I am retired...from voting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have to admit I’ve abstained for voting on judges rationalizing that I didn’t know enough about their rulings to say whether they should continue or not. It’s more difficult to research them enough to form an opinion but it’s become much more important to me in the last few years.

I’ll be voting (and actively supporting the whole voting process) as long as I’m able.

I visited Monowi, NE this spring. Population 1. The smallest town in North America.

Whether or not Elsie's vote counts in a National Election, I am not sure. But it keeps getting her elected Mayor in her town. She wins by 1 vote every election.

In my own elections, since I have several rental properties, I show up with a utility bill for each one in a different precinct and am able to vote several times.

Last edited:
I vote. I vote in a district that is solidly in the grasp of the other party. I could easily say my vote doesn’t count, but I vote. I don’t know the number, but I think it’s unfortunate that such a small percentage of our citizenry vote. Even in terms of registered voters, the turnout can be small at times.

I, too, tend to vote for members of the party opposite the significant majority party. I always vote, and that includes this upcoming one via absentee ballot.
I do remember one gubernatorial race where I voted for the other issues and candidates, but did not vote for either gubernatorial candidate. For different reasons they were equally distasteful to me.

I'll admit, I didn't vote in 2016, because I was in Aruba that week. I could have done early voting, I guess. But, this is one instance where I feel my vote really doesn't matter. I live in Maryland. Maryland almost ALWAYS votes democratic, and by a wide margin. If I wanted to vote Republican, it would have not made any difference. And if I had wanted to vote Democrat, it would not have made any difference either, since one more vote in a landslide would make no difference.

In 2016, I was also living in a county that was heavily Democrat, so my vote wouldn't have mattered, either way, on local issues most likely. Now, if everybody else thought the same way I do, we'd have a problem!!

I'm now in a county that, while more Republican, is not as heavily lopsided as the old county was. So next time around, one vote would make more of a difference.

I visited Monowi, NE this spring. Population 1. The smallest town in North America.

Whether or not Elsie's vote counts in a National Election, I am not sure. But it keeps getting her elected Mayor in her town. She wins by 1 vote every election.

In my own elections, since I have several rental properties, I show up with a utility bill for each one in a different precinct and am able to vote several times.

:facepalm: You might want to rethink your voting strategy...

Florida

Fla. Stat. Ann. §104.18

Except as provided in s. 101.6952, whoever willfully votes more than one ballot at any election commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

:facepalm: You might want to rethink your voting strategy...

Florida

Fla. Stat. Ann. §104.18

Except as provided in s. 101.6952, whoever willfully votes more than one ballot at any election commits a felony of the third degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

My parents all vote in multiple precincts too. They would have never done that while they were alive.

If you vote for me, I promise to do what I've already decided to do

I always vote. Representative democracy may be a terrible form of government, but all the others are worse.

What ever my fellow Americans vote for is what I will comply with.
We either comply or we rebel. I haven't been a rebel since 1776.

I trust you all will not disappoint me.
Expect to be disappointed often, although seldom surprised.

On the other hand, I do think that old farts' votes should count less than youngsters. The kids have more invested in the future than I do.

I think we old farts owe the next generation our collective wisdom as recompense for the slab of problems they'll inherit.

This is interesting, and disconcerting. I had never considered that this would be public record. I just checked, and in my state, name, address, DOB, voting history, and voting district is available to anyone for non-commercial use for a fee. I don't like this. This won't keep me from voting, but I certainly understand why it would keep people from doing so.

By the way, in case anyone is interested, here is the list of access to and contents of voter registration lists by state:

http://www.ncsl.org/research/electi...s-to-and-use-of-voter-registration-lists.aspx

You can register to vote and not list a party affiliation. It may prevent you from voting in primary elections but you can still vote in a general election.

Grew up being taught voting is a civic duty. Once or twice missed it because out of country and had not thought to get absentee. No matter how miserable the choices, I make one. Unless they're obscure offices for which I have no idea how to differentiate the candidate. Democracy is a true privilege that needs to be protected by engaged electorate. Not a veteran, but if I were I think I'd take umbrage at citizens who turn their noses up at voting.

I cherish my right to vote. Women had to fight hard to get it.

After voting for nearly 50 years, I am now retired from voting. I now believe that my single vote does not count. Why not take the the the minimal effort to cast my vote? I have other things to do. I participate by viewing political discussions on cable TV to get a sense of what my fellow Americans think about the issues and candidates.

What ever my fellow Americans vote for is what I will comply with. I trust you all will not disappoint me.

I understand that your motivation is to stir up a reaction from the board, and you are well within your rights with your position, but your post makes me sad.

I never registered to vote in my life ... until the November elections last year.

I always thought that my vote didn't matter. However, seeing what has taken place in our government over the past few years, I could not sit by idly and have my vote wasted any longer.

And so it goes. I live in a state that has gone from one color way over to another color. About 90% of the things they pass through the legislature or through initiative petition I don't agree with. But I fill out my little old ballot and send it in and someday over the rainbow skies are blue. I mean there's hope.

I'm going to be a contrarian here...

Some people just shouldn't vote. One lady in line at the polling place explained to my wife that she just went down the list and marked "yes, no, yes, no," alternating until she got to the end. Yes, she did her civic duty and voted. But it probably would have been better for all of us if she hadn't.

Likewise anyone who doesn't make an effort to understand the issues and the candidates before voting. I've been known to leave some ballot questions blank if I just don't feel I'm qualified to decide. Otherwise, I may be supporting something or someone that's against my best interests.

That old saying, "democracy requires an educated electorate" comes to mind. That doesn't mean an elite, ivy-league education. It means you've taken the time to learn how the questions on the ballot may affect you and your community, and genuinely want to contribute to a better society.

If you can't do that, I'd rather you just stay home.

And don't even get me started about those who just vote a straight party line, and support every member of their party, no matter what they do or how damaging their policies are to their constituents.

Last edited:
I never registered to vote in my life ... until the November elections last year.

I always thought that my vote didn't matter. However, seeing what has taken place in our government over the past few years, I could not sit by idly and have my vote wasted any longer.

I think a lot of folk will realize the errors in their ways after the last few years and hopefully make a proper difference for the better next time round.

... Some people just shouldn't vote. ...

That old saying, "democracy requires an educated electorate" comes to mind. ...
+1 I recently read a story about problems with tornado warnings somewhere in "tornado alley." The warnings were communicated using maps and it was found that a significant fraction of the audience (aka potential voters) could not place themselves on a map.

I’d be very unhappy if I were denied the right to vote, as many in the US were for a very long time. It’s not to be taken lightly.

A person should get as many votes as the amount they pay in taxes. Like a company board election.

Exactly. We have the best government money can buy.

Government for the rich by the rich!

My dad hit the beaches on D-Day, was willing to die for his country. I will always honor his sacrifice to our nation by voting in our free country.

I will vote to the day I die. It is one of the greatest privileges I have.

I vote,(even if it feel more like choosing how one whats to be executed) if for no other reason to say at times "Don't blame me, I didn't vote for <name of whatever incumbent is being discussed>" :)

Exactly. We have the best government money can buy. Government for the rich by the rich!

Spot on! How come they managed to hoodwink the rest of the not so rich folk to vote for them also?

I agree with whoever said one needs to pass a (basic intelligence) test to vote. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom