrib
Old 10-25-2019, 12:57 PM   #106
Recycles dryer sheets

I suggest you ask President Al Gore or President Hillary Clinton if this is a good idea.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:01 PM   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm going to be a contrarian here...

Some people just shouldn't vote. One lady in line at the polling place explained to my wife that she just went down the list and marked "yes, no, yes, no," alternating until she got to the end. Yes, she did her civic duty and voted. But it probably would have been better for all of us if she hadn't.

Likewise anyone who doesn't make an effort to understand the issues and the candidates before voting. I've been known to leave some ballot questions blank if I just don't feel I'm qualified to decide. Otherwise, I may be supporting something or someone that's against my best interests.

That old saying, "democracy requires an educated electorate" comes to mind. That doesn't mean an elite, ivy-league education. It means you've taken the time to learn how the questions on the ballot may affect you and your community, and genuinely want to contribute to a better society.

If you can't do that, I'd rather you just stay home.

And don't even get me started about those who just vote a straight party line, and support every member of their party, no matter what they do or how damaging their policies are to their constituents.
+1.

Winston Churchill has been quoted as saying,

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

Old 10-25-2019, 01:19 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
When the Majority of voters can get overruled by an antiquated system.

The list goes on.
One man's antique is another man's sacred scroll, but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:21 PM   #109
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
Aja, I vote and will continue...But in reality for presidential elections only about a half dozen states or so need bother to pull out the ballot boxes. And your state (Texas) and mine (MO) need not bother, lol.
I have been a frustrated voter in Texas since the 90's but I refuse to give up. Texas is an example where changing demographics are affecting the political climate and we are becoming more of a toss-up state in terms of national politics. State politics have major obstacles such as gerrymandering and urban/rural divide but I think that is more of a generational issue. IMO, the most important issue is NEVER GIVING UP which translates to voter turnout!!!
I am retired...from voting
Old 10-25-2019, 01:30 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

I am retired...from voting

I recall one time (not recently) I did cast a vote in a national election that I later regretted. That realization affected my vote in subsequent elections. I didn’t feel guilt or anything, just that I really hadn’t thought it through.

It’s a good thing that it was just my one vote on balance. Of course my vote didn’t swing any election results but it was worth something, however small, in the bigger picture.

Old 10-25-2019, 01:32 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator View Post
Actually, all states in their entirety matter in the Presidential election.

That was the way it was purposely designed, from the beginning. No one state, via corruption or other means, could distort the election so much that the majority of the votes in that single state cancelled out all the votes from the other states.

In addition, no one politician could bribe a single state, with all the federal dollars coming from the other states, in return for a vote from the people from that favored state.

It seems to work as designed.
+1

Actually, the reason we even HAVE a country (called USA) is BECAUSE of this particular system. Numerous "systems" were considered and rejected. The founders especially and specifically rejected the parliamentary system and went for the (acceptable - as in gag, spit-or-swallow, but finally, grudgingly accept) compromise of a democratic republic - not a pure democracy. The other reason is that we have a Senate, not just a Peoples House - but I may be straying into politics. My intent was strictly history, not politics but YMMV.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Old 10-25-2019, 01:33 PM   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I don’t care if anyone chooses not to vote, but someone is electing these bozos...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
+1.

Winston Churchill has been quoted as saying,

"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter."

Even Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez was elected.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:05 PM   #113

Thanks for the interesting discussion.

Closed Thread