Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-05-2021, 03:19 PM   #61
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
So what? He came up with a good idea, ran with it, and was successful. I fail to see the problem.
Right. What I find funny is so many forum members talk about the years of long hours they put into work and their jobs as a critical ingredient to their success.

Low skilled employment sucks. A few years back Wal-Mart was heavily criticized for giving their hourly employees irregular hours with no consistency over time and many last minute changes. This made it difficult to manage second jobs and child care. I see 4 x 10 hour shifts as an improvement over that.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2021, 03:23 PM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
loved when i was doing 4x10's.
I did 4x10s for 17 years. The first six years weren't by choice; the remaining 11 years were my choice, and I loved having three-day weekends every week. One less commute day, and another day to dive! Yes, they can be brutal, but worth it IMHO, depending on the job.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:27 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI Bill View Post
I did 4x10s for 17 years. The first six years weren't by choice; the remaining 11 years were my choice, and I loved having three-day weekends every week. One less commute day, and another day to dive! Yes, they can be brutal, but worth it IMHO, depending on the job.
My Megacorp tried 4x10s for a while. Megacorp prided itself on not using time clocks. Turned out employees found it easy to abuse the 4x10s because immediate supervision could not keep track. Eventually, 4x10s went the way of the dodo but time clocks never appeared, so there's that. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 03:38 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
My Megacorp tried 4x10s for a while. Megacorp prided itself on not using time clocks. Turned out employees found it easy to abuse the 4x10s because immediate supervision could not keep track. Eventually, 4x10s went the way of the dodo but time clocks never appeared, so there's that. YMMV
I suspect many here (like myself) worked for a MC that expected 5-10's (or more) with on call on weekends. Salary. No paid OT.

It was a part of the job that I accepted.
Old 02-05-2021, 03:42 PM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by f35phixer View Post
loved when i was doing 4x10's. Then went to every other Friday off, it also was nice!!!
4x10s? Wow..I was working 7x16s before I bailed (basically, to save my life).

Would have loved to sign up for 4x10s! Sounds like a great gig!
24601NoMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 05:57 PM   #66
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by HI Bill View Post
I have friends and family that are RNs. They love their schedule. 3 days on, 4 days off.
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 06:22 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
To my mind they really are the Evil Empire

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3gk...gacycle-shifts

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7mq...-stealing-tips

I am not going to shop on their website unless I cannot buy the item anywhere else.
I will use their website for my purposes and discard it like trash when I don't need it.

I Agree with you.

I myself have made a conscious choice to shop direct from a seller's website whenever possible. And to buy local from local merchants if that is possible.

Thing I most often buy online is used books. Used to just look at Amazon, but have actually found "better" prices and "better" shipping terms (like "free"), and usually just as good or better availability and choice of book options at thriftbooks.com

https://www.thriftbooks.com/
Old 02-05-2021, 06:43 PM   #68

I’m just gonna throw this out there...

Think about all the people who would still be un- or under- employed without Amazon over this past year.

Like my grandpappy used to say: “any job is a good job until you get a better one.”
Old 02-05-2021, 06:50 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

I buy most things from real stores, unless they are unavailable.
flyingaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:13 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by retire-early View Post
To my mind they really are the Evil Empire

https://www.vice.com/en/article/y3gk...gacycle-shifts

https://www.vice.com/en/article/v7mq...-stealing-tips

I am not going to shop on their website unless I cannot buy the item anywhere else.
I will use their website for my purposes and discard it like trash when I don't need it.

Thanks for that - I didn't even know I could tip the drivers!

How do I do this?

I resisted buying Amazon (the stock) for over two decades because it was "over-priced". However, I recently acquired some and it has been performing admirably so there are plenty of profits left for some nice tips to the drivers.

I never really liked Jeff Bezos but he's stepping down from his CEO role so maybe things will improve? In any case, I find Amazon works best for around 60% of my on-line shopping needs. Like you, I will let them go in a heartbeat if they ever fail to meet my needs.
RetiredAtThirty-eight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:14 PM   #71

I tend to disregard articles like these. If I stopped buying products from any company that had a negative review about something I’d have no place to buy anything. You can always find something wrong with any company if you look hard enough. If Amazon is not a good place to work go work someplace else.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 07:18 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CardsFan View Post
I suspect many here (like myself) worked for a MC that expected 5-10's (or more) with on call on weekends. Salary. No paid OT.

It was a part of the job that I accepted.
Absolutely true for so-called exempt (or "professional" or "salaried") folks like myself. My boss told me about 4x10s and I just laughed. I asked him if this meant I never had to come in on Saturday again. Then he laughed, knowingly.

BUT for hourly folks, even though we were non-union, we dotted every i and crossed every t that was in favor of an hourly w*rker. If an hourly w*rker had to stick their head in the door for 2 seconds after hours to check something, that was a 3-hour "call in." But not all hourly w*orkers returned the favor. I had a direct hourly report who, once I retired, abused the system routinely (my spies told me - but not her new boss.) She never got away with it when I was empl*yed (well, not often anyway) because, as you suggest, I was always there. Yet one more reason to be glad for FIRE. No more 10X5s or more and no more cheating reports to deal with or worry about. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:00 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Most of the deliveries are completed though contract delivery services. Not the "flex" program some are familiar with, but instead through the AMZN DSP program. Whether it is good or bad...that is your decision to make. I do know it has been pretty successful for AMZN to boost their delivery model which has been much of their success.

One of our neighbors own a DSP company and has been very successful with it and has 28 employees that he has scaled over a period of just a year.

Around here we have a large Amazon distribution facility on property that was an auto assembly plant for 70 yrs. I know a young couple with 2 kids that work there and seem to think Amazon is a decent employer. I had a conversation about the DSP program and they have intention to pursue it. I see the startup cost is $10k plus proof of assets =$30k. I think they lease the vehicles on behalf of the participants. A local real estate investor I met told me he attended a meeting where the DSP prospectus was presented and he thought it was high risk to have a bunch of delivery vans driving around in city traffic with valuable easily pilfered cargo. Now I think he wishes he’d gone for it.
Old 02-05-2021, 10:11 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

If you don't like your job find another one. Move on. Stop whining. Go away.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 10:11 PM   #75
Give me a forum ...

+1 I frequently buy from Amazon and will continue to do so because of their variety, availability, good prices and incredible customer service.

On the first article, I don't care... Amazon should have the ability to restructure their operations as they see fit, In this case they decided to close a facility and offered workers at the closing facility other jobs in Amazon. Would the authors of the article preferred that Amazon lay off those workers? This happens all the time in Corporate America... if they don't like it they can find work elsewhere.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2021, 11:17 PM   #76
Recycles dryer sheets

Amazon has given me access to huge variety of products at very reasonable prices. They are delivered to my door extremely rapidly. If I have to return something, I take it to the UPS store down the street and drop it off. It has been a savior while the state of California has kept me locked down for almost a year.

All of my transactions with them are completely voluntary.

What could I possibly have to complain about?
jurgs01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 01:16 AM   #77
gone traveling

i love seeing the amazon delivery truck. the products i buy are top of the line. if i don't like it, it's a 5 minute drive to return it. they have a good business model it seems. i happy with them.
kitesurfer2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 02:44 AM   #78
gone traveling

There are porch pirates in my area driving around looking for unattended packages in front of homes and looking to make a five finger discount
Nick12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2021, 03:23 AM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick12 View Post
So what? I'm pointing out a fact that he is a success story and by millions that continue to buy, just puts him in that wealth category. There is no issue in that.
I think effectively you are both on the same page.
Personally, I have no issues buying on Amazon.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #80
Give me a forum ...

I do the majority of my shopping at Amazon. I also shop on ebay and occasionally big box store mail order (Target, Walmart, Home Depot).

I don't feel guilty or dirty shopping from Amazon. But if I found a place that makes the shopping experience more convenient and better priced, as I shopper, I'd consider defecting. But at least for now, Amazon still the king of the hill as Amazon makes several things so convenient for the shopper.

Will be interesting to see if anything changes now with a new sheriff in town with Bezos stepping to the side.