Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2019, 08:12 AM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I'm going to be a contrarian here...

Some people just shouldn't vote. One lady in line at the polling place explained to my wife that she just went down the list and marked "yes, no, yes, no," alternating until she got to the end. Yes, she did her civic duty and voted. But it probably would have been better for all of us if she hadn't.

Likewise anyone who doesn't make an effort to understand the issues and the candidates before voting. I've been known to leave some ballot questions blank if I just don't feel I'm qualified to decide. Otherwise, I may be supporting something or someone that's against my best interests.

That old saying, "democracy requires an educated electorate" comes to mind. That doesn't mean an elite, ivy-league education. It means you've taken the time to learn how the questions on the ballot may affect you and your community, and genuinely want to contribute to a better society.

If you can't do that, I'd rather you just stay home.

And don't even get me started about those who just vote a straight party line, and support every member of their party, no matter what they do or how damaging their policies are to their constituents.
+1
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2019, 08:17 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by target2019 View Post
Your last thoughts there are how it works. We're greatful for your support...

Whenever I'm discouraged by the political, I think of how my vote cancels out that of one uneducated hateful voter.

A second thought is that some have put their lives in jeopardy for my rights. I've met and worked with young people who give me hope. So I vote.
Well said.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:26 AM   #83
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
From one of the Carlin videos I shared...

+ 1

George Carlin said it well

If you vote, you have no reason to complain. You contributed to the problem, not the non-voters. Non-voters were minding their business, contributing to society

https://sheepheads.wordpress.com/201...t-to-complain/

“If voting actually changed anything, they would make it illegal”
Old 10-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

New York has some unusual ballot access laws. One of them is to allow minor parties to cross-endorse the candidates from major party candidates so they appear on multiple ballot lines. Sometimes, candidates are cross-endorsed by both major parties, so we voters have nearly no viable choices as to whom to vote for. This happens a lot with judgeships. Combine these cross-endorsement deals with some candidates who run unopposed, and a ballot can several offices where we voters have no real choices. Sometimes, I skip those races when voting.

In my county, one party had dominated local politics for decades until about 20 years ago. In the last 20 years, we have had more competitive elections at the local level and for districts in the state legislature and US House. Party control has swung back and forth in many offices. And with the minor party cross-endorsement system I described above, those minor party lines have sometimes determined the winner of close races in recent years.

New York introduced early voting this year, so I wonder if that will increase voter turnout in this off-year election.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 10-25-2019, 08:37 AM   #85
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancyfrank232 View Post
“If voting actually changed anything, they would make it illegal”

I don’t care if anyone chooses not to vote, but someone is electing these bozos...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 10-25-2019, 08:45 AM   #86

2020 will be the most important vote in the history of this country.
Old 10-25-2019, 08:47 AM   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
You don't have to worry, many dead people that are voting will make up for you. Also, the voters with fake ID and illegals that cast ballots won't disappoint you either.

Then we have the fake mail in ballots to relieve your concerns and also the folks that mess with the counting of ballots.

You are covered.
Fake starts at the top
Old 10-25-2019, 09:07 AM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripper1 View Post
2020 will be the most important vote in the history of this country.
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:08 AM   #89
Administrator

[MOD HAT ON] Careful. It would be a shame to get this thread closed. [MOD HAT OFF]
Old 10-25-2019, 09:24 AM   #90

The most important vote will be when I'm on the ballot

Post deleted by author
Old 10-25-2019, 09:54 AM   #91
Give me a forum ...

I have an idea! On every ballot right at the top, there should be 10 selected intelligence/constitutional knowledge questions, if you do not answer them or get less than 5/10 your vote should be voided.
Old 10-25-2019, 09:57 AM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I have an idea! On every ballot right at the top, there should be 10 selected intelligence/constitutional knowledge questions, if you do not answer them or get less than 5/10 your vote should be voided.
But. But. But ... That will disenfranchise the people who don't know anything.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:03 AM   #93
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldShooter View Post
But. But. But ... That will disenfranchise the people who don't know anything.
And that is bad how?

Think if it this way, You have a Multi Million Dollar Boat, the navigation needs repairing or replacing, and the passenger safety systems need checking, this potentially affects the lives of hundreds maybe even thousands of people, do you hire Molly Maid to do the job, or a qualified boat builder with sophisticated Nav. and safety equipment credentials and experience. You probably would get some references too. Again....
Old 10-25-2019, 10:33 AM   #94

Quote:
I think the Voting Rights Act of 1965 put that idea to rest already. It's called voter suppression.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:38 AM   #95
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beststash View Post
It's called voter suppression.
Funny, seems to be alive and well in some areas.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:44 AM   #96

Quote:
Literacy tests have a long and malevolent history in the United States.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:48 AM   #97
Give me a forum ...

On a serious note, yes some of my last posts were tongue in cheek for those who do not get it.

I can understand why some folk do not vote, although I do. The system is not fair. When those with plenty of money can buy max advertising and lobby for their causes and those without cannot, it is not fair.

When the Majority of voters can get overruled by an antiquated system. When local governments can change the voting areas to favor certain voters.

The list goes on.
Old 10-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #98
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Steve View Post
Don't vote = Don't complain.
WADR, this is one of the platitudes I shake my head at. Please think a bit deeper than a bumper sticker slogan, this is a serious issue that deserves more than that.

Many of us live in states that are dominated by one party. It really is pointless and a delusion to think my one vote would change anything (regardless if I support the party in or out of power), in a national election.

On top of that, I often dislike ALL the candidates (even/especially the third party ones). Why should I honor any of them with my vote? I feel OK complaining about that. I suppose the alternative is to run for office myself, but that is also a delusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixonge View Post
From one of the Carlin videos I shared..

Quote:
And secondly I don’t vote because I believe if you vote, you have no right to complain.

People like to twist that around, I know. they say – they say well: “If you don’t vote you have no right to complain”, but where’s the logic in that? If you vote and you elect dishonest, incompetent people, they get into office and screw everything up, well, you are responsible for what they have done. You caused the problem, you voted them in. You have no right to complain. I, on the other hand, who did not vote? – who did not vote? Who, in fact, did not even leave the house on election day, am in no way responsible for what these people have done and have every right to complain as loud as I want about the mess that you people created and that I have nothing to do with.
Very good, and I'll take it a step further. I'd say one can view refraining from voting as an actual positive action. If a majority of us stopped voting, as a signal that we don't respect any of the candidates, that would open up the field for more candidates that were really willing to work for the people and the country.

In a similar vein, when push comes to shove, it seems the independents have a lot of power. Most candidates can count on a large % of their base, so they need to appeal to independents, who are more likely actually thinking about issues and solutions than those that are hard line for one or the other party.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
I still vote. Once in a great while, there's actually a choice or two on a ballot - not often. Realistically, this is a one party town. If you are for that party, you don't need to vote. If you are not of that party, there's no point.

Still, I vote. I absolutely am against mandatory voting, but I'm almost as passionate that I should vote, even though my vote rarely could even conceivably make a difference.

If we all give up and don't vote, NOTHING can change. If we DO vote, it's still a theoretical that something might change. YMMV
Despite what I wrote above, that's pretty much my feeling, though I do refrain from voting for some offices, and place a my vote as an "against" one rather than "for" the other.

Related to all this, there is a positive, non-partisan change that we could all work for, and it is hard to imagine anyone being against it (other than the powers that be). And I keep thinking that I should be actively working to promote this change, and that would be far more meaningful than my vote. I'll start a new thread later.

-ERD50
Old 10-25-2019, 10:54 AM   #99

Quote:
On a serious note, yes some of my last posts were tongue in cheek for those who do not get it.

I can understand why some folk do not vote, although I do. The system is not fair. When those with plenty of money can buy max advertising and lobby for their causes and those without cannot, it is not fair.

When the Majority of voters can get overruled by an antiquated system. When local governments can change the voting areas to favor certain voters.

The list goes on.
+1
Old 10-25-2019, 11:23 AM   #100

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
I vote every election, don't try to dodge jury duty and don't think my taxes are too high.

Geeze.

Same here.

Luckily I’ve had few hardships. My parents on the other hand sacrificed by leaving their home country and immigrating to the US so their kids would have more opportunity.

Participating in our system is an easy way for me to pay respect.