Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-07-2021, 10:58 AM   #101
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Another false choice argument.
Is it really? My brother worked in that industry for over a decade. Big long houses is how it is done, with something like 100,000 chickens in each house. 12 houses in his location, so 1.2 million chickens raised every few months. This was a very small operation too.

I don't think you grasp how much chicken is consumed. Maybe why everything "tastes like chicken?"
Fermion is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-07-2021, 11:59 AM   #102
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fermion View Post
Is it really? My brother worked in that industry for over a decade. Big long houses is how it is done, with something like 100,000 chickens in each house. 12 houses in his location, so 1.2 million chickens raised every few months. This was a very small operation too.

I don't think you grasp how much chicken is consumed. Maybe why everything "tastes like chicken?"
I don't think you grasp that so much chicken is eaten because the cost has been driven so low by inhumane production means. Historically Americans ate much less meat and not coincidentally were much trimmer and healthier. There is a reason it is illegal to photograph the conditions on these 'farms", in some states, though I'm sure your brother has told you about the beak clipping and massive antibiotic feeding that is normal practice.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 12:03 PM   #103
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't think you grasp that so much chicken is eaten because the cost has been driven so low by inhumane production means.
I agree

Quote:
Historically Americans ate much less meat and not coincidentally were much trimmer and healthier.
They also worked a lot harder and for longer hours, and no one sat in front of the TV all day long.
Music Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 01:09 PM   #104
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
..........They also worked a lot harder and for longer hours, and no one sat in front of the TV all day long.
You bring up a good point. Maybe these Amazon work rules are really a healthy change for sedentary workers.
Old 02-07-2021, 03:44 PM   #105
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Historically Americans ate much less meat and not coincidentally were much trimmer and healthier.
Sorry, off topic but you don't think that maybe the thirty-fold increase in sugar consumption had more to do with the diabesity epidemic than how much meat was being eaten.
6miths is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 03:47 PM   #106

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
Sorry, off topic but you don't think that maybe the thirty-fold increase in sugar consumption had more to do with the diabesity epidemic than how much meat was being eaten.
This ^^^^^!!!!, as well as (and in addition to) all the other massive carbohydrate sources, high fructose corn syrup, etc.
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 04:13 PM   #107
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
Interesting the place I retired from did 12 hour shifts, 3 days on/3 days off, days to nights and vv every 12 days. We offered them various 8 hour shifts, they were adamantly against anything but their 12 hour rotation - for the 18+ years I was there, and they’re still on 12s. It was tougher on older employees but none of them wanted to give up 3 days off.
Same. My employees work 10hr days/4 days a week, 3 days off. Every so often I ask about splitting up shifts, the answer is always “no”. Can’t say I’d feel differently in their shoes... For me, the hardest part of working was getting up in the morning!
jrcunniff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:11 PM   #108
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6miths View Post
I definitely think that is a huge factor but I've created enough thread drift as it is.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:38 PM   #109
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Strangely I recall reading some articles about RV retired folks that would work at Amazon warehouses for a few months to earn $$ so they could continue their nomadic lifestyle.
Many had left regular jobs where you had to work all year long, year after year.

I don't like buying stuff from Amazon, as they mix various vendor things together, so counterfeit items are mixed in with the real ones, and when you buy, it's random which one you get.
Old 02-07-2021, 05:46 PM   #110
Give me a forum ...

I blame Jeff Bezos for the inhumane treatment of Costco chickens. And Mark Zuckerberg.

As far as the people who buy local because they don't like the practices/politics of Amazon or whatever, I suspect if someone did in-depth research on the local owners, a lot of them would be less than admirable too. Very few people could withstand that kind of scrutiny and come out looking sparkly.

That's not saying don't buy local or small or whatever. Just that people are human, and humans are fallible. I suspect if you sat down with Jeff Bezos and asked him if he was venal or evil, he'd be outraged. He probably thinks he's making the world better.
Old 02-07-2021, 06:20 PM   #111
Give me a forum ...

I use Amazon for their superb service (the best and easiest return policy!), speedy delivery, convenience and prices. I've never been this satisfied with any company EVER. I feel bad if the company is treating its employees poorly.

I used to boycott Walmart because of some of their practices. A friend of mine said, "I see a bunch of people shopping there all the time, which means their prices are good. I bet you'll shop there too when you get older." He was right. (And there is no Target in Canada!!!)
tmm99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 07:25 PM   #112
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
IHistorically Americans ate much less meat and not coincidentally were much trimmer and healthier.
I'm not sure what this has to do with Amazon, but I would love to see some documentation of that. My experience is that sugar and highly processed carbs are my enemy. YMMV/

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 08:29 PM   #113

Amazon has improved the quality of people’s lives by making online shopping incredibly convenient. For those who don’t have time to go to brick and mortar stores or perhaps don’t feel comfortable going during the pandemic, Amazon has been a huge benefit.

Even if I wanted to shop elsewhere, I have no way of knowing whether the next company I’m buying from treats their workers well or even worse than Amazon. I’ve worked for many small businesses that treated their employees horribly. Buying local does not provide any assurance that you are buying from a company that treats its workers any better than Amazon.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 09:36 PM   #114
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I'm not sure what this has to do with Amazon, but I would love to see some documentation of that.
I'm pretty sure this is correct. Historically Americans ate less meat, vegetables, fruit, bread, potatoes, rice, sugar, etc. And were much trimmer and healthier. Supersize me!
Old 02-07-2021, 10:16 PM   #115
Give me a forum ...

Yeah, we damn near starved to death on Plymouth rock.
RobbieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 11:23 PM   #116
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Yeah, we damn near starved to death on Plymouth rock.
You must be older than me...
Old 02-08-2021, 02:19 AM   #117
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyber888 View Post
At first, you might think that everything goes to Bezos. But, there are tens of thousands of micro, small and medium size businesses and individual business who depend on the Amazon platform to sell their products.
True, but I'm sure Bezos gets a cut of it all. Otherwise, how did he get so rich? YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2021, 11:41 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
True, but I'm sure Bezos gets a cut of it all. Otherwise, how did he get so rich? YMMV
Of course Amazon gets a cut of every transaction on their small business platform, and a fee if they hold the inventory and ship to the customer. But. So does Google and so does Walmart.

They are aggregators. They have to be paid for the services they provide the small business. And all of them have been very successful at this.

- Rita
Old 02-08-2021, 11:50 AM   #119
Give me a forum ...

Well, seems as though the AMZN growth is far from abating. A lawyer's forum I am on had quite the discussion from the patent/trademark folks and it seems that there is quite the backlog at the USTPO because of AMZN submitting a whole messload of new trademarks and patents. Also, I heard on the truckers channel on Sirius XM (you would be amazed at what you can learn on there) that AMZN will probably buy out a fairly large trucking company and a dispatch company that is used by a LOT of independent truckers.

Perhaps I need to shift some of my "parked cash" into AMZN.
Old 02-08-2021, 12:58 PM   #120

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I blame Jeff Bezos for the inhumane treatment of Costco chickens. And Mark Zuckerberg.

As far as the people who buy local because they don't like the practices/politics of Amazon or whatever, I suspect if someone did in-depth research on the local owners, a lot of them would be less than admirable too. Very few people could withstand that kind of scrutiny and come out looking sparkly.

That's not saying don't buy local or small or whatever. Just that people are human, and humans are fallible. I suspect if you sat down with Jeff Bezos and asked him if he was venal or evil, he'd be outraged. He probably thinks he's making the world better.
If a person boycotted every business they disagreed with politically, that person would end up sitting naked in a hole drinking rainwater and eating grubs. My only issue is when a business owner advertises their politics like a badge of honor, thus losing some customers on purpose. That's just arrogance, IMO. I don't recall Bezos doing that, beside people knowing about him because he's a big-shot.

And in the future, when Soylent Green is delivered directly to my residence by Amazon drones because the Pandemic Du Jour restricts any movement of the 20 billion people on earth, I want to hear "Soylent Green is Chicken!" instead of "Soylent Green is Soy Paste fortified by Melamine!".

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote