Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-03-2021, 05:32 PM   #41

I use it for both the faster shipping and streaming video. The shows are not static, they do change from time to time.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2021, 09:41 AM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I just checked the prime video line up. Honestly there is nothing new there, nothing that is not available from other sources that I have. OK if you like re-runs I suppose, but we only watch anything once. My friend tells me the music is good but I do not listen to a lot of music and what I like is on my pre-made USB playlists.
Earler I thought of the series "Mrs. Maisel." Last night I went to Prime Video and found a new season for "Bosch." Some of these Amazon productions may be beneath your radar, but very entertaining.

WRT your USB playlists, they work well enough. I hardly do that anymore, and stream from my phone or desktop. On Sunday we had a party that consisted of bridesmaids (30 y.o.). In my office I turned on a Spotify playlist called "Wedding Party". I didn't prepare it, and it took no effort. And yes, it turned out to be a never-ending list of music you'd hear at a wedding reception. Some remarked that my playlist was one of the best ever. Lol! So I got some kudos.

It does take some reading to find what streaming is superior, as there are many (too many) titles.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2021, 09:58 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...

Last February we paid for our Prime membership with free money. Our Navy Flagship credit card ($49 annual fee) picked up $130 of the Prime $129.49 annual fee. Not a bad deal at all, and the main reason we still have the Navy card.

In the absence of free money we would still pay the Prime fee without hesitation for the shipping, music and tv. To say nothing of the way Alexa listens in on us and offers to send us things and remove money from our accounts without our even doing anything. And yes Alexa, I should pass on that extra slice of pizza as the sodium level is too high and you can tell my blood pressure is trending out of range..

Maybe the last part is bogus. We really do find value in Prime though.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:37 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
In this day and age you need digital picture storage somewhere.
Some people do. I rarely take pics so my entire collection is stored on my phone with plenty of room to spare.

We have Amazon Prime but have used it so little lately, both ordering products and streaming that we'll probably cancel it.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 11:42 AM   #45
Give me a forum ...

Well Over the last day I have done a fairly good in depth look at Prime Video. Other than "Reminding" me of a few things I may like to see, I did not find anything compelling. Nothing that was not available elsewhere. Amazon originals or otherwise.

However, I have since ordered a few more things from Amazon, and the Shipping, some in one day is quite compelling. I do not know who benefits from this more, Bezos or me. I probably would not have purchased a couple of items otherwise.

I always used to resist Amazon in favor of other sites that did not charge Sales tax, but now they all do. So Amazon may be the answer, if not for shipping alone.

I will need to watch the prices as Amazon was never the most cost site effective to buy something from, maybe the shipping makes up for that too.
Old 08-05-2021, 11:58 AM   #46
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Don't have prime and never plan to.

Anything Amazon tries to push so hard must be extremely profitable for them. If I do buy something on Amazon, there is usually a free shipping option without prime, and it is usually delivered as fast as if I would have had prime.

It's just something else you didn't know you needed to pay for until Bezos told you that you needed it.
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:52 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
However, I have since ordered a few more things from Amazon, and the Shipping, some in one day is quite compelling. I do not know who benefits from this more, Bezos or me. I probably would not have purchased a couple of items otherwise.
And that's the main reason I don't want it!
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 01:58 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Don't have prime and never plan to.

Anything Amazon tries to push so hard must be extremely profitable for them. If I do buy something on Amazon, there is usually a free shipping option without prime, and it is usually delivered as fast as if I would have had prime.

It's just something else you didn't know you needed to pay for until Bezos told you that you needed it.
Maybe that's true for you but let the rest of us decide for ourselves
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 03:41 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by easysurfer View Post
5% off Amazon purchases with Amazon Prime credit card .

Also discounts at Whole Foods if you happen to frequent that establishment.
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
Maybe that's true for you but let the rest of us decide for ourselves
Hey ivins....this is a message board where we share ideas and opinions. No one is trying to make a decision for you or for anyone else. Take care and have a great day!
freedomatlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomatlast View Post
Hey ivins....this is a message board where we share ideas and opinions. No one is trying to make a decision for you or for anyone else. Take care and have a great day!

When you say "you" I assume you are talking to the rest of us... ...

Cause you'd have to pry my Prime from my cold dead hands... I don't care if Jeff did tell me I needed it, I agree with him!
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:08 PM   #52
Administrator

I think the free and fast shipping, video streaming and rebates on Amazon credit card purchases and at Whole Foods are worth the price we pay. Plus, they gave me a free year recently for being a veteran.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:14 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
they gave me a free year recently for being a veteran.
Nice. Is there a way to sign up for that, or did they know from some other reason?
Old 08-06-2021, 01:21 PM   #54
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Nice. Is there a way to sign up for that, or did they know from some other reason?
It was in 2019, I believe. My wife was already a Prime member and we had always just ordered on her account, but then we made it a family account with the two of us and we qualified for the veteran deal. I can't remember where I heard about the deal, but I just went online with them and asked for it and they gave it to us. I can't recall how they verified.

Also, it may have been a one-time thing. Here is an article showing a 2019 discount and saying that there is no news from Amazon in 2021.

https://www.military.com/discounts/a...s-day-discount

Edit: And, looking at that article, it appears that it was just $40 off regular price, not completely free. So I was wrong earlier.
Old 08-06-2021, 01:29 PM   #55
Recycles dryer sheets

Amazon Music Unlimited for $79 / year is worth it to me. Now almost all the music is in HD for the same price. 75 million songs playlists, channels, etc. You can download the songs in HD to your phone on WiFi if you have a data limit. So much better the SiriusXM.
Piper20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 01:55 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

If and when I get my Sonos system, I'll probably join for music.

Until then, I'll keep taking advantage of the free Prime month every 6 months or so. Like W2R, I just use it for shipping, plus the temporary upgrade to 5 points on my Amazon card. I'm too lazy to get a firestick, or whatever it's called, to watch videos.

Last time was disappointing. I needed certain things ASAP, and Prime didn't apply to either one. The pots and pans for our new induction cooktop took 3 weeks to arrive.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2021, 03:37 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Obviously it depends on how much you buy from Amazon, how much you’d stream from Prime Video, cloud backup and other Prime benefits. We get free shipping on Amazon purchases without Prime on most purchases over $50 and since I’ve never streamed Prime videos I don’t know what I’m missing, blissfully unaware. All our backups are on external HDs. But it’s obviously worth it for millions of people.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 04:16 PM   #58

Quote:
Well Over the last day I have done a fairly good in depth look at Prime Video. Other than "Reminding" me of a few things I may like to see, I did not find anything compelling. Nothing that was not available elsewhere. Amazon originals or otherwise.
If I'm reading this correctly, you're saying Prime Originals are available elsewhere. Just curious where, for example, you'd find the Bosch or Goliath series if not on Prime? I guess you could rent them somewhere maybe?
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:17 PM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
If I'm reading this correctly, you're saying Prime Originals are available elsewhere. Just curious where, for example, you'd find the Bosch or Goliath series if not on Prime? I guess you could rent them somewhere maybe?
I took it to mean that he didn't find any of the Prime Originals sufficiently compelling.

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 05:19 PM   #60
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I took advantage of the 30 day free offer, and cancelled just before they charged my card. The second time it was offered, I signed up, but didn't cancel. That was a couple of years ago. I don't order as much from Amazon as I used to, but the convenience is just too darned appealing.

I could possibly save a little by not having Prime but, for the time being at least, they have suckered me in. I mean, who else will alert you on your phone when the delivery van is nearby, so you can track your package to within 10 or 20 feet, and watch as it gets closer to your house?
This is kind of where I am. I don’t order that much and when I do, I don’t need it the next day. I listen to other music apps. The streaming is fine, but we have plenty of other options. I suppose I am looking for reasons to keep it too.
I guess it comes down to what services you use or value.
Yoheadden is offline   Reply With Quote